Author Topic: NCS or not?  (Read 5439 times)

Underbidder

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NCS or not?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 05:52:56 AM »
I think I'm with you, Obsidian, on this. The seal in the middle sems to be consistent, although different.

But isn't it sad we even have to speculate, about whether a top sellers offerings are resealed or not?

Ideally, we should be able to say.  " Oh yeah, xxxxx's coins, good as gold, no question if they've been tampered with or re sealed"

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
I believe this is actually what the mint seal looked like for the flowered lunar coins.  I did not purchase these from Xu Hong but here is a photo of a similar seal from Xu Hong.  He says it is original mint sealed.  I have also seen a couple of others with this same seal from other sellers.  Xu Hong also has a full sheet and the part of the seal that looks different goes down the middle of the full sheet.

The 10-coin sheet shown in the picture with a flat seal line next to the braided seal in the center is definitely OMP. The flat seal can be at the center or edge of the 10-coin sheet depending on the location of the cut from the master sheet. This is true for 10-coin sheet of all Mints and all modern Chinese coins.

Offline badon

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »
"seals" are a cultural thing with China. They value seals over more modern authentication methods, for no practical reason other than culture. Seals have been obsolete since at least the 1400's - about 500 to 600 years since better forgery-resistant technology has been available from Europe. But, chopsticks and hieroglyphic writing systems have been obsolete far longer and they still use those, so...

One thing is certain, the wealthier people are more progressive (that's how they got wealthy), and they don't put much faith in a "seal". They, or their agents, look at the coin primarily, and NGC grading helps weed out the lower quality coins that are a waste of their time.

Double sealed coins, and dealers that reseal, are catering to the buyers who like the meaning behind a seal. I suspect that at least some buyers know that many "seals" are fake, but they like it anyway. It's Chinese kitsch. In the West, it's kind of like loud, shaking motorcycles in America - Americans LIKE it that way, even though the technology that makes them loud and shaky has been obsolete for many decades.

Maybe it's a sense of continuity people like. "They don't make them like they used to" is the popular sentiment that comes to mind. People like things to be stable and reliable, and having to buy a new computer, new phone, new TV, new car, new wife, new house, new kids, new education, new career, new government, new currency, etc every 5 years is upsetting for people, regardless of culture.

That's why some people still love Elvis :)

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »
... and having to buy a new computer, new phone, new TV, new car, new wife, new house, new kids, new education, new career, new government, new currency, etc every 5 years is upsetting for people, regardless of culture.

Some of these new every year will not be that bad  ;)

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »
Some of these new every year will not be that bad  ;)

I disagree with the new wife and house every year.  Everytime you switch wives you lose 1/2 of your stuff and moving sucks!

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »
I disagree with the new wife and house every year.  Everytime you switch wives you lose 1/2 of your stuff and moving sucks!

Let go of the house with the wife, and use the chinese coins to allure the new one..

Offline exchange

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
"seals" are a cultural thing with China. They value seals over more modern authentication methods, for no practical reason other than culture.

I like the odds.

exchange