Author Topic: NCS Conservation  (Read 11701 times)

Offline pandaccumulator

• Trade Count: (+5)
Re: NCS Conservation
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
Ben,

If you care to verify seller's claim of NCS conservation, it's best to contact the seller directly and ask for a NCS invoice - either a digital copy or a hardcopy.  My 2cents   :mellow:
Problem is: NCS invoice only shows the type of coin(s)being conserved, no NGC cer # on it, therefore, it's not the real proof but only your impression that the coin you are buying is the one you see on NCS invoice. The best way? Call NGC and verify. I have entertained myself with this topic long time ago.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
Problem is: NCS invoice only shows the type of coin(s)being conserved, no NGC cer # on it, therefore, it's not the real proof but only your impression that the coin you are buying is the one you see on NCS invoice. The best way? Call NGC and verify. I have entertained myself with this topic long time ago.

Pandaccumulator:

Not so. When NGC ships the coins back, one of the invoice pages shows NCS transfers the coins to NGC. That page has the NGC reference number, which is the certification number.

Have you ever submitted coins to NCS? Look it up and tell me if I'm wrong.

Offline pandaccumulator

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
Hi dynamike51,

I just checked the invoices I received from NCS/NGC, total of three pages, one from NCS, two from NGC. I was right by saying NCS invoice doesn't showe NGC #, you were right that on one of the pages from NGC, it does show the NCS reference #, which is the NGC cert #. I guess we were both right, maybe you were "more" right. So two ways: 1)ask for NGC invoice, NOT NCS invoice from the seller, 2)call NGC.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
Hi dynamike51,

I just checked the invoices I received from NCS/NGC, total of three pages, one from NCS, two from NGC. I was right by saying NCS invoice doesn't showe NGC #, you were right that on one of the pages from NGC, it does show the NCS reference #, which is the NGC cert #. I guess we were both right, maybe you were "more" right. So two ways: 1)ask for NGC invoice, NOT NCS invoice from the seller, 2)call NGC.

Example:  (this is a NCS invoice, right?) The middle column where it says "NGC reference" - that's your NGC certification number.

Offline pandaccumulator

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
Example:  (this is a NCS invoice, right?) The middle column where it says "NGC reference" - that's your NGC certification number.
Intersting, I looked at my NCS invoice again, mine dated 9/20/11 looked different from yours, it doesn't have the "NGC reference" as shown on yours,and this was also what I was told when I requested for NCS conservation proof from the seller recently. I think yours was back to the earlier date?

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
Intersting, I looked at my NCS invoice again, mine dated 9/20/11 looked different from yours, it doesn't have the "NGC reference" as shown on yours,and this was also what I was told when I requested for NCS conservation proof from the seller recently. I think yours was back to the earlier date?

07/09/2012

Offline panda

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »
If NGC is that good, why they don't dare to state it on the NGC slab lable?

Offline didochili

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 10:05:15 PM »
If NGC is that good, why they don't dare to state it on the NGC slab lable?

Great question.

Offline panda

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »
If NCS is that good, why they don't dare to state it on the NGC slab lable? :)

Offline pandaccumulator

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »
07/09/2012
07/09/2012
Wow, nice to see another improvement NGC recently made.

Offline pandaccumulator

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »
If NCS is that good, why they don't dare to state it on the NGC slab lable? :)
The reason is most high end collectors are willing to pay high premium on a natural, unaltered high grade coin (natural beauty). If they know the coin is conserved, or in another word, being altered,they will loss interest. MCC, esp silver is one of the few exceptions to the rule. This is business-guided.

low

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 11:07:32 PM »
The reason is most high end collectors are willing to pay high premium on a natural, unaltered high grade coin (natural beauty). If they know the coin is conserved, or in another word, being altered,they will loss interest. MCC, esp silver is one of the few exceptions to the rule. This is business-guided.

This is the reason PCGS withheld the idea of conservation. They talked about it several years ago.

Offline panda

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 11:24:57 PM »
if send a NCS coin crossover PCGS? Will PCGS grade it "ungradable"?

low

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 01:14:04 AM »

Yes. PCGS do grades lightly dipped and cleaned coin. They just don't want to publicly offering conservation service. Some people relate conservation to coin doctoring.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »

Of course they will.  PCGS has no way of really knowing if a modern coin has been "conserved".  The idea of the coin being "altered" in silly.