Poll

Generally how do you prefer the state of coins to be stored in your personal collection?

Original Packaging
27 (35.5%)
NGC holders
38 (50%)
PCGS holders
10 (13.2%)
Other
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: NGC vs. PCGS vs. Original Packaging: The Poll  (Read 27454 times)

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Re: NGC vs. PCGS vs. Original Packaging: The Poll
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »
Very good post SANDAC ... great observations and I totally agree 1000 % !!!

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
Nobody probably remembers a post I made about 6 months ago (September & October) regarding increased scrutiny in NGC grading but it has definitely happened as I was told by NGC it would when I called back then questioning some grades.

At that time they wouldn’t even cross over some PCGS 69’s that I submitted.   

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2012, 10:34:42 PM »
In mainland China the trend has changed too. Before there was a sizeable majority of collectors that did not give a damn about slabs, but now even the most reluctant send their coins to be slabbed. PCGS is a favourite for imperial/republic coins. I wish they had better holders...

low

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2012, 10:44:20 PM »
Hi Dragondollar,

Are there any dealer who sells PCGS graded imperial/republic coins in mainland China that will ship coins to oversea buyer?

Offline nubz

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
Thank you all for your very insightful info. I inherited a number of MCC and now I am going to get them sent in to NGC asap for conservation and grading. I prefer PCGS for a lot of coins but I like the fact that Ngc does conservation were I don't see were Pcgs does. For this reason Ngc wins out for me.

Thanks again for your great info.

Offline badon

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »
Nobody probably remembers a post I made about 6 months ago (September & October) regarding increased scrutiny in NGC grading but it has definitely happened as I was told by NGC it would when I called back then questioning some grades.

At that time they wouldn’t even cross over some PCGS 69’s that I submitted.   

I remember it very well, and so many people are talking about it now, I'm sure it was you that started to spread the word. Now it's considered common knowledge that you're just supposed to know, like comeaux.

In mainland China the trend has changed too. Before there was a sizeable majority of collectors that did not give a damn about slabs, but now even the most reluctant send their coins to be slabbed. PCGS is a favourite for imperial/republic coins. I wish they had better holders...

It's amazing how fast things change. LBC has been beating the grading drums loud enough and long enough that it seems even China can't ignore it anymore. Everything worth grading is probably going to get graded eventually.

Thank you all for your very insightful info. I inherited a number of MCC and now I am going to get them sent in to NGC asap for conservation and grading. I prefer PCGS for a lot of coins but I like the fact that Ngc does conservation were I don't see were Pcgs does. For this reason Ngc wins out for me.

Thanks again for your great info.

I'm pleased to see PCGS trying to catch up with NGC. I'm skeptical that they will ever have the humility to do what it takes to rise to an equal level with NGC, but you never know...The only thing that's certain is that it would be good for everyone in this market if they did. I'm rooting for them, but still buying only NGC.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2012, 11:13:59 PM »
*Excellent work SANDAC,
$26.50 for NCS conservation plus NGC grading and slabbing is indeed a good deal.
I have recently started getting a few 1/20 gold pandas graded. In the past it wasn’t economical to grade silver 1oz and 1/20 gold pandas, but the rising price of precious metals and increase in numismatic premiums has made it economically viable to conserve many pandas that were formerly not worth grading.

*comeaux,
I remember that post of yours about NGC becoming suddenly more discriminate...
At the time you wrote it I was very skeptical.
I even questioned the validity of your assertion privately with another forum member….
Now I see that you were indeed correct.
It appears that there have been more Sub-MS68 gold pandas graded by NGC since November than for the entire year previous.
They are indeed discriminating more. No longer do you see blanket 69 grades for Chinese coins that don't deserve them. (This applies to both the big dealers and individuals with small submissions)
We know there was a hiring spree at NGC and diversity plus greater numbers of graders allows for more time and discrimination.

*dragondollar,
Graded Chinese coins are the trend.
Again: Don't fight the trend.

*On a side-note:
Here we are with 69 people having taken this poll and we are one shy of 50% in favor of NGC. I’d be interested to know who the one person was that selected “other” as their preferred storage method and what that method was.

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:09 PM »
Low > Well, it depends on which coin you are looking for. Slabbed coins are not a majority yet: lesser coins are sold raw, while anything MS is getting slabbed.

Badon > Actually one thing I like with the "new PCGS" is that they are becoming better at acknowledging varieties. I have seen holders with the chinese name of the variety of YSK dollars, for example, while NGC sticks to Kann and L&M, which are starting to look quite coarse.

I plan on getting my whole collection slabbed in April at the HK exhibition, it's just too bad that for some reason PCGS is not able to come with a slab that allows to see the edge. Their slabs seriously look like crap compared to NGC.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2012, 11:45:45 PM »
Here is a PCGS edge viewable holder.

low

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:42 AM »
*On a side-note:
Here we are with 69 people having taken this poll and we are one shy of 50% in favor of NGC. I’d be interested to know who the one person was that selected “other” as their preferred storage method and what that method was.

Just saying a couple of possibilities :)

1. One who collect old coins and store them in 2x2 holder or saflip.
2. One who like to cut open the OMP and handle coin with bare hand. I read many chinese collector love to do it this way.

Offline badon

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2012, 12:09:23 AM »
2. One who like to cut open the OMP and handle coin with bare hand. I read many chinese collector love to do it this way.

And the high grade coins become rarer and rarer. It only takes 50 years of those kinds of collectors to totally destroy a coin. The same coin would remain nearly pristine for 2000 years (3000? 4000? 10000?) at the bottom of a garbage dump.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2012, 12:18:14 AM »
At that same time months ago that I mentioned NGC getting stricter on grading, I also mentioned the fact that NGC was also getting stricter on cross-overs as well.

Historically I could buy a graded coin then send it to NGC to remove it from its crappy PCGS holder and easily keep the same grade. Well that also changed about the time NGC toughened up on grading MCC’s as I had sent in a few MS69’s in PCGS holders to get crossed over and listed “69” as a “minimum” grade but this time NGC sent them ALL BACK without crossing any of them over.

Most of these particular MCC PCGS 69’s that were returned where not extremely valuable so I just tossed them in the safe and figured I would hold them for a while. Well two weeks ago I decided to bust them out of their PCGS holders and resubmit them along with a few other NGC coins that had graded 68 without conservation.

Now I’m interested to see what the original PCGS 69’s that I busted out come back graded as now and also what the NGC 68’s come back graded as now that I have conserved them.

I will post the results when I get them. 

Glad I graded 90% of my silver, gold & platinum collection over the last year … viva la 69’s !!!  :w00t:     

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2012, 12:28:18 AM »
PandaOrLunar > Is it possible to order this kind of holders for dollar-sized imperial coins? (they have to go through secure+). For now I only have seen "traditional" holders for secure+ dollars :(

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2012, 12:47:13 AM »
Just as a hypothetical question and not aimed at anyone in particular, but what is the point of a "standard" grading system if the grading standards shift significantly over time? Do slabs need to be time-stamped so we know if they are from an "easy" grade period, or a "tough" one? Does this undercut one of the purposes of grading, so that coins can be traded easily based on grade? I'm concerned that inconsistency will eventually lead to chaos. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2012, 01:10:22 AM »
I think that possibly some coins that could grade 69 right now may be given 68 grades (not all but some) because of tougher standards but honestly the majority of 69’s that I own and have seen being sold are very nice coins and deservedly graded 69 or 70.

I feel the concerns of the collector are for the most part being addressed and that is that they are receiving coins that are validated as “authentic” and are very nice looking coins.

Nothing will be perfect …

What may happen in the future is that collectors will be more apprehensive to acquire high value coins in OMP as it may be more difficult to grade them or even sell them in OMP.

It’s just a thought …