Author Topic: NCS Conservation  (Read 14012 times)

low

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NCS Conservation
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 01:19:15 AM »
The "altered" part is misconception, but many collectors do believe conservation means coin doctoring.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
Badon, what about the new feature catagory that I wrote about a while back? "Looks like many collectors will be looking into "home remedies" for conserving their coins prior to submitting for grading. This may be a good idea for a new topic or new feature category on this forum. Members will have a venue to discuss and compare different processes, their successes and failures, and recommendations for conserving coins based on their own experiences. Any thoughts on this proposed new forum feature?" I think that we should move on this idea. Let's put NCS out of business!  :thumbup:

Offline badon

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 01:10:37 AM »
That's an excellent idea. We already have a section for it:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?board=31.0

That's the best place to discuss the "home remedies". If someone gets good at it, and is willing to certify their work, I can see much potential profit. If no one bites, I might have to take care of that myself. I've got a plan, I just don't want to make that my next project quite yet.

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »
But with that said,for us amateurs, NCS seems to be the only solution to remove red spots/toning and WSOD prevention (to an extend).
I have quite a few NGC PF69 pandas that have developed toning around the rim, contemplating if they should be sent to NCS...any advise?

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »
But with that said,for us amateurs, NCS seems to be the only solution to remove red spots/toning and WSOD prevention (to an extend).
I have quite a few NGC PF69 pandas that have developed toning around the rim, contemplating if they should be sent to NCS...any advise?

NCS removes toning very effectively. However, white spot/haziness is another story. I have sent silver coins that look OK intially to NCS but come back with patches of "haze" - I'm not sure what exactly they do there at NCS.  :cursing:

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 01:12:20 PM »
Yes ive experienced the patches of haze too... >:(
Actually was thinking if i should leave the coins as is with the natural toning or get them removed.
Would the toning affect the coin value or collector preferences in any kind of way?

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 04:21:48 AM »
NCS removes toning very effectively. However, white spot/haziness is another story. I have sent silver coins that look OK intially to NCS but come back with patches of "haze" - I'm not sure what exactly they do there at NCS.  :cursing:

YES, ditto that! I too have had silver coins come back in worse shape than when they were initially submitted. Spots, haze, water/drying spots are the norm at NCS. They are very inconsistent and lack quality control (just like NGC). And, yes, we are expected to pay bigh bucks for their follies! What a joke. Also, I did not renew my NGC membership.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 10:45:35 AM »
YES, ditto that! I too have had silver coins come back in worse shape than when they were initially submitted. Spots, haze, water/drying spots are the norm at NCS. They are very inconsistent and lack quality control (just like NGC). And, yes, we are expected to pay bigh bucks for their follies! What a joke. Also, I did not renew my NGC membership.

So what's the alternative? Switch to PCGS? Or stop grading altogether?

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 02:14:07 PM »
So what's the alternative? Switch to PCGS? Or stop grading altogether?

I have had good luck with NCS / NGC overall.  I mostly do gold though so it seems to be more consistant than silver.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »
I have had good luck with NCS / NGC overall.  I mostly do gold though so it seems to be more consistant than silver.

I agree. I have sent in only three gold coins to NCS/NGC. They removed the copper spots and the coins came out beautifully. Silver coins, well, that's another story .... besides the haziness I mentioned, some of the frost (at the high point of the coin) was "rubbed" off. :cursing:

Offline panda

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
:thumbup1:  :thumbup1:

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 04:13:45 PM »
:thumbup1:  :thumbup1:

Is that you, panda? - I mean the picture on the wall ....  :laugh:

Offline badon

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 09:21:47 PM »
NCS used to conserve coins with white spots. Most of the time, the white spots were not only neutralized, but also greatly reduced. In a few very rare cases, they were almost completely removed. Now, NCS charges you for the conservation, but does nothing. They claim there's nothing they can do for white spots, so they just hand you your bill and expect you to pay for literally nothing.

I have been hearing more bad news about coins developing white spots at NCS - much more than before, and I have a guess about why. White spots begin to form immediately after exposure to humidity in the air. NCS used to conserve every coin you paid for, and they did it within a short time after removing the seals. So, very few coins had enough time to develop spots before they were conserved to remove the corrosive acid on the coin that causes white spots. Back then, I never saw a single coin conserved by NCS that would later develop white spots. Not even one. NCS was doing exactly what you paid them to do - conservation. "Conservation" means preservation, by the way. It's not "cleaning", which means "making it look better".

Now, if NCS thinks the coin looks good enough that you won't notice if they don't actually do any conservation, then they will skip the coin. That's not conservation, that's cleaning, where they only clean the coins that look dirty. Then, you get the coins back, or a dealer sells an "NCS conserved" coin to you, and then 2 months later you look at it again, and it's suddenly worthless because it's covered in white spots. The corrosive acid was never removed by NCS in a "conservation" process because the coin didn't look like it needed "cleaning".

So, from the moment the coin arrived at NCS, the acid has been gradually reactivating as it absorbs moisture from the air. Within 2 months (give or take), your coin is worthless, all thanks to NCS and their expensive service that is good for nothing but taking your money, and exposing your carefully preserved decades-old coins to atmospheric damage.

I will never recommend anyone to use NCS ever again, unless they improve. I don't trust them, and I don't like the way they do business. If they improve, then maybe I will change my opinion. For now, their secret conservation process is just a cover for no conservation process. You can't complain to them, though. This shady dealing is actually in their official published policy. Kind of like the fraudulent shill bidding that Chinese auction houses do.

If I tell you I'm about to pick your pockets, does that make it OK? I don't do business with people that resort to bureaucratic legalistic nonsense to justify hurting me or people I care about (the members of this forum). That's not just, justice, or justifiable. It's just NOT.

As for NGC, I have very little to complain about with them. They're facing stiff competition from PCGS, and they're doing a great job defending their territory. The best part is that the numismatic market is growing, so there's room for both PCGS and NGC to keep competing with each other, without taking much market share. I almost never hear any complaints about any of the grading services.

The only thing I'd like to see is for ANACS to step into the 21st century and start giving PCGS and NGC some competition. NGC and PCGS are a tough act to follow, though, so I'm not sure whether ANACs has what it takes. Every time I look at the work NGC does, I am thoroughly impressed. I don't own any PCGS coins, so I'm not very familiar with them, but people who are fans of PCGS say very similar things about the high quality of PCGS's work. The fact that PCGS is doing so well against NGC, even when NGC has been established for so much longer, shows to me that PCGS is serious business.

It's probably only a matter of time before PCGS or someone else comes up with a second conservation service. When that happens, I expect NCS will improve and stop giving people reasons to complain about them. Until there's competition, I prefer to avoid NCS. I am extremely disappointed in them, and I feel pretty crappy about recommending them so heartily in previous years. They were much better in those days.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
Badon:

Is there an alternative source to conservation, other than NCS?

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 09:31:04 PM »
Well, I know for a fact that PCGS is much more reactive about Imperial coins variety. They acknowledge far more varieties than NGC, and accurately at that.
This is very important for the Chinese market. I still use NGC however due to their holders, detailed grades and website. PCGS only recently got pictures in their database, which is very important to allow buyers to check what you are selling is the real deal. They even more recently started to print details grade on holders, instead of simply "Genuine". If now PCGS got holders that allow to see the edge of dollar sized coins and improved its website, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.