Author Topic: 1988 Lunar Dragon, Look at this coin I don't understand.....  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Pandad

• Trade Count: (0)
1988 Lunar Dragon, Look at this coin I don't understand.....
« on: September 24, 2011, 03:51:59 AM »
Ok I'm still fairly new to grading coins.  Actually I submitted my very first coins to NCS/NGC earlier this month.  I am under the impression that a MS or PF69 coin is nearly flawless and that a 70 grade is almost mythical for Chinese coins older than 01 or so.
If you look at this Lunar Dragon on ebay the rim on the toward the bottom looks like it's been in a washing machine with rocks. 
Can somebody explain to me how this is even possible????
Joe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-China-Chinese-100-Yuan-1oz-Gold-Coin-NGC-Proof-69-Year-Dragon-RARE-/220860168638?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336c4ab9be

Offline buynicething

Re: 1988 Lunar Dragon, Look at this coin I don't understand.....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »

I cannot tell for sure, but it may be that the coin was flawed like that when it left the mint.
If there is something wrong with the strike, it does not normally go against the grade.  Ngc does not grade against mint errors.

Or it could be NGC did a horrible job on this one.  They do make mistakes.  Although they are normally very good
I have seen coins that are clearly seriously over graded.  It happens.

Badon would be the one with the best and most precise answer to this one.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 01:28:33 AM »
Another possibility is the photo may appear to illustrate anomalies that are not actually present on the coin itself.

I’m sure others can attest that photographing coins can be challenging. I use a medium level technical camera and have issues getting perfect photos. I recently took pictures of 70 grade gold pandas which were absolutely stunning to look at but for some reason the photos did not look all that great.   

Not that this is conclusively the case but just one possibility.     

Offline buynicething

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:31:53 AM »
Another possibility is the photo may appear to illustrate anomalies that are not actually present on the coin itself.

I’m sure others can attest that photographing coins can be challenging. I use a medium level technical camera and have issues getting perfect photos. I recently took pictures of 70 grade gold pandas which were absolutely stunning to look at but for some reason the photos did not look all that great.   

Not that this is conclusively the case but just one possibility.     

Very true

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
Ok I'm still fairly new to grading coins.  Actually I submitted my very first coins to NCS/NGC earlier this month.  I am under the impression that a MS or PF69 coin is nearly flawless and that a 70 grade is almost mythical for Chinese coins older than 01 or so.
If you look at this Lunar Dragon on ebay the rim on the toward the bottom looks like it's been in a washing machine with rocks. 
Joe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-China-Chinese-100-Yuan-1oz-Gold-Coin-NGC-Proof-69-Year-Dragon-RARE-/220860168638?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336c4ab9be

This may be a lighting issue. I don't see any coin damage in the third photo.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline GDG's

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
T
Joe
[/quote

That is a Great Coin. I have a 69 too. The relief just jumps out at you. I plan on getting the 5 oz too. The relief is so awesome which makes this coin desirable to me. PCGS it's almost impossible to get a 70 grade. I sent a PERFECT coin into them. The rim was perfect as the obverse/reverse. Received a 69. I grew up grading coins. All I can say buy the coin. NGC allows you to see more of then rim which I like but PCGS seems to be a tougher grader of Chinese Coins in my eyes. Anyway Great Coin.

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »
Joe
My understanding is that the "field" is what's graded, not the rim. Anyone????

Offline GDG's

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
My understanding is that the "field" is what's graded, not the rim. Anyone????

You can have a perfect obverse/reverse but the slightest rim ding or rim blemish keeps it from a 70.