Author Topic: Bimetal and Gilded/Plated Silver Pandas  (Read 18274 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bimetal and Gilded/Plated silver Pandas
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »
You should be like your mother and at least leave a few sets for your kids and grand kids. For all we know if things get any worse the price you are selling now maybe a bargain in the future. Just my opinion, if you have 10 sets I will slowly sell 7 MAX or less depending how much I need the cash.

I agree. Your mother was wise to buy these for you, and you would be wise to keep them. The wealthiest people in the world are the heirs that don't cash out what their ancestors prepared for them.

I read a story recently about how the finest surviving medieval longbow was one that was hung for display in a family home, and kept there for 800 years. It's worth a fortune now, along with all the other things they've accumulated for the last millenium. Are they selling? Nope, they're adding to the collection to build the family wealth even further for the next generation of heirs.

Offline Scooter74

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 02:36:56 AM »
Since my original post here and post on the sales page the market has gotten a bit soft.  Since we waited to ride out the market a while longer it appears that the original thoughts of prices north of 4k are not reasonable in the near term.  We have relisted the coins with an asking price of 3600.oo so if there are interested members please let me know.  Willing to discuss terms/other offers.  While we are not under the gun to sell I would like to realize a little cash flow in the near term.

Thanks folks for your encouragement.

Offline badon

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Did you make an updated posting to the buy, sell, & trade forum with your new price?

Offline Scooter74

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
Yes 3-4 days ago 4 sets @ $3600.00 per set.

Offline badon

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 02:29:05 AM »
I found it. For anyone looking for them, here they are:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4534.0

Offline pandamania

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »
All of the Expo coins are designated as being in BU condition except one.

The 1999 Beijing Expo coin is graded in mint state by PCGS and in proof by NGC. In Peter`s book the coin is shown as a BU. If someone who knows Chinese has the Cheng an Mr Ge books how are they listed there?

Is the 1999 Beijing Expo an exception or is NGC incorrect in its designation?

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
NGC does call the 99 Beijing Expo coin a proof in the population/point assignment section but I own several NGC graded 99s.They are all MS designated. These coins were obtained raw over a few years and graded as I got them. I have kind of given up on trying to figure out why NGC does stuff like this.I hadn't even realised it until you pointed it out.

Russ 736

Offline badon

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
NGC changed the designation to "proof" after they visited China and had a discussion with mint officials, so I'm told. The change occurred after I knew they had returned from a visit to China, so I believe that is the correct explanation.

Chinese government decrees don't always make sense from the outside, so I'm not sure why the designation was unclear at first, and then changed to specifically "proof" while some of the other coins are designated differently.

From what I've seen in their manufacturing quality for the 1999's, they were very poorly produced, and would not be considered proofs in any other minting facility anywhere in the world that I know of. Only a bit more than half of them get a 69 grade, and I've seen a lot that are much lower. They're often quite damaged, probably from the handling done in the gold plating process, if the plating was done AFTER striking, which I'm not sure of, but I think is likely.

Offline silverbear

Offline silverbear

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: Bimetal and Gilded/Plated Silver Pandas
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
Regarding the 1991 1/4+1/8 i believe the planned mintage is 10,000 but actual mintage is 2000.

What i dont understand is the 1996 1/10+1/28 with mintage 2500, on par with most others at 2500 or 2000 is seen so much more frequent? Could the actual mintage be more than 2500?

And why is the 1992 1/10+ 1/28 so rarely seen?

Anyone can shed some light on this?

Offline Jesse Livermore

• New
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »
As far as I can remember the 1996 1/10 has also been sold separately (beside the 3 coin set). In short, total planned mintage 8000.

Unfortunately I don´t have access to the related COA

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2016, 06:06:20 AM »
In short, total planned mintage 8000.

May i know where is it stated planned mintage at 8k? its stated 2500 whenever i see. if its true, it could be a possible explanation for its usual visibility compared to others.

Another question id like to ask, is it possible  to melt bimetallic coins? If yes how likely?