Author Topic: Dragon year coins.  (Read 13316 times)

Offline goldpig

• Trade Count: (0)
Dragon year coins.
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »
Next year is the year of the dragon. Any thoughts on what will happen to dragon year coins? :001_huh:

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Re: Dragon year coins.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »
Next year is the year of the dragon. Any thoughts on what will happen to dragon year coins? :001_huh:
This may be some insight:
http://majesticrarities.com/pages/blog/broad-base-market-vs-pricing-factors/

Offline Nobleone

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
This will be the first Year of the Dragon since the Chinese modern coins really took off.  I personally, believe that the dragon and tiger have universal appeal.  Provided the economy holds on, I am expecting Dragon coins of all types to make real gains.   I would not be surprised to see 20% to 40% gains in all Dragons, by the end of January 2012. 

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »
At a minimum, yes. I think many of them will do quite a bit better than that.

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
Start saving money because this DEC is when the Chinese Dragons will be for sale according to Peter from PA, cheers. 

Offline buynicething

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »
Would do you guys think?  Buy the old dragons now, sell them later in the year to buy the new ones, or just buy the new ones?

I ask because I think the release price for these will be higher than the price for for the 2011 rabbits, which is high in comparison to the older lunars with much smaller mintages.  Maybe after the initial mania to get the new ones is over the price for the older issues will rise greatly to make up for the mintage difference.  Also don't forget even though everyone wants the new ones people generally agree that the older ones have better designs.  In my opinion the only dragon that these look better than is the 1988 15g silver. 

Offline Pandana

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
Thus far - dragons are coming out of the woodworks ... it appears that every mint has come out with dragon coins ... Laos, Pamps, Australia, China, Canada. Tuvalu, New Zealand, ... to name a few

An over population of dragons ... maybe when someone add up all the numbers of issues:  there will be one per person on the planet.

Numis value??? it's increasingly questionable?  BETTER SIT OUT until all dragon are grounded ... no rush to buy.

Offline badon

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »
I agree with Pandana about the the new issues. The mintages are high enough that they could actually engage in a dropping or flat price trend for several years - I don't think that will happen, but it is realistically possible.

However, the older coins are all too rare to remain flat or downtrending over the long term. Over the long term, their direction is upward, and will probably stay that way for many years, even after their prices have adjusted upward to be more in line with the price of the new issues.

Offline Pandana

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
Totally agree with the big B.

1988 and 2000 dragons - if one to collect/invest.  The upside is excellent.

2012 - upside very limited or none in my humble opinion

Offline Pandana

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »
Even APMEX comes out with their own dragons ... at a bit over spot ... the design is pretty nice ...

http://www.apmex.com/Category/1258/Year_of_the_Dragon_Silver_Bars.aspx#

Offline badon

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »
Nice design, for generic bullion.

Offline exchange

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 03:31:32 PM »
Totally agree with the big B.

1988 and 2000 dragons - if one to collect/invest.  The upside is excellent.

2012 - upside very limited or none in my humble opinion

Very True.
Here's another thread regarding the 2012 dragon:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4533.msg25018#msg25018

exchange

Offline Pandana

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 03:35:46 PM »
B.,
Will this dragon bullion, with very nice design (IMHO) - compromise the numis value of other 2012 dragons?
Which would you buy, pay? 1oz silver:

1 Ausie dragon = 3 APMEX dragon
1 China dragon = 8 APMEX dragon

Beside, the APMEX the bullion dragon might be continuously issued; as long as buyers exists.  If APMEX plans to continously issue yearly the dragon bullions, APMEX may have pre-empted China, for not taking the initiative to come out with a dragon series (like that of Panda, which is a phenonmenon success)

Offline badon

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
Pandana:

No, the dragon bullion will have no effect on numismatics. Back when Australia was the only mint making really nice dragons, people would buy them just because they were the nicest dragons available. Now, with so many choices, people will buy what they're collecting. No one who collects Chinese coins would prefer Apmex bullion over a real Chinese dragon. But, for people who like "premium" bullion at a cheap price, they probably would.

Offline badon

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »
I should add that there are LOTS of other generic bullion dragons out there, so this Apmex bullion is nothing new. What makes one stand out over the other is the status granted to it by its maker. Apmex is just one of countless past and present bullion makers, and there isn't much "brand loyalty" in the generic bullion market. But, for numismatics, "brand loyalty" is huge. Just look at the arguments between PCGS and NGC fans, and you'll see how devoted people can be to whatever it is they collect and hold dear.

Of course, on this forum, most of us agree that we like China's coins :) So, even if we might buy some Apmex dragon bullion, we're probably not going to do that at the expense of our Chinese coin collections.