Author Topic: Confucius kg silver medal  (Read 2787 times)

Offline fractalfate

• Trade Count: (+1)
Confucius kg silver medal
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:29:31 PM »
Xu just posted a silver kilogram Confucius medal for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-1kg-silver-medal-ancient-Outstanding-historical-figures-Confucius-/270838948247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0f426197.
Google search revealed only this link: http://www.chinacoin.com/en/shop/tu_154.html
Looks like it is a 2011 medal with mintage of only 6000. Is this item an official China Mint product? Any other information? Seems like a good buy if it is...almost too good.

Offline fractalfate

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Confucius kg silver medal
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »
Also located this information: medal is apparently minted by the Shenzhen Guobao Mint Company. This website: http://www.mintsoftheworld.com/chinapeoplesrepublicmainland.html lists the Shenzhen Guobao Mint Co., Ltd., as a 'branch company' for China Gold Coin Inc., an official mint of the PRC. Interesting.

Underbidder

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-1kg-silver-medal-ancient-Outstanding-historical-figures-Confucius-/270838948247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0f426197.
Google search revealed only this link: http://www.chinacoin.com/en/shop/tu_154.html
Looks like it is a 2011 medal with mintage of only 6000. Is this item an official China Mint product? Any other information? Seems like a good buy if it is...almost too good.

That's the nicest new kilo I've seen in a while, since the 2010 YunGang kilo Grotto.  Odd that its a 2011 with a pretty high mintage of of 6,000.. and none seen up until now?  
Odd we havn't seen any others..

Underbidder

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »
And....IT'S GONE !! :w00t:

Taking another look at this, it really does have that " too good to be true" feel.  The detail is incredible, and there is nothing like a detailed beautifully done kilo for "knock you off your socks off eye-appeal" for me, (only because I'll likely never hold a kilo GOLD).

The kilo Libertads are, for example, more than stunning.  This medal may be in the same class.  It'll be interestimg to see if there's a warehouse full hoard, or what the story is.  But its a beautiful design, with intricate detailing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:21:00 PM by Underbidder »

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 02:28:17 AM »
Nice intricate design on the obverse.  Would of, could of, should of but who knows, as this is silver and we all know silver reputation with WSOD. 

Underbidder

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 04:07:39 AM »

Xu is selling the 1Kg while "...tu_154.html" site is of 5Kg. Hmmm.

Offline badon

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 05:44:38 PM »
It was made by a private company, according to the newer listings for it.

Offline GDG's

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
It was made by a private company, according to the newer listings for it.

I am POSITIVE it was made by a private company. This is NOT a coin from any China Mint. Ask me how I know.

Forget it. I asked Xu and he told me. The only stupid question is!

Underbidder

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »
This is NOT a coin from any China Mint. Ask me how I know.

That conflicts with the link in the thread starter: "is made by Shenzhen Guobao Mint Co", unless they have a different facility other than the SG Mint itself?.

http://www.chinacoin.com/en/shop/tu_154.html

"On the eve of Spring Festival in 2011, Baoquan Coin Investment Co., Ltd. launches a silver commemorative medallion of Confucius in Beijing. Featuring distinctive modeling and 5- kilogram-weight bulky body, it soon received increasing attention in the precious metal market.

Made by authorized organization, Decorated by advanced techniques

The reporter has learned that this silver commemorative medallion of Confucius is made by Shenzhen Guobao Mint Co., Ltd. Shenzhen Guobao Mint Co., Ltd. is an enterprise integrating scientific research, sales and storage, under the People's Bank of China Gold Coin Corporation's head office..."

Lots of medals are made by one of the mints, for private firms. If text is correct, this might perhaps be one? Just not an Official China Mint Product?  It might still have value as an art piece, like the 1990 Goldfish, but it will likely not reach that level due to the high 6k mintage.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:51:49 PM by Underbidder »

Offline GDG's

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
That conflicts with the link in the thread starter: "is made by Shenzhen Guobao Mint Co", unless they have a different facility other than the SG Mint itself?.

http://www.chinacoin.com/en/shop/tu_154.html

"On the eve of Spring Festival in 2011, Baoquan Coin Investment Co., Ltd. launches a silver commemorative medallion of Confucius in Beijing. Featuring distinctive modeling and 5- kilogram-weight bulky body, it soon received increasing attention in the precious metal market.

Made by authorized organization, Decorated by advanced techniques

The reporter has learned that this silver commemorative medallion of Confucius is made by Shenzhen Guobao Mint Co., Ltd. Shenzhen Guobao Mint Co., Ltd. is an enterprise integrating scientific research, sales and storage, under the People's Bank of China Gold Coin Corporation's head office..."

Lots of medals are made by one of the mints, for private firms. If text is correct, this might perhaps be one? Just not an Official China Mint Product?  It might still have value as an art piece, like the 1990 Goldfish, but it will likely not reach that level due to the high 6k mintage.

Link to Company making coin.

http://www.gold9999.com.cn/en/company/

Underbidder

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »
From the link you show:

"Souvenir Badge is manfactured by Shenzhe Guobao Mint Co., Ltd., issued by Shenzhen Zhaojin Metal Exchange Online Co., Ltd., and sold through Industrial Bank, Commercial Bank and Bank of China in Shenzhen"

Seems to say although its being sold by a private company, its still made by Shenzhen Guobao Mint Co., Ltd,  and seems to have the likelihood its made at the Shenzhen Guobao Mint  for this private company. That woul make it a coin from a Chinese mint.  That would be important and give it more status.
It appears very much like some of the private silver medals from the 1989, 1990 years, that have quite a lot of value.

Offline GDG's

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
From the link you show:

"Souvenir Badge is manfactured by Shenzhe Guobao Mint Co., Ltd., issued by Shenzhen Zhaojin Metal Exchange Online Co., Ltd., and sold through Industrial Bank, Commercial Bank and Bank of China in Shenzhen"

Seems to say although its being sold by a private company, its still made by Shenzhen Guobao Mint Co., Ltd,  and seems to have the likelihood its made at the Shenzhen Guobao Mint  for this private company. That woul make it a coin from a Chinese mint.  That would be important and give it more status.
It appears very much like some of the private silver medals from the 1989, 1990 years, that have quite a lot of value.

>>>Souvenir Badge is manfactured by Shenzhe Guobao Mint Co., Ltd., issued by Shenzhen Zhaojin Metal Exchange Online Co., Ltd., and sold through Industrial Bank, Commercial Bank and Bank of China in Shenzhen.<<<

I don't want to get into semantics BUT it wasn't "issued" by the Government. I don't know if this means anything or not but Xu told me specifically it was made by a "private company". It looks like a nice coin but I'll pass.

I did order some colorized Ag coins which has always been anathema to me but I was curious so I ordered a few.

I also ordered that book on China Coins written in Chinese. I'll have to have a friend help me out with it.