Poll

Generally how do you prefer the state of coins to be stored in your personal collection?

Original Packaging
27 (35.5%)
NGC holders
38 (50%)
PCGS holders
10 (13.2%)
Other
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: NGC vs. PCGS vs. Original Packaging: The Poll  (Read 28964 times)

Offline exchange

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NGC vs. PCGS vs. Original Packaging: The Poll
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »
I decided to ask again about my crossover rejection last week and she adamantly stated that NGC has not changed anything regarding grading as they feel their standard is very high (I agree as well) and that the reason my order was rejected is because it was Chinese coins. She said that NGC is very hesitant now to crossover Chinese coins that have been graded by another service.

yep, translation, to many 69's is bad for business!

exchange

Offline exchange

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »
I thought about the question of OMP vs NGC and my answer in short is: My heart desires the OMP with all the history & "smells" that come with it & My Brain wants the potential of the 69's and 70's !

I agree with your heart.

Opening an OMP is a special moment for us OMPiers. Cracking open the packaging, looking, staring and admiring the double sealed coins, feeling the plastic, and then, magically, that delicious, fragrant scent that can only be smelled when the inside of the OMP has been kept away from the rays of the sun for decades.

exchange
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:10:57 PM by exchange »

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 04:55:02 AM »
"You're confusing product with process. Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they're talking about product. That's not art, that's the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I'm not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands."
Jeff Melvoin, Northern Exposure, Fish Story, 1994
I thought about the question of OMP vs NGC and my answer in short is: My heart desires the OMP with all the history & "smells" that come with it & My Brain wants the potential of the 69's and 70's !

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 05:30:58 AM »
"Opening an OMP is a special moment for us OMPiers. Cracking open the packaging, looking, staring and admiring the double sealed coins, feeling the plastic, and then, magically, that delicious, fragrant scent that can only be smelled when the inside of the OMP has been kept away from the rays of the sun for decades."
exchange, Chinese Coin Forum, , 2011

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 08:32:04 AM »
edited, sorry
"Opening an OMP is a special moment for us OMPiers. Cracking open the packaging, looking, staring and admiring the double sealed coins, feeling the plastic, and then, magically, that delicious, fragrant scent that can only be smelled when the inside of the OMP has been kept away from the rays of the sun for decades."
Chinese Coin Forum, , 2011
exchange, Chinese Coin Forum, , 2011

Offline Bearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »
I just hope when you get a whiff of the "fragrant scent", you don't sneeze on it!

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
My Brain wants the potential of the 69's and 70's !
Following your brain is always the smartest decision. :001_smile:

Offline badon

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »
whaaaattt...I'm sorry to hear than comeaux. Now I see the reason why badon is so PRO NGC.
Thanks badon !!

Any time!

Offline badon

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
You know, I'm not to concerned about the particular grading standard used, so long as the grading service applies it consistently. I have studied NGC grading very closely, and found that their consistency is pretty incredibly impressive. It takes me several hours to thoroughly grade and divide up a few hundred coins according to their quality, but NGC does the same thing within minutes, for a lot less than I would charge you :) In exchange for that speed, NGC sacrifices only a very low error rate.

If modern Chinese coins came in "archival quality" packaging, and they were all produced with consistent quality, I would be less interested in conservation and grading. But, since the packaging is corrosive, and the quality of the coins they release varies wildly, the grading services are needed to independently sort out the good from the bad.

As always, you should buy the coin, not the slab, so it's in your best interest to learn what a 69 is supposed to look like. That's easy to do if you don't try to learn grading, but instead just learn what only one grade (69) is supposed to look like. Then, you can buy graded or original coins, with nearly equal skill.

You can send in your raw coins for grading and earn a profit from the majority of collectors and investors who are not able to distinguish coin grades. Your skill in grading will save you money on submission costs, and you'll be rewarded profitably for helping out everyone else who needs to buy graded coins to ensure they get what they're told they're getting.

Offline exchange

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2011, 08:53:44 PM »

You can send in your raw coins for grading and earn a profit from the majority of collectors and investors who are not able to distinguish coin grades.

The way I see it,

You can send in your raw coins for grading and earn a profit from the majority of American collectors and American investors who are not able to distinguish coin grades as the rest of the world has no real interest in them.

exchange
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:05:37 PM by exchange »

Offline Pandad

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2011, 11:14:49 PM »
I'll take all my coins NCS/NGC MS69 or better please.  Every piece of art needs a great frame.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 12:54:24 AM »
I'll take all my coins NCS/NGC MS69 or better please.  Every piece of art needs a great frame.

Well said. I completely agree.

Offline badon

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 03:41:08 AM »
Every piece of art needs a great frame.

That's a great way to put it.

Coinslinger

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2011, 02:05:45 AM »
This isn't even a contest... I use both grading services and have great relationships with both... BUT, PCGS is without question the better service/holder/grader, however you want to say it.  PCGS coins command more $, plain and simple. They are MUCH more consistent at grading coins of ANY type.

Something to ponder: If the rumors are true, sometime in 2012 PCGS is going to pull that big right arm out from behind it's back and introduce their own CONSERVATION service(they already offer spot removing), when and if that happens, then it's game over.

Offline badon

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2011, 02:23:48 AM »
That will be an exciting development. NGC is pretty good, but having PCGS give them a serious run for their money will just make the whole marketplace better overall. I would like to see ANACS improve into a world-class grading service also.