Author Topic: NCS Conservation  (Read 11644 times)

Offline silverxsurfer

• Trade Count: (+3)
NCS Conservation
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
Hello all,

Hope you've all been having a great summer.  I understand that it's important for silver coins to be NCS conserved but wanted to know how important it was for gold coins be NCS conserved?  What does the NCS conservation do for gold coins?

Thanks!

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NCS Conservation
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »
I conserve everything. They all have at least some dirt haze on them. Conservation will make the coin shine the best that it possibly can. It has gotten higher grades for me, also.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
From personal experience, conservation can increase the grades by up to 4.  I bought a 64, send in to NCS/NGC, and got back a 68.

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »
That's a trick I have made good money on. I like to buy coins that don't have any scratches or marks on them, but have hideous toning or haze. I get them cheap, because they are either already graded low, or they would if they were sent in like they are. After a trip through NCS, the ugly coin looks gorgeous, and gets a 69 or 70 grade! Instant money.

tamo42

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:07:20 PM »
I feel so dumb right now

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:03:09 PM »
From personal experience, conservation can increase the grades by up to 4.  I bought a 64, send in to NCS/NGC, and got back a 68.

It's still a crap-shoot? I have seen toned silver coins that come back after NCS looking terrible. After removing toning, sometimes pitted/stained areas are evident causing even lower grade than without NCS. Also, at times, I notice, after NCS, what looks like "water stains" remain on the silver coin. Maybe attributible to improper drying techniques.

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »
It's still a crap-shoot? I have seen toned silver coins that come back after NCS looking terrible. After removing toning, sometimes pitted/stained areas are evident causing even lower grade than without NCS. Also, at times, I notice, after NCS, what looks like "water stains" remain on the silver coin. Maybe attributible to improper drying techniques.

I have seen this happening to sealed 5 oz Silver coins. Many problem areas that would hide behind some dullness, after NCS it will come back to life and earn a lower grade :-)

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »
Also, there is a lot to be said for a uniquely toned silver coin. I don't think a little uniform toning is as much a factor for NGC grading as is the strike of the coin. The dreaded "white spots of death" some silver coins develop are the primary concern for submitting to NCS. So far as gold coins go, NCS will most likely get you a better grade if there are no permanent blemishes on the coin...  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:19:25 PM by Grip »

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 01:33:12 AM »
Silver coins benefit the most from conservation.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
Silver coins benefit the most from conservation.

Hmmmm. Not in my experiences. As I mentioned before, some silver comes back in worse shape after conservation. GOLD cleans up best. I would not hesitate to submit a spotted gold for conservation.

Offline bendip

• New
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 09:01:42 AM »
Just a question about verifying NCS coins. When looking at coins advertised as NGC- NCS Conserved. How can one verify coin was actually conserved? Tried typing NGC number into NCS CERTIFICATION NUMBER LOOK UP but it says No Coin was found matching that search?
Hope this is the right place for question and appreciate any assistance.
Kind regards,
Ben

Offline pandaccumulator

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 09:49:26 AM »
Just a question about verifying NCS coins. When looking at coins advertised as NGC- NCS Conserved. How can one verify coin was actually conserved? Tried typing NGC number into NCS CERTIFICATION NUMBER LOOK UP but it says No Coin was found matching that search?
Kind regards,
Ben
I have to call NGC customer service,giving them NGC cert #, most of the time, they will be able to tell, only if the coin was NCS conserved, then directly sent for grading.

Offline bendip

• New
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 12:16:44 PM »
Thank you for quick response. As of interest. I just contact seller asking if they would be kind enough to email NCS invoice. Second best option I suppose. Thanks and good luck!

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »
Kind regards,
Ben

Ben,

If you care to verify seller's claim of NCS conservation, it's best to contact the seller directly and ask for a NCS invoice - either a digital copy or a hardcopy.  My 2cents   :mellow:

Offline sasushi

• Trade Count: (+12)
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »
@dynamike51

I agree