Author Topic: Genghis Khan medal?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline buynicething

• Trade Count: (0)
Genghis Khan medal?
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-1oz-Genghis-Khansilver-medal-/250859880966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a686a0206

Does anyone know if this is an official medal?
Also does anyone know where a list can be obtained of medals that ngc will grade?

Offline badon

Re: Genghis Khan medal?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:22:02 PM »
The list is basically their population reports. They don't approve a coin for grading until at about the same time that it comes time to grade them. NGC is in contact with experts all over the world, and so getting new types approved usually require NGC's experts to ask them to do it. Many of the "experts" are collectors.

Offline buynicething

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:28:31 PM »
What category are the 1 oz silver medals be under? s1oz?

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
I love this medal. Interested in seeing the COA?

Offline buynicething

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »
Here it is

Offline buynicething

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »
It seems much stiffer and more cardboard like than other coas

This came from Xu

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
Thanks. Yeah I have the medal and the COA too. I think this medal has great potential. They are selling for $219 now. $219 for a 5000 mintage! Not bad,right. It goes well with the Kublai Khan coin :)

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-1oz-Genghis-Khansilver-medal-/250859880966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a686a0206

Does anyone know if this is an official medal?
Also does anyone know where a list can be obtained of medals that ngc will grade?

You can send an email to these two people from NGC. They are two of the people who grade medals at NGC and they can tell you whether a medal will be graded by NGC or not.

Jay Turner - jturner@ngccoin.com
Nikki Robinson - nrobinson@ngccoin.com

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
Hmmm interesting, within 24 hours of this post, all 3 on that ebay listing got SOLD :)

Offline buynicething

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:35:01 PM »
Lol

I knew when I posted on here about it that if, as i suspected, it was a good deal they would all be gone shortly.
Good thing I purchased before posting.  Sometimes you gotta just buy before you are sure, or it will be gone.
Now if i could just figure out what I got myself into when i bought these.
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=3658.0

Offline buynicething

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
mrslick32,

I tried they with mails with no success.
My email account says cannot be delivered, strange.

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
That is really odd. Both of them reached out to me using their respective email addresses that I gave to you. I got Nikki's email address by clicking "contact us" on the last paragraph on the link below from NGC's website.

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/tokensmedals.asp

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 09:23:06 PM »
Lol

I knew when I posted on here about it that if, as i suspected, it was a good deal they would all be gone shortly.
Good thing I purchased before posting.  Sometimes you gotta just buy before you are sure, or it will be gone.
Now if i could just figure out what I got myself into when i bought these.
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=3658.0

I am not surprised. Your example is a good example of the power of advertising a great product. Please allow me to share a recent example from my personal experience. I just bought some coins from the Tiffany Series issued by the Republic of Palau and the Amber Chamber coin also from Palau. If you look at their mintages, you won't be surprised if a modern Chinese coin with the same mintage will sell for 10 to 20 times more. However, I am aware that Palau is a tiny nation that most people are not aware of so relatively fewer people will know about their coins. When I received the coins, I was amazed with the depth of the strikes and the beauty and great detail of the artwork (including the 50mm diameter)!

This made me think that the big difference is that China is a big and increasingly powerful nation with a huge population. Thus, there is a lot of attention on Chinese coins. Don't get me wrong, Chinese coins will not sell well if they are not attractive. This is the reason why not all Chinese coins have appreciated in value at the same rate even if their mintages are the same. For example, you may compare the price difference between the 1990 and 1991 proof silver panda coins. They both have a mintage of 20,000 but their prices are different. Some people may say that this is a function of their relative "scarcity" in the market. I agree, but since they are both limited edition proof coins, I doubt if more than a handful of them got melted. My guess is that more people find the design of the 1991 proof silver panda more attractive and thus more people are holding on to them, making them more scarce on the marketplace.

The lesson for me here is that marketing a great product will help bring it to the top of the minds of people. In my previous example, China as a country markets itself due to its increasing prominence interntionally bringing more attention to its coins. This is important because most people have a limited amount of money to spend on so many beautiful coins. I can go on for a long time if I try to mention all the modern Chinese coins that I would like to own someday. Since I cannot afford to buy all of them, I will most probably buy a coin that I like if I recently saw it and it is readily available rather than something on my list that is not available and thus not at the top of my mind (all things being equal).