Author Topic: Yuan Shih Kai 3 year part 1  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Giantgg

• Trade Count: (0)
Yuan Shih Kai 3 year part 1
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
Hi,

I have many yuan shih kai coin given by my father when I was in primary school..These coin with me very long time. According to my father all these coin given by his chinese boss came to asian to start business and stay. I do not know is genuine or not and would like to know more about this coin like where this coin is minted. A friend of mine said is real but he cannot 100% confirm as he told me he is not expert..according to him he said I have O Triangle like that very brief.
I need help from member here to englighten me. Million Thanks I start with 3 years coin first. I uploaded once but fail maybe the attachment is too many so I split into 2 title like Part1 and Part2...

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Yuan Shih Kai 3 year part 1
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 11:22:39 PM »
Coin: B, E, F, G - 1 dollar Yuan Shih Kai 1914 (obverse shows 6 chinese characters, mean year 3 of Republic of China). You add 3 to 1911 and you have date of issue: 1914. (Coin E has few test marks) Mint: Tianjin Central Mint

Coin H, I, J - 1 dollar Yuan Shih Kai 1914. This is Tibet variety. I was issue in 1950's by communists in Szechuan province to pay for building the road in Tibet. It is known as Tibet variety. Obverse of each such of coin has not clear hair. On the reverse of each such of coin leaves are very visuable (very clear) and also 2 chinese characters, especially second character "yuan" is connected in triangular shape. They called it trangular variety or Tibet variety.

Coin: A - 1 dollar Yuan Shih Kai 1914 with mint mark "O" in knot of ribbon bowl. Y#329.4 if I am not wrong in SCWC.
It is rare coin and the most valuable in your collection.
This coin was issued probably also in Tianjin Central Mint in 1948-49. The mint mark "O" indicates it. But no one is sure 100%.

Coin: C, D - 1 dollar Yuan Shih Kai 1914. This is Kansu (Gansu) province variety. More rare then common fatman 1914. It was minted by Kansu Mint in 1921 or later. The Yuan's head is bigger on obverse of the coin. You can see the double-fold eyelid of Yuan's portrait and also the bold strokes of the Chinese characters on the reverse. Silver content: 60-70%. Gansu coins circulated at a discount in the Repubic period for their low silver content, however right now they are worth more than general issued fatman dollars 1914. Kansu variety of YSK dollar was made probably by one of the warlord. In this case that's the warlord from Kansu province. There are also other varieties like Sinkiang variety and Shandong.

All coins are genuine!

Good luck and best wishes:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:48:48 AM »
About your O Triangle coin (Coin A).
Well it is not Fatman dollar 1914 "O" with triangle second character.
You have second variety of Fatman dollar 1914 with "O" but not triangle one.
Let take a look on my reverse of my 2 Fatman dollars 1914 with "O" mint mark: one triangle one and second not.
One the picture 1a you see traingle one, where second character on the reverse in connceted in triangle shape. The leaves are more clear and mint mark "O" is very delicate shape.
One the picture 1b you can see the reverse of fatman dollar 1914 with mint mark "O", but second chinese character doesn't creat triangle shape, leaves are not so clear, however mint mark "O" is more clear and closer to the ribbon (usually). So yours is not triangle one. You have a few Tibet YSK dollars 1914 where every second character has traiangle shape-please check your coins.
Now let's talk about your 2 Kansu YSK dollars 1914.
Coin C is different from coin D (obverse of both coins). The difference is hidding in 6 characters (actually 3 which I marked on red) characters are bold. I have similar coin for sell (like your Coin D)
Please take a look on your coin D and compare with coin C (compare obverses)
I am sure you will notice this.
The picture 1c (my coin) you can see the same bold 3 characters as on your Coin D picture. I marked also red dots on others chinese characters (those parts of chinese characters are also bold---but not whole chinese character). On your Coin D 3 chinese characters are bold + 2 chinese characters (1 part in each chinese character) which I marked with red dot are also bold. Now take a look on my coin (picture 1c). On my coin 4 chinese characters are bold + 1 chinese character has only 1 part which is bold (red dot).
This Kansu variety with 3 chinese characters which are bold is a new variety discover by me, which means that there are 4 varieties of Kansu YSK dollar 1914:
1) The one which doesn't have bold 3 chinese characters on obverse
2) The one which has bold 3 chinese characters on onverse (new discovered variety by me)
3) People from Kansu variety
4) Kansu variety with 2 chinese character on obverse (rare type)

Hope that my explenation helped you:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 05:01:45 AM »
Once again backing to your Coin D.
Actually the first character on your Coin D is not bold. Only 3 which I marked in red circle + a part of one chinese character which I marked with red dot. Do you see this?
Now take a look on my coin. It has exactly the same 3 chinese characters bold (marked in blue circles) + a part of one chinese character (marked on blue color) + the first chinese character (a part of this chinese character which means BTW "year" is bold--not whole character).
But discover that at least those 3 chinese characters are bold on yours coin and also on mine coin I assume that this is new variety of Kansu YSK dollar 1914.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline Giantgg

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:33:53 AM »
Hi Kondi,

Thankyou very much on your detail explaination. Respect!!!

Once I free I will go to bank to access my safety box then I can snap some photos of the rest of my coin and posted here again. Right now a bit hectic from my workload...

Million Thanks again ....

Offline KONDi

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:06 AM »
You are welcome, the pleasure is always on my side to help you:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com