Author Topic: Possible WSOD explanation?  (Read 18933 times)

Offline ninteno

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Possible WSOD explanation?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
@silverpv what exactly is the meaning of "it worked on gold with no issues" - removing red spots?
i did try pure aceton on silver maples, no effect even after 2 weeks full bath.
coin is still there, milkspot too

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »
@silverpv what exactly is the meaning of "it worked on gold with no issues" - removing red spots?
i did try pure aceton on silver maples, no effect even after 2 weeks full bath.
coin is still there, milkspot too

It cleaned the gold a bit and brightened it up i didn't rub it or anything, just let it sit a 1926 $10 Indian.  I tried to do clean the panda privy before milkspots formed on the 2016, the idea was to soak it and try to remove the impurity before sending it off to grade but when I dunked it this white residue popped out out of nowhere on the coin and won't come off. So I had to scrap the idea of sending them in for grading. Two that weren't treated came back nicely, I was hoping to prevent milkspots and grade!

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2016, 04:18:22 PM »
Lesson learned?

Canada sucks!  N50

:biggrin:

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2016, 04:59:59 PM »
not analytical grade, cvs grade.. lol.. 100% pure acetone nail polish remover. I did 1,3,1 and wasn't successful at any of the tries. I kept getting this strange residue that kept appearing.

I am not saying that acetone is the candidate but if it is used it has to be the "analytic" grade or whatever USP grade that is free from impurities because this can cause extraneous effects. Even the water for rinsing will have to be of a certain standard of purity for example triple distilled reverse osmosis water or whatever the chemistry books say to use.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2016, 05:07:27 PM »
I am not saying that acetone is the candidate but if it is used it has to be the "analytic" grade or whatever USP grade that is free from impurities because this can cause extraneous effects. Even the water for rinsing will have to be of a certain standard of purity for example triple distilled reverse osmosis water or whatever the chemistry books say to use.

Well, my understanding was pure acetone is 100% and has no additives. The water I used was distilled, not triple distilled but triple distilled reverse osmosis. lol. Either way, it cost me a few bucks to try to circumvent Royal Canadian Mints Security Feature and it didn't work.

I'm willing to experiment one more time and sacrifice a few more panda privies, this time with blitz and distilled water. I used it on E=mc2 and Britannias and they don't look like they are spotting after half a year. I have a tube of libertads where a few of them are spotting now. 2015's that I purchased around the same time but I cleaned the e=mc2'd.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »
Well, my understanding was pure acetone is 100% and has no additives. The water I used was distilled, not triple distilled but triple distilled reverse osmosis. lol. Either way, it cost me a few bucks to try to circumvent Royal Canadian Mints Security Feature and it didn't work.

I'm willing to experiment one more time and sacrifice a few more panda privies, this time with blitz and distilled water. I used it on E=mc2 and Britannias and they don't look like they are spotting after half a year. I have a tube of libertads where a few of them are spotting now. 2015's that I purchased around the same time but I cleaned the e=mc2'd.

Yes, I was surprised to learn in advanced Chemistry that single distilled water was not pure enough for certain experiments and cell culture work.

However, regular supermarket ingredients will be most convenient. Perhaps it is the failure to identify the right reagent for the proposed work that is causing the problem and not necessarily the grade. But the important thing is that if your voodoo works please share.

Moonshine might be the preferred reagent in upcountry!  :thumbup:

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »
or you can just do this?  N27

I am always filled with joy when I see this. Means the pool of MS70 contenders is shrinking fast!  N17

Anyone wants more crayola? It's free!  N16

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2016, 06:03:17 PM »

I do not believe that nail polish remover is 100% acetone. The acetone will dry and damage the fingernail. It is my understanding that at least 20% water and other solvents are added to the fingernail remover for the purpose of retaining the moisture in the fingernails and surrounding skin.

Usually, hardware stores carry pure acetone as oil paint thinner.

Do not use any type of water to rinse the coin after dipping in the acetone. Pure acetone will evaporated quickly without leave any residue. The only purpose of dipping into acetone is to remove the moisture and any oily material which may adhere to the coin surface during the minting, inspection and packaging. Additional contact of water will only cause the formation of white spots. Of course, you can always rinse coin with “fresh acetone” again after dipping.  The dry, clear and dark environment will retard the formation of white spots. Acetone itself will not react with silver, but the impurities will.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2016, 06:08:33 PM »
I do not believe that nail polish remover is 100% acetone. The acetone will dry and damage the fingernail. It is my understanding that at least 20% water and other solvents are added to the fingernail remover for the purpose of retaining the moisture in the fingernails and surrounding skin.

Usually, hardware stores carry pure acetone as oil paint thinner.

Do not use any type of water to rinse the coin after dipping in the acetone. Pure acetone will evaporated quickly without leave any residue. The only purpose of dipping into acetone is to remove the moisture and any oily material which may adhere to the coin surface during the minting, inspection and packaging. Additional contact of water will only cause the formation of white spots. Of course, you can always rinse coin with “fresh acetone” again after dipping.  The dry, clear and dark environment will retard the formation of white spots. Acetone itself will not react with silver, but the impurities will.

There are two types of nail polish remover, one has the stuff you mention, the other is 'pure' acetone. They talked about it in other forums. It does evaported very quickly and dried. The first time I did not rinse with water. Then I tried it with distilled water. I tried several permutations but the white spot presented while submerged in acetone and wouldn't come off.

Offline Gadermayr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
What will happen with the mirroed spaces on the coin?