Author Topic: Slabbing Pet Peeve  (Read 5578 times)

Offline exchange

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Slabbing Pet Peeve
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »
Really Exchange not every topic has to have some post by you about the negatives of slabs in your opinion.  We all know your stance on OMP.  The dead horse has been beaten, and beaten and beaten some more.

lol, getting ready for the Kentucky Derby!
I understand what you are saying, but just as many point out the "many" negatives about OMP, I will (if just) point out negatives of slabbing when the occasion permits.

sincerely,
exchange

Offline exchange

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »
lol, getting ready for the Kentucky Derby!
I understand what you are saying, but just as many point out the "many" negatives about OMP, I will (if just) point out negatives of slabbing when the occasion permits.

sincerely,
exchange

There is to much slabbing cheerleading going on here and a balance is needed, I will be that balance, at least I will try.

exchange

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »
And that's fine.  Both you and the "cheerleaders" for slabbing don't need to voice the opinion in every topic irregardless of it's appropriateness.  This topic was about how to get a coin straight in the slab not whether it should or should not have been in the slab in the first place.  Feel welcome to start your own thread about how bad slabs are or how good OMP is and post in it 10 times a day if you like.

Please don't take this as a personal attack it just gets a bit monotonous.  I would tell the same thing to someone that constantly posted how awesome slabbing is all over the place.

Offline exchange

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 08:17:56 PM »
And that's fine.  Both you and the "cheerleaders" for slabbing don't need to voice the opinion in every topic irregardless of it's appropriateness.  This topic was about how to get a coin straight in the slab not whether it should or should not have been in the slab in the first place.  Feel welcome to start your own thread about how bad slabs are or how good OMP is and post in it 10 times a day if you like.

Please don't take this as a personal attack it just gets a bit monotonous.  I would tell the same thing to someone that constantly posted how awesome slabbing is all over the place.

Actually because of what happened to the coin in the slab, it was absolutely justified to point it out. Maybe pointing out the obvious isn't a good thing, sometimes the truth hurts   :)

I would never take it as a personal attack, all member opinions are fully to be respected regardless how much nonsense we may think they are.

I love this forum!

sincerely,
exchange

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »
The shell of the slab isn't touching the coin. The inner soft part is only touching the reeds. You can re-center coins without damaging them. Yes perhaps this is a negative quality to slabs but as it occurs less than 5% of the time and doesn't damage coins it is more of an annoyance than anything else. With those new style NGC holders and the vast array of coin diameters and thicknesses in the world I am impressed this isn't actually more prevalent than it is. In my opinion the benefits of grading still outweigh the negatives. - SLABBING IS AWESOME all over the place.

PH

Offline exchange

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »
The shell of the slab isn't touching the coin. The inner soft part is only touching the reeds. You can re-center coins without damaging them. Yes perhaps this is a negative quality to slabs but as it occurs less than 5% of the time and doesn't damage coins it is more of an annoyance than anything else. With those new style NGC holders and the vast array of coin diameters and thicknesses in the world I am impressed this isn't actually more prevalent than it is. In my opinion the benefits of grading still outweigh the negatives. - SLABS ARE AWESOME all over the place.

PH

Interesting. Thank you.
Love that last sentence, and you should.

sincerely,
exchange

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »
 :biggrin:
In all seriousness, I am glad the rapping on the table and towel method worked.
Post a pic of the centered coin please if you get a moment.

Offline Nobleone

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 10:48:18 PM »
here is final picture.  Thanks again for the Tip.   :thumbup1:

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 10:54:23 PM »
Tap, Tap, Tap, good job! The ride via mail transport can not be as violent as tap, tap, tap. Coin must be in there very loosely. I have seen both new and and style cores where the coin was very securely held in place. I don't think that tap, tap, tap will work in those cases.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »
Looks fantastic. Glad the easy fix worked.

Offline smbgaiden

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 04:53:48 AM »
I guess if it was centered, the whales would have been biting?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Year-Dragon-Gold-1-oz-NCS-NGC-PF68-UC-China-/290606099761

Relist: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Year-Dragon-Gold-1-oz-NCS-NGC-PF68-UC-China-/290607472099

Apologies, I am OCD and traverse research trees deeply.  :001_unsure:

Offline Nobleone

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 10:32:58 PM »
I am sure not having the coin centered did effect the selling of the coin, but there are other factors including my 30 level feed back.  A lot of the coins I have sold were bought by dealers and they will not leave feedback.

As far as needing a whale, I am going off of the Panda PricePedia with a PF68 going for $4,734 on 6/11/11, so I figure I am in medium fish range on price.  I also have one in 69, but that would take a whale for me to sell.   I'm not in a hurry to sell.  2012 is getting closer and I am confident I can sell on my terms.        

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »
wow that is a totally kick ass Chinese coin !!! When I do start buying other gold Chinese coins other than pandas, this one will be on my radar for sure !!!

What is the mintage?

Offline Nobleone

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »
Chinese Year of the Dragon gold coin   100 Yuan   1oz   99.9%   Proof Mintage   10000

Offline badon

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
The vibration of truck rattling down the road is a lot more violent than the tapping needed to get the coin oriented again. Express mail is via aircraft, which usually don't bounce around nearly as much as a mail truck.

Once the coins are in the hands of their final owner, there's no need to worry about them as much. If you travel with your coins, just pack them in something soft so vibrations get absorbed instead of transmitted to the coin. Gold and platinum coins are very heavy compared to the lightweight plastic of the holder, so when they move around, the coin moves differently, which can cause it to "walk" around in its holder.

As long as the slab and coin are packed in motion-absorbent materials, they're shielded from this effect.

Beautiful coin by the way.