Author Topic: Need hlep about Yuan Shih Kai coins  (Read 5094 times)

Offline happycoins II

• Trade Count: (0)
Need hlep about Yuan Shih Kai coins
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:18:51 AM »
Recently, there have been quite a number of Yuan Shih Kai coins on the street in Bangkok. They were tested by acid, and it was apparent that they are all silver and weighted about 26.5 to 26.8 grams. However, I am so curious about their authenticity because of their edge as shown in the pictures attached hereto.

Has anyone seen the coins's edge like this before? If so, are these coins genuine or not?

Thanks     

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Need hlep about Yuan Shih Kai coins
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 06:28:42 AM »
Dear happycoins II,

Your Yuan Shih Kai dollars look ok. However I can't say in 100% that those are genuine coins. The coins' edges are little different than those Yuan Shih Kai dollars which I saw.
Better be careful, cause Chinese makes not only those low quality fakes with silver-plated metal or white copper but also coins which the same silver content as genuine ones. I also got information from one chinese coin dealer that those silver fakes have 38,5mm in diameter and have between 26,5g to 26,8g and you must be very careful when you buy those old silver Yuan Shih Kai dollars. Could you send more clear photo of coins' edges?

Recently, there have been quite a number of Yuan Shih Kai coins on the street in Bangkok. They were tested by acid, and it was apparent that they are all silver and weighted about 26.5 to 26.8 grams. However, I am so curious about their authenticity because of their edge as shown in the pictures attached hereto.

Has anyone seen the coins's edge like this before? If so, are these coins genuine or not?

Thanks     
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
Dear KONDi,

Here we go. The more clearer pictures.

Please note that even on their obverses show different years of issuance; i.e. 3, 8, 10, they have a common unusual mark of a short raised line on the reverse below the ribbon (which is very strange). Moreover, their edges are not well made. Therefore, I believe we should stay away from this kind of coins.

Feel free to make any further comments. :thumbup:

Happycoins     

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:07:57 AM »
Didn't see this topic before... These YSK dollars are all fake. The green substance on the edge is characteristic of fake 包奖.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:09:53 AM »
Dear happycoins II,

You should show me clear photos of those coins earlier my friend. Each YSK dollar with a different years of issuance: 3, 8 and 10 with that mark on the reverse below the ribbon is a fake coin. Those fakes are made with silver. I agree that edges are not well made and for me they don't look natural. The reverse of those 3 coins whas made with the same die. Those who creat those high grade silver fakes know that we will check: weight, diameter and thick and to make sure we will believe it is genuine one they will creat some special mark which will make us to believe this is indeed genuine, but it is not. Take a look on special marks which YSK dollars (year 8) 1919 have on my photos whichare genuine. I am only worry that they will see those mark on genuine coins and correct their mistakes in future---let's hope they won't :scared: :thumbdown:
So the rumor about silver fake must be true I guess. Be careful when you buy old chinese silver coins right now or but them from someone who you can trust! Also return those all coins to the seller and ask him for full refund. Hope it helps you.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:30:33 AM »
Didn't see this topic before... These YSK dollars are all fake. The green substance on the edge is characteristic of fake 包奖.
Dear happycoins II,

You should show me clear photos of those coins earlier my friend. Each YSK dollar with a different years of issuance: 3, 8 and 10 with that mark on the reverse below the ribbon is a fake coin. Those fakes are made with silver. I agree that edges are not well made and for me they don't look natural. The reverse of those 3 coins whas made with the same die. Those who creat those high grade silver fakes know that we will check: weight, diameter and thick and to make sure we will believe it is genuine one they will creat some special mark which will make us to believe this is indeed genuine, but it is not. Take a look on special marks which YSK dollars (year 8) 1919 have on my photos whichare genuine. I am only worry that they will see those mark on genuine coins and correct their mistakes in future---let's hope they won't :scared: :thumbdown:
So the rumor about silver fake must be true I guess. Be careful when you buy old chinese silver coins right now or but them from someone who you can trust! Also return those all coins to the seller and ask him for full refund. Hope it helps you.
Thanks to the comments from both of you. Luckily, I haven't purchased the coins, but just took pictures for a case study.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »
The pleasure is always on my side happycoins II :)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com