Poll

Generally how do you prefer the state of coins to be stored in your personal collection?

Original Packaging
27 (35.5%)
NGC holders
38 (50%)
PCGS holders
10 (13.2%)
Other
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: NGC vs. PCGS vs. Original Packaging: The Poll  (Read 24191 times)

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: NGC vs. PCGS vs. Original Packaging: The Poll
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
I believe sometime this month, PCGS stopped accepting NGC cross-overs for chinese coins. NGC just might be reciprocating.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
what does that say for the previously graded coins.
sincerely,
exchange
I honestly think it doesn't change anything ... I'm not a professional grader but think the grading process is already too stringent. I agree with many others here who have said there is very little difference between a 69 and 70 which I believe is many times just the grader. i can say that the 69's I own, I have inspected them very closely before and after I have them graded and for the most part they are flawless and deserving of a 69 or higher.

I guess the price of 69's and 70's just went up !!!

Yes exchange OMP vs Grading has been passionately debated several times here and I have always been of the opinion that there are many examples of coins that should always remain in OMP but at the same time I adamantly support NGC grading for all of the reasons previously mentioned here on the forum.

I guess it all comes down to "whatever floats your boat"

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
NGC just might be reciprocating.
That is more likely the case than not

Offline exchange

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »
Interesting when graded coins don't turn out as expected.

exchange

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 07:17:13 PM »
exchange
Yes you are right it is but then again I'm not a grader (except in my own mind :biggrin:) but yea thats why I do keep some of my coins in OMP, I like to have them in both graded and OMP.

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 07:29:18 PM »
Yes you are right it is but then again I'm not a grader (except in my own mind :biggrin:) but yea thats why I do keep some of my coins in OMP, I like to have them in both graded and OMP.
I totally agree. Keep a balance, especially with Proof sets.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
you know what to do, even i'm not suggesting you do it on your own :p.
wow I tried that on my coin and now the coin is gone, what does that mean? hmmmmm  :confused1:

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
It could be also interesting when Chinese collectors will come to pick back up some of their Cultural significant coins with a US corporate sticker on it...for my part I keep my own balance intact.

exchange

Offline pandayo

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »
it means the coin is melt. wow sorry to hear that comeaux  :ohmy:

Offline pandayo

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 12:31:56 AM »
I got a coin in OMP, there's chip on the plastic (1mm). Should I worry about that? Will it cause my coin to have redspot in the future? I don't plan to grade this coin.
what to do? suggestion?

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2011, 04:31:55 AM »
A memorable quote from a Newbie (Chinese?) here: "Accept and enjoy them as they are" and I would add: even with some authentic red spot or snowball on it! Just store them the right way. Keep your money in your pocket, stay away from this corporate (and their links) "grading bubble". If eventually you sell, the buyer will pay and take the risk for what he wants/likes, not you. IMO.
I got a coin in OMP, there's chip on the plastic (1mm). Should I worry about that? Will it cause my coin to have redspot in the future? I don't plan to grade this coin.
what to do? suggestion?

Offline pandayo

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »
A memorable quote from a Newbie (Chinese?) here: "Accept and enjoy them as they are" and I would add: even with some authentic red spot or snowball on it! Just store them the right way. Keep your money in your pocket, stay away from this corporate (and their links) "grading bubble". If eventually you sell, the buyer will pay and take the risk for what he wants/likes, not you. IMO.

what's snowball? big red spot ?

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »
A round white spot on silver coins.
what's snowball? big red spot ?

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 03:03:48 PM »
I was checking my open orders on NGC online and noticed that one order has “finalized/imaged/shipped”. When I noticed this order had shipped, I also checked the order status and noticed all of the PCGS MS69 coins that I submitted for crossover to NGC holders were rejected and sent back in their original PCGS holders. Since these were all MS69 submissions, I selected MS69 as the minimum grade that I would accept as crossover to NGC.

I just now called NGC and spoke to their customer service about this order and she said the reasoning is that from this point further, NGC will be using stricter guidelines when grading coins.
It kind of sucks because I just submitted (expedited) some gold fractionals last week to complete some sets and I inspected them very closely before submitting, I thought they would all (or most) would be 69’s at the very least. To my disappointment they all came back as 68’s  :(

I just thought this may be of some interest to the forum.   

More to add to this story ...

I guess it all depends on who you talk to at NGC and what answer you get …

Ok so the other day when I called NGC about the PCGS MS69 Panda’s that I submitted for crossover, I was told the reason they were not crossed over to NGC at 69 and returned to me because NGC has more stringent guidelines.

Today I call NGC about some other orders I have pending and spoke to Becky in customer service. I am very familiar with Becky as I have talked to her numerous times and she is very knowledgeable and helpful. I decided to ask again about my crossover rejection last week and she adamantly stated that NGC has not changed anything regarding grading as they feel their standard is very high (I agree as well) and that the reason my order was rejected is because it was Chinese coins. She said that NGC is very hesitant now to crossover Chinese coins that have been graded by another service.

I have reason to believe this explanation as Becky at NGC has been there very long, always helpful and seems knowledge every time I have spoken to her. 

Online r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 03:10:12 PM »
I thought about the question of OMP vs NGC and my answer in short is: My heart desires the OMP with all the history & "smells" that come with it & My Brain wants the potential of the 69's and 70's !