Poll

Generally how do you prefer the state of coins to be stored in your personal collection?

Original Packaging
27 (35.5%)
NGC holders
38 (50%)
PCGS holders
10 (13.2%)
Other
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: NGC vs. PCGS vs. Original Packaging: The Poll  (Read 29003 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NGC vs. PCGS vs. Original Packaging: The Poll
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 12:42:25 AM »
The only complaint I've got about NGC grading is that they often miss hairline scratches. Rumor has it that PCGS is diligent in marking them down. I haven't checked enough PCGS coins to know that for sure. One thing have checked enough to know for sure is that 69 graded NGC coins that have been through NCS can look a lot better than a PCGS graded 69, in both silver and gold, whether there's hairline scratches or not.

tamo42

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 05:55:07 AM »
PCGS is receiving less physical votes but the ones they do cast carry a 20% premium so it is actually pretty close.

I don't think this is true any more.

Offline exchange

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 07:23:59 AM »
The only complaint I've got about NGC grading is that they often miss hairline scratches. Rumor has it that PCGS is diligent in marking them down. I haven't checked enough PCGS coins to know that for sure. One thing have checked enough to know for sure is that 69 graded NGC coins that have been through NCS can look a lot better than a PCGS graded 69, in both silver and gold, whether there's hairline scratches or not.

and i'm sure there will soon be a new techonological advancement  at NCS that will make the any coin a grade 70.

exchange

Offline exchange

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 07:25:43 AM »
and i'm sure there will soon be a new techonological advancement  at NCS that will make the any coin a grade 70.

exchange

wait they cannot do that, thats bad for business. We just cant have to many grade 70 coins around!

exchange

Offline badon

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
I just received some NGC 70 coins. They were clearly the best specimens out of all the coins I submitted. None of the other coins were good enough to warrant a 70 grade in my opinion, and nothing could ever possibly force them to warrant a 70 grade.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 11:08:54 AM »
 :thumbup1:

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »
Original package as double sealed with COAs  and boxes is my favorite, but if missing any of them, I would send to NCS and NGC as many as possible (4 shipments of my Chinese modern and Republic coins  have been sent to NCS/NGC during the past 6 months).

However, I am still not sure whether or not I should send high value Chinese silver and gold modern coins, i.e. 5 oz, 12 Oz lunar coins and key gold coins which are not in double sealed condition that having their current value of exceeding the benchmarks of USD 3,000 to NCS for conservation before grading.   

Happycoins 

Offline badon

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »
Nick Brown does it all the time, and he's become far wealthier now because of it.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
^

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »
I was checking my open orders on NGC online and noticed that one order has “finalized/imaged/shipped”. When I noticed this order had shipped, I also checked the order status and noticed all of the PCGS MS69 coins that I submitted for crossover to NGC holders were rejected and sent back in their original PCGS holders. Since these were all MS69 submissions, I selected MS69 as the minimum grade that I would accept as crossover to NGC.

I just now called NGC and spoke to their customer service about this order and she said the reasoning is that from this point further, NGC will be using stricter guidelines when grading coins.
It kind of sucks because I just submitted (expedited) some gold fractionals last week to complete some sets and I inspected them very closely before submitting, I thought they would all (or most) would be 69’s at the very least. To my disappointment they all came back as 68’s  :(

I just thought this may be of some interest to the forum.   

Offline pandayo

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
whaaaattt...I'm sorry to hear than comeaux. Now I see the reason why badon is so PRO NGC.
Thanks badon !!

is little scratch can make it as 68? but comeaux, i told you story from xuhong, didn't i? if that happens to be the case, you know what to do, even i'm not suggesting you do it on your own :p.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »
"I just now called NGC and spoke to their customer service about this order and she said the reasoning is that from this point further, NGC will be using stricter guidelines when grading coins."  

Interesting story. Do you have an exact time and date to the second for this conversation so we can mark it on our numismatic calendars as the definitive turning point in NGC grading standards?

Sorry your coins came back with less than stellar grades.
You aren't the only one. My order of five came back with 2x MS67 coins.

PH

Offline exchange

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 02:31:51 PM »
I was checking my open orders on NGC online and noticed that one order has “finalized/imaged/shipped”. When I noticed this order had shipped, I also checked the order status and noticed all of the PCGS MS69 coins that I submitted for crossover to NGC holders were rejected and sent back in their original PCGS holders. Since these were all MS69 submissions, I selected MS69 as the minimum grade that I would accept as crossover to NGC.

I just now called NGC and spoke to their customer service about this order and she said the reasoning is that from this point further, NGC will be using stricter guidelines when grading coins.
It kind of sucks because I just submitted (expedited) some gold fractionals last week to complete some sets and I inspected them very closely before submitting, I thought they would all (or most) would be 69’s at the very least. To my disappointment they all came back as 68’s  :(

I just thought this may be of some interest to the forum.   

You all know where I stand when it comes to grading so i'll stop there. Thinking like a business, if to many coins grade with a 69, those 69's will devalue in price just like what the FED is doing to the dollar.

Is it maybe possible that NGC needed to lower the number of 69's entering the market because of large amounts of new coins waiting to be graded? Using the stricter guidelines cliche is a very good political way of saying it.

I would find it alarming if all of a sudden their guidelines have changed, what does that say for the previously graded coins.

sincerely,
exchange

Offline exchange

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »
You all know where I stand when it comes to grading so i'll stop there. Thinking like a business, if to many coins grade with a 69, those 69's will devalue in price just like what the FED is doing to the dollar.

Is it maybe possible that NGC needed to lower the number of 69's entering the market because of large amounts of new coins waiting to be graded? Using the stricter guidelines cliche is a very good political way of saying it.

I would find it alarming if all of a sudden their guidelines have changed, what does that say for the previously graded coins.

sincerely,
exchange

Also thats no way to attract more collectors if your guidelines are consistently changing, in fact the opposite will happen.

exchange

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 02:34:27 PM »
PH … Well not a definitive time/date but considering my recent submissions which has been many spread out over the last 6 weeks, the grading changes seems to indicate this “change” probably occurred on or September 2nd

Pandayo I’m not sure Xu Hong’s method would be applicable to these cross-overs I submitted as they were still encapsulated in their holders and those that are not in holders I’m not sure I would risk it … maybe my next trip to China I can see how he does it !

Thanks !  :001_smile: