Author Topic: NCS Conservation  (Read 12614 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NCS Conservation
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »
Badon:

Is there an alternative source to conservation, other than NCS?

Not that I know enough about to recommend. I know some high end dealers are quite capable with it, but they only do it for their own coins, and even then, it's not something they like to talk about. PCGS is able to do conservation, but as far as I know, they don't do it upon request. They just do it in special cases only, much like the dealers.

There's some rumblings around that somebody might decide to give it a try, but I haven't heard of anything serious yet. The biggest problem is that NCS is in the same building as NGC, so they are able to integrate with grading far better than any competitor ever could. So, right now, I think the best hope is to beg PCGS to make the arrangements for a competing conservation service that integrates with PCGS.

Of course, you can always try it yourself, too. Just be sure to practice on cheap junk silver coins first.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
This is the reason I was hoping that members who have experimented with conservation would post their experiences in a new forum catagory entitled "Home Coin Conservation". Let's get the ball rolling and release the stranglehold of NCS.

Offline badon

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »
That's an excellent topic for discussion. Please make a post with that title, and I'll post a few simple ideas.