Author Topic: Brief Review of Alternatives for Obtaining a PCGS MS70/PR70 Panda  (Read 18381 times)

Offline glgehman001

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Brief Review of Alternatives for Obtaining a PCGS MS70/PR70 Panda
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »
I agree. On old Morgans Dollars maybe, but not on newly minted coins. Many Morgans are artificially toned anyway and most people cannot tell. But many, many people love toning so that is part of collecting and a good thing. I really am a Gold collector and have sold most of my silver Morgans to a private collector.

Maybe the newly renovated Australian Mint can give you your perfect coins with it's robots doing the coining.  As far as the Morgans, that's toning on on Uncirculated coins,  I'm sure you well know no Collector/Investor type would want circulated coins, which is when they really show their age, who handled, this?  Did Clint  Eastwood get it in a Christmas card and buy a comic book, etc...

I on the other hand have a collection of Buffalo nickels in strictly circulated condition, fortunately, or unfortunately, there are some rarities in there that are quite valuable even in their circulated condition, it is a complete set.  I started it with my dad while I was a child and he passed in 95, so I couldn't sell it.  It was hard enough to have to sell the jewelry he gave me, but I rationalized that by saying I don't wear it anymore and it may never be worth more than it is now, this was in April (and guess what it actually is worth more now--duh!) and I have pictures.  Which I suppose I could do with the nickels if I had too.

As far as Modern coins, if I order a Mint Set or a Proof Set from the current year, I want it to look perfect, do they?  Rarely, and this is straight from the mint (US).

Do I want toning on a 5 year old set?  Not particularly but if the aesthetics are pleasing then it is acceptable.

On a 20 year old coin, apparently even left in (the case of Chines Pandas) its double factory sealing toning can occur.

Hey maybe sealing them in one of those vacuum packed food savers?  Or is their wrapper harmful?  Oh I know a canning jar, vacuum packed for your freshness, but then again glass melts at such a low temperature, but I don't think it is reactive with metal.

So I guess I am just all over the place, accept the coin on its merits not necessarily the holder, box, etc.  But does it provide you with what you are looking for, if it has flaws are they acceptable, would it fit the graded range (if graded) for the type...etc...

I just wish the grading companies would say toning is acceptable on these types and year coins, but not these, or toning or other silver reactive related occurrences on a coin do not affect the grade. 

What I do not like and wouldn't accept is the horrible sh*t spots on gold coins, unless you are going for the Little Orphan Annie faced collection or filling a gap temporarily...

Again, just my opinion.

Oh, which reminds me back to the title topic, how can you find a 70 ungraded coin and assure it will come back that way?  I've have several which looked flawless under 20x magnification, obverse, reverse and the third side, but came back 69, yet one where I felt there was an obvious flaw came back 70.  Just luck?  Laziness?  Repetition?  Because if you could automate a computer program to scan a coin, compare it to those in a database of the same year and type, then give it a grade based on it's physical appearance, with a printout of the "flawed" areas.  Then have a human look at it for other qualities that may distinguish it, and verify that maybe one of the flaws is a new variety and not a flaw, maybe you might have something, lower grading time, cheaper grading...

I dunno maybe not...  I know the capsules are sonically sealed, but they can be unsealed, so I'd like to see not only a label with the grade that looks sorta like a Chinese cert, or a form of currency, but a tamper proof seal.  The typing on paper isn't cutting anymore, not for these prices.  And conservation of Silver coins is a good idea, but OMG, the coin didn't cost that much.  So the only way I can get a 70 is to pay for it after it has been graded and encapsulated, but I am still taking the chance that some unscrupulous person swapped coins or labels.  I was better off searching until I found  what may be a 70 and then sending it off for grading, but then they base it on how much it's worth, how quickly do you want it, etc. etc.  Makes my head spin.

Sorry this ended up being so long.  I do like that PCGS had put the name of the minting facility on some of the Pandas, even though they got one of mine wrong, shouldn't they have Peter's book on file, I heard they had an extensive library.  I'll even send them a copy and after grading all of my coins, had they kept the out seals they would have had the designs of the various mints, unless the auction house removed the coins from the plastic before sending for grading.

Shutting up now.  Silver Pandas end tonight Pacific time on great collections for those interested.  I'll update post.

Was still nice to hear everyone's opinion on things numismatic, just as I was about to give up because I had worked so hard on those Pandas, was still working on finishing, but that was the box marked NOT FOR SALE. :(

Hopefully some of you all will be getting them and can enjoy them, and they won't be going to some cutthroat dealers,  if only I had thought of coming here a month ago when the listings moved from the Eagles to the Pandas.  UGH.  Well I do know one person on here was able to obtain a coin and he was pleased, I don't think he received it yet, but he shouldn't be any less pleased once it arrives.

Be Well,
G

Offline badon

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
Yes, yes I do :)

Offline glgehman001

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
 :biggrin:

Offline 94opalmtx

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 06:54:49 PM »
I now only purchase slabbed coins for 3 reasons.
1. Less fraud
2. Safer to handle
3. I fear degrading in OMP

That being said, I can see why some prefer OMP, which is great since we can all collect what we like best

Offline glgehman001

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »
I's startin' me a store.  Got no capital, very little in the way of inventory, but I got the name the licenses and the website, need a logo.

Trying to convince my brother's rich friends, he has 2 that are sick rich, they would play these MMO's and buy stuff in the game, damn if I'd only started selling virtual goods, because you know how impatient people can be, and the more that you buy the better your character, faster you level, more rare stuff you get, etc. and if you can't buy the stuff you want with gold in game you can pay someone to play for you...

And people had bitched forever of buying a $15 CD for 2 good songs, so I was like sell the songs for 99cents and this was in the 80's, instead I went on my merry way and played Zork instead of learning to program.

Good thing about this business, aside from the low product margin, is that if these guys do give me the cash and I utterly fail, I probably will have enough merchandise to get them their original investment back.  But I am not holding my breath, just trying to keep my head above water right now, still haven't found permanent work since May 2011 and the auction proceeds are long gone, and I think we are worse off now...  How does $10,000 on $100,000 for 12 months sound?  Nah, they'd never go for it, don't think I could ask anyways.

Oooo a coconut fell down on the opposite side of my deserted island.   Yay!

Happy Obama, help those that never helped themselves but ignore those who can but have fallen on hard times or those who can't work....  Argh Tangent.

To coins, how do you feel about hydrosonic type jewelry cleaners?  I played with one the other day, the copper coin didn't come all the way clean, but it rainbow tarnished like crazy, and it feels like it lost all its luster.

I'm still an advocate for not cleaning coins, but I started out a while back with roman coins, and basically they looked like little discs of dirt, so they had to be cleaned, and the there was a type of wax (forget the name) you used to preserve them, supposedly it was invented  by the British Museum, then sold and the formula changed ..... yadda yadda.

How's things out in the Chinese coin world?  Oh speaking of which the one coin that didn't grade was a 1996 Panda, and as soon as I looked at it I knew it was fake, it was too shiny, and that waffle is because they put more plating on than usual (I assume), cause when I first tested it came back as silver, then I filed away some of the surface, and I had to dig a pit, copper colored metal underneath.  All the markings were right, the size the weight, exact.  But 1996 Pandas rarely shine like the fields surrounding the temple on 2010,2011 coins.

I'll take some photos for you Badon if you are interested.

G

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 06:13:48 AM »
A few collectors, especially Registry Set participants, aggressively pursue Panda coins in the ultimate grade of PCGS MS70/PR70.

To those people, it might be an endless chase.

Look at population reports, MS/PR70 coins are like 1 or 2 pcs only. Some coins/medals don't even exist in perfect 70, the best grade is like 69 and below.

Even if available for sale, perfect 70 will cost a 5-digit price tag for really rare pandas.

However amazing that alot of low-numismatic-value coins (like American Eagle or the 2014 Smithsonian panda medal) can easily get perfect 70 grade. For those LNV coins, even if they are of 70+ grade, I won't even buy them.

Offline Panda Capture

• New
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2014, 06:44:23 PM »
Per PCGS website they do have a 1987 P - 70.