Author Topic: Dragon year coins.  (Read 11488 times)

Offline Pandana

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dragon year coins.
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »
MORE and MORE DRAGON

Thus far - dragons are coming out of the woodworks ... it appears that every mint has come out with dragon coins ... Laos, Pamps, Australia, China, Canada. Tuvalu, New Zealand, ... to name a few

An over population of dragons ... maybe when someone add up all the numbers of issues:  there will be one per person on the planet.

Numis value??? it's increasingly questionable?  BETTER SIT OUT until all dragon are grounded ... no rush to buy.

Gainesville Dragon:

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
The "Gainesville Dragon" boasts the same design as the New Zealand dragon for 60% cheaper at $1 over spot.
In place of the $2 denomination is the Chinese character for dragon.

Offline Pandana

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 12:29:11 PM »
New Zealand
===============================
Thus far - dragons are coming out of the woodworks ... it appears that every mint has come out with dragon coins ... Laos, Pamps, Australia, China, Canada. Tuvalu, New Zealand, ... to name a few.  An over population of dragons ... maybe when someone add up all the numbers of issues:  there will be one per person on the planet.

Numis value??? it's increasingly questionable?  BETTER SIT OUT until all dragon are grounded ... no rush to buy.
===============================

Offline goldpig

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »
I agree, It is crazy now with all the different countries dragon coins this year, this could not be too big of a surprise though, simply because dragons are cool and look awesome on coins!

After seeing many other countries dragons so far I still love the CMC 88's and the 2000's the most.

They 'fee'l like real Dragon coins, retaining some of the natural 'feel' of the older dragon coins that China as a country has produced in the past 100+ years. :thumbup1: 

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
I like the old Chinese Dragons better too. 

Offline HustliN

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »
Could someone tell me more about this dragon silver coin. Its a one ounce coin from 1954-1994 sealed. I'm not sure if its a cool collectable coin or just a regular private mint round.

Offline badon

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »
You can try posting your question in a new post under the identification help forum, where more people will see it.

Offline HustliN

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »
thanks badon. enjoy reading the LBC's!

Offline Pandana

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »
More dragon ---

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »

Offline Pandana

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
Perhaps, we need to distinguish:

1.  Coins = issued by government authority, with currency denomination
2.  Medals = issued by anybody, including government, private entities: banks, school, companies, - without $ denomination
3.  Bullion = medal like, issued by producer, mints, or commisioned to be issued by sellers: APMEX, Gainville; Royal Australia Mint

Other categories??

Offline badon

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »
I do not distinguish coins and medals. I only distinguish limited mintage vs. non-limited mintage. What makes a coin valuable is not whether it has a fiat face value or not. What makes it valuable is popularity, and only popularity. There are many coins where only one specimen is known, and they can be very inexpensive because they are not popular.

Coins made by a revered major world mint like China's have popularity, and it doesn't matter whether the coin has a fiat value or not.

For bullion, there's fancy bullion, and there's generic. Fancy bullion are things like common American silver eagles and any other bullion that costs a premium price. Plain generic bullion has little or no premium above its bullion value.

The most important thing to remember is that popularity - and thus collector value - can cross all of these categories. That's why I don't put much effort into coming up with a definition to distinguish them. There are specimens of plain bullion out there that are worth far more than you would expect, just because there's something about them that makes them popular. Here's an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasher_Doubloon

Offline exchange

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:59 AM »
Another dragon -- Russia.  I thought Russia is a bear??? am I wrong?

In any case - dragons keep being born daily ... They will be given away for adoption later - no need to spend chunk of premium for this year ...

Lets add France to the list.

http://www.apmex.com/Product/68551/2012_1_oz_Gold_Proof_Year_of_the_Dragon_200_Euro___Lunar_Series.aspx

exchange

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 04:21:02 PM »
Let me present the next to join the club: SOMALIA with its ELEPHANT DRAGON!   :lol:

Still didnt stop me from getting a fan-shaped 1oz proof dragon today as my collegaue came home from HK. It was 5x the spotprice, but I could not resist - a pure non-investment fun coin, and my first "fan" coin (and chinese lunar for that matter) too..

Offline CaRtOondoG

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »
I think 2012 1kg china dragon silver coin is the nicest one i've ever seen.