Author Topic: Possible WSOD explanation?  (Read 18911 times)

Offline BubbaJones

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Possible WSOD explanation?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 10:40:17 PM »
I think if it did the trick word would have spread since this article came out?  

I'm skeptical.  And if it works, does it damage the coin.  

Has anyone tried it?  Maybe keep on trying should try it on those abysmal pandas he showed us pictures of.  

I have to admit, it has motivated me to not buy silver any longer, and just go with gold.  

I know gold has its own issues, but there is something grotesque about white spots/stains on a beautiful silver coin.  #sadface.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2016, 11:07:49 PM »
I think if it did the trick word would have spread since this article came out? 

I'm skeptical.  And if it works, does it damage the coin. 

Has anyone tried it?  Maybe keep on trying should try it on those abysmal pandas he showed us pictures of. 

I have to admit, it has motivated me to not buy silver any longer, and just go with gold. 

I know gold has its own issues, but there is something grotesque about white spots/stains on a beautiful silver coin.  #sadface.

I agree to some extent that acetone may not be a magic cure but it has been used for amateur coin conservation especially after an olive oil bath. I suspect that the cure for white spots could be incremental. Until something else is suggested acetone will have to be one of the candidate reagents.

Yes, my purchase of non-gold coins and medals has almost screeched to a halt. It doesn't make sense that you will spend tons on silver coins only to see the value vaporize due to white spots!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2016, 11:15:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing! But I wonder whether acetone will do the trick.

Yes, acetone will not do the job. The milk spot is a mixture of inorganic compounds and not soluble in acetone.

As collector, I am interested in the following part of the article:

“Perhaps 50 or 100 years from now, American Silver Eagles from the 1980s and ‘90s that somehow remained flawlessly untouched by milk spots may be as scarce and desirable as Full Head Standing Liberty quarters or Full Bell Line Franklin halves.”

“Indeed, the day may come when numismatists willingly pony up hundreds of dollars for choice, spotless specimens of an otherwise common American Silver Eagle. Surely, heated debates will ensue in numismatic circles about deciphering “doctored” versus “original” American Silver Eagles, much like some Lincoln cent enthusiasts scrutinize decades-old “red” Lincolns for any sign of past dipping.”

Few years back, I posted in this forum, questioning the logical of about NCS conservation to prevent the formation of white spots on the fresh-made and spotless silver pandas. Perhaps, 10 or 20 years from now, the “original” and spotless silver panda will have a valuation much higher than NCS conserved coin. Time will tell.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2016, 12:08:16 AM »
Yes, acetone will not do the job. The milk spot is a mixture of inorganic compounds and not soluble in acetone.

“Perhaps 50 or 100 years from now, American Silver Eagles from the 1980s and ‘90s that somehow remained flawlessly untouched by milk spots may be as scarce and desirable as Full Head Standing Liberty quarters or Full Bell Line Franklin halves.”

“Indeed, the day may come when numismatists willingly pony up hundreds of dollars for choice, spotless specimens of an otherwise common American Silver Eagle. Surely, heated debates will ensue in numismatic circles about deciphering “doctored” versus “original” American Silver Eagles, much like some Lincoln cent enthusiasts scrutinize decades-old “red” Lincolns for any sign of past dipping.”

Few years back, I posted in this forum, questioning the logical of about NCS conservation to prevent the formation of white spots on the fresh-made and spotless silver pandas. Perhaps, 10 or 20 years from now, the “original” and spotless silver panda will have a valuation much higher than NCS conserved coin. Time will tell.

Respectfully then Poconopenn, what should a silver coin collector do now to ensure that he/she buys/stores silver coins that will not develop white spots in future or decrease the propensity for white spot formation?

Thanks for the wisdom and insight.

With best wishes.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2016, 08:14:26 AM »
I seem to recall reading on another forum about a snake oil treatment they had developed and would offer through a dealer in China but nothing seemed to come of it.
 :001_rolleyes:

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
I seem to recall reading on another forum about a snake oil treatment they had developed and would offer through a dealer in China but nothing seemed to come of it.
 :001_rolleyes:

Yeah. We can reverse engineer that one too!  N17

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2016, 09:14:04 AM »

So the candidate reagent will have to be an aqueous solution of something and not a hydrocarbon. Thoughts of descaling and deliming come to mind but initial examples are likely to be too caustic and will attack the underlying metal. Unless their concentration is reduced by serial dilution to the minimum effective level.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »
I tried acetone on a panda privy maple and fudged it. It actually accelerated the white spot development. Ugh.. Didn't have white spots when I started but had them when I finished, plus it didn't work so well on the proof part.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »
I tried acetone on a panda privy maple and fudged it. It actually accelerated the white spot development. Ugh.. Didn't have white spots when I started but had them when I finished, plus it didn't work so well on the proof part.

Most acetone in the stores are industrial grade which contains water and other impurities. The acetone used for silver coin cleaning has to be reagent (analytical) grade which has a purity of >99.5%. The water in the industrial grade will be left on the coin surface after acetone evaporated and promote the formation of the white spots.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2016, 01:51:50 PM »
Most acetone in the stores are industrial grade which contains water and other impurities. The acetone used for silver coin cleaning has to be reagent (analytical) grade which has a purity of >99.5%. The water in the industrial grade will be left on the coin surface after acetone evaporated and promote the formation of the white spots.

I used 100% pure acetone. It worked on gold with no issues, tried it on the pandas and boom! spots.. I might just do a video on it. I recorded it for posterity, either success but inevitably failure... lol. At least I tried! I also rinsed with distilled water but it was like an immediate reaction while submerged in the acetone. Quite amazing.. The things we do to test  hypothesises! I actually screwed up 5 panda privy's, what can you do. I still have melt and it is at least in a capsule.

It's actually not that bad, but you would notice it under a 5x loupe. It also left this weird residue that wouldn't come off..

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2016, 02:34:42 PM »
I used 100% pure acetone. It worked on gold with no issues, tried it on the pandas and boom! spots.. I might just do a video on it. I recorded it for posterity, either success but inevitably failure... lol. At least I tried! I also rinsed with distilled water but it was like an immediate reaction while submerged in the acetone. Quite amazing.. The things we do to test  hypothesises! I actually screwed up 5 panda privy's, what can you do. I still have melt and it is at least in a capsule.

It's actually not that bad, but you would notice it under a 5x loupe. It also left this weird residue that wouldn't come off..

You did all 5 coins at a time? Best to do one at a time and cut your losses. I haven't done any yet. I am still waiting for more concrete info. I'll do spot tests with a q-tip; treat some spots and leave others untreated followed by the rinse, and compare results. Where did you get the analytical grade acetone (no private info)? Thanks.

Looks like the photos did not load!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2016, 02:46:33 PM »
not analytical grade, cvs grade.. lol.. 100% pure acetone nail polish remover. I did 1,3,1 and wasn't successful at any of the tries. I kept getting this strange residue that kept appearing.

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 03:14:31 PM »
Do you know of something else that will get rid of or reduce the density of the white spots? ( .. )

"get rid of w. s."  
 :001_tongue:

*This official coin has been colored by a private company

http://www.ebay.de/itm/361511824158?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 03:24:21 PM »
w.g. types in riddles, but I think he is trying to promote the idea of colorizing your spotted coins!

Maybe this will help.

Offline BubbaJones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »
or you can just do this?  N27