Author Topic: What makes your YSK 1919 special coin?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
What makes your YSK 1919 special coin?
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:34:58 AM »
Many of us, coin collectors or dealers wanna purchase those high graded coins, no matter they are raw coins or graded by NGC/PCGS/ANACS or other American grading company. But have you ever think what makes, except the high grade your YSK 1919 special coin. Well I did some research and I discovered some special signs on my YSK dollars dated 1919.

Let's take a look on my photos:

1a picture. A tail which is getting out from the ribbon (those YSK 1919 are rarer than others)

1b picture. Small leave variety YSK 1919 on the reverse. The small leave is little coiled (not so rare as YSK 1919-picture 1a).

1c picture. "T" variety of YSK 1919-extremely rare variety of YSK 1919 dollar. The second character means "year" has "T" letter which is more common on YSK dollars issued in 1921.

1d picture. Long leave variety of YSK 1919-not so rare among those all YSK 1919. The long leave on reverse is located on the right side and it is more clear than others.

1e picture. On obverse of this YSK 1919 chinese character mean "made" is connected with lower part and prolong. This variety is also extremely rare type.

1f picture. This one is very interesting. Original it is small leave variety but you can clearly see on the picture 3rd smaller leave, so actually there are 3 small leaves. Extremely rare type also.

1g picture. The 6th chinese character on obverse of this YSK 1919 is connected. How rare it is well the same rare as the one on picture 1a.

1h picture. The first character on obverse of this YSK 1919 means "made" is not connected. There is small thin line which is going though the character to the bottom. And there is no connection on one part of the character which makes that it looks like a boat. It's called boat variety YSK 1919. Extremely rare type!

1i picture. Well this is the rarest YSK 1919 variety. It's called 5 lollipops variety. Why? Because first of all on the reverse it has on the bottom: 5 teeth with 5 small balls which looks like lollipops. Except that one leave has a dot inside on the reverse. On the obverse is also has something interesting there are 2 dots inside 2 big teeth. One tooth with dot inside is located on the beginning of Yuan's uniform and the other is just on the end of Yuan's uniform (I think is unusual mark). Finally the first chinese character which means "made" is connected. This is the rarest with all YSK 1919 varieties-lollipops variety. Take a look also on long leave (which is more clear). Usual on those long leave variety you can find 5 lollipops and from very common variety (like on picture 1d) it can turn into the rarest one!

1j picture. Finally the last one. On the obverse of this YSK 1919 one part of the chinese character "made" (the first character) is very straight line. Do you see this. This is also extremely rare type.

Now take a look on you YSK 1919 dollars and find the thing which will make it looks special and worth more when you will decide to sell:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Re: What makes your YSK 1919 special coin?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
Many of us, coin collectors or dealers wanna purchase those high graded coins, no matter they are raw coins or graded by NGC/PCGS/ANACS or other American grading company. But have you ever think what makes, except the high grade your YSK 1919 special coin. Well I did some research and I discovered some special signs on my YSK dollars dated 1919.

Let's take a look on my photos:

1a picture. A tail which is getting out from the ribbon (those YSK 1919 are rarer than others)

1b picture. Small leave variety YSK 1919 on the reverse. The small leave is little coiled (not so rare as YSK 1919-picture 1a).

1c picture. "T" variety of YSK 1919-extremely rare variety of YSK 1919 dollar. The second character means "year" has "T" letter which is more common on YSK dollars issued in 1921.

1d picture. Long leave variety of YSK 1919-not so rare among those all YSK 1919. The long leave on reverse is located on the right side and it is more clear than others.

1e picture. On obverse of this YSK 1919 chinese character mean "made" is connected with lower part and prolong. This variety is also extremely rare type.

1f picture. This one is very interesting. Original it is small leave variety but you can clearly see on the picture 3rd smaller leave, so actually there are 3 small leaves. Extremely rare type also.

1g picture. The 6th chinese character on obverse of this YSK 1919 is connected. How rare it is well the same rare as the one on picture 1a.

1h picture. The first character on obverse of this YSK 1919 means "made" is not connected. There is small thin line which is going though the character to the bottom. And there is no connection on one part of the character which makes that it looks like a boat. It's called boat variety YSK 1919. Extremely rare type!

1i picture. Well this is the rarest YSK 1919 variety. It's called 5 lollipops variety. Why? Because first of all on the reverse it has on the bottom: 5 teeth with 5 small balls which looks like lollipops. Except that one leave has a dot inside on the reverse. On the obverse is also has something interesting there are 2 dots inside 2 big teeth. One tooth with dot inside is located on the beginning of Yuan's uniform and the other is just on the end of Yuan's uniform (I think is unusual mark). Finally the first chinese character which means "made" is connected. This is the rarest with all YSK 1919 varieties-lollipops variety. Take a look also on long leave (which is more clear). Usual on those long leave variety you can find 5 lollipops and from very common variety (like on picture 1d) it can turn into the rarest one!

1j picture. Finally the last one. On the obverse of this YSK 1919 one part of the chinese character "made" (the first character) is very straight line. Do you see this. This is also extremely rare type.

Now take a look on you YSK 1919 dollars and find the thing which will make it looks special and worth more when you will decide to sell:)

Interesting post, Kondi, thanks.  Do I gather that I have the 1a variety with the extra piece sticking above the ribbon on the reverse?

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4316.0

Since I gather that that is a less common variety, I wonder how much of a price premium would one expect for this NGC XF40, compared to an NGC XF40 of a more common variety of this 1919?  Thanks.

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
Re: What makes your YSK 1919 special coin?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:07:23 AM »
Great post! I have 1a, and I guess 1g?... The 華 character is connected, but the 造 character is different though: the 士 has a long straight bottom line, except it isn't connected with the 口 below. Both coins are AU, what kind of premium would command these variations? It seems like aside the "boat" variations, those you listed are not accounted for on the Beijing market.