Author Topic: Bimetal and Gilded/Plated Silver Pandas  (Read 18797 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Bimetal and Gilded/Plated silver Pandas
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »
Anyone know what happened to the 1997 Gold Panda Bimetal coins?

1997-1998 are among the most interesting years in modern Chinese coins because of the cross-currents in the market due to the return of Hong Kong. There was wild speculation followed by a crash in both coins and stamps surrounding the event.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.co

Offline Scooter74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »
So what are the current going prices seen for the 1991 Bi-Metal sets (Coin/Medal) 1/4 oz  Gold, 1/8 oz Silver.  We have 6 sets we inherited from our wise Mom and have been giving some thought to selling these.  Ours are still in the original carboard outer box over the wooden presentation case and each coin/medal is then in a sealed clear plastic proof case.   I did get one offer of $1,000.oo per set which I believe to be ludicrous .   Any suggestions?

Offline BChung

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 05:26:18 AM »
USD 5000 at "minimum".... IMO, since you got everything in their original state. I wouldn't consider any thing less.

Offline BChung

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 05:28:10 AM »
And you do have a very very intelligent mother......

Offline Scooter74

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 05:34:19 AM »
Yes, as the days go by she seems to be growing in her wisdom despite her passing 6 years ago.  She drove her investment counseler crazy with her purchases of these coins as well as American Eagle sets but we are quite amazed by her savvy purchases.   Looking for the gold to quadruple before the end of the year if the current trend continues. (Compared to prices at the time of her passing)

Offline BChung

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 07:11:16 AM »
It would be great if you upload some pics too.

Offline Scooter74

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »
Will Attempt to upload more detailed photos of a set

Offline Scooter74

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 11:30:19 AM »
Waiting for confirmation from my Brother-in-law to sell these 1991 Bi-metal Panda sets.  (Hopefully in next 24 hrs.)

Anyone with guidance on fair and safe steps for selling on here? 

From what I have seen, since I don't care to use paypal, I need to go wire transfer or cashiers check.
Shipping normally to occur after receipt and accepted deposit of funds?

Want to be fair.

I will also offer photos (to those interested) of each set front and back along with COA image as well.

Help on this would be appreciatedn. :001_unsure:

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »
I bought both coins in 69 at the HK Champion auction for $5200. No box or COA. The 3/8 coin is very rare, only 8 coins graded by NGC. The 1/4 has 14 coins traded. I dont know why there is such a disparity, but it seems the 3/8 should be worth more, evn though both auctions were the same price.

http://www.cghka.com/english/pwm1_2_1.asp?id=53309&type=wlyz&pos=1523
http://www.cghka.com/english/pwm1_2_1.asp?type=wlyz&pos=1524

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »
The 3/8 coin is very rare, only 8 coins graded by NGC. The 1/4 has 14 coins traded. I dont know why there is such a disparity, but it seems the 3/8 should be worth more, evn though both auctions were the same price.

The 1991's were released (as I recall) as either a two-piece set of both coin + medal, or a one-piece set of just the coin. The only way to acquire the medal was to buy the set. That is why there are fewer medals than coins. However, being a medal, there is less interest in them now so they sell for about the same as the coin despite being rarer.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline Scooter74

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 11:45:01 PM »
Looks like it's time to post a For Sale sign on the "Sell or Buy" thread.   And after rechecking I realized we have 10 sets of the 1991 series 25Y Bi-metal Coin/Medal in cardboard, Wood Presentation case and all in the original soft plastic sleeves and of course the COA as well.

Underbidder

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 11:54:53 PM »
Be cautious not to flood the market with all of them at once, that will result in lower prices realized.
If you can take the time to patiently sell them individuallly over the course of months, you'll have a better chance of keeping the price high.

Offline BChung

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »
You should be like your mother and at least leave a few sets for your kids and grand kids. For all we know if things get any worse the price you are selling now maybe a bargain in the future. Just my opinion, if you have 10 sets I will slowly sell 7 MAX or less depending how much I need the cash.

Offline Scooter74

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »
Thanks for the words of wisdom.  Unfortunately the offering is now out listing all 10 sets and the edit option is locked out already. (no way around this I assume?)

We are not in a hurry to sell - it's just that the Nuismatic interest is just not there for us at this time.   If we don't get offers that meet our expectations, we'll just wait.  I did already get a firm offer from a coin buying company of $4,000.00 per set so I have that as a fallback should we need it.  At present we don't have to sell and the 'children' have no interest in the collection.

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
You could also send them in to NCS/NGC and possibly get some 69 and hopefully a 70 out of it which will bring in more $$$$.  Just a thought and good luck on your sale, cheers =).