Author Topic: Toning?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Sundsvall

• Trade Count: (0)
Toning?
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »
Hi,

I am new to collecting Silver Pandas.

I found a dealer that has several NGC MS69 graded Pandas, but they have some discoloration and toning.

The 1989 Panda has a violet hue and the 2001-D Panda has a brownish ring around the edge that runs the entire circumference.

Does these discolorations take away from its MS69 grading?

Are these pandas worth considering?

Thanks,
Sundsvall

Offline buynicething

Re: Toning?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
Welcome Sundsvall

Toning if natural, and not extremely ugly would not influence the grade.  I would not worry at all about the toning.  
It is my personal belief that a none toned modern coin is better than a toned one because it will be easier to sell when the time comes.
So in my opinion it matters, but hardly at all.  I would not hesitate to buy a coin just because of toning.

White spots or milk spots are a whole different story.  They should be avoided and normally bring a significantly lower price.

Offline Sundsvall

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »
The coin I am looking at is a 2001-D Panda with a 2mm ring brownish discoloration ring around the circumference. It seems that the 2001, 2001-D and 2002 series of Pandas are prone to this discoloration.

I manage to obtain a clean 2001 panda.

I prefer the clean look, but that might just be my lack of acuity showing.

Should I still consider 2001-D?

Offline buynicething

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:40:10 PM »
Yes I have seen this often on that particular design.  No reason to let that get in the way of purchasing the coin.