Author Topic: 5 Oz Gold - 1988 - Dragon  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Pandana

• Trade Count: (0)
5 Oz Gold - 1988 - Dragon
« on: May 25, 2011, 01:01:07 PM »
Hi - I am new to the forum, and would like to request help to determine value of the 1988 - 5 OZ Gold Dragon Coin.  There is a box, but no COA, condition - I would say average.  It's a very nice coin that I inherited.
Thanks
MHDN

Offline badon

Re: 5 Oz Gold - 1988 - Dragon
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »
Welcome to our forum!

As a guess, I'd say it's worth between $20,000 and $30,000. The condition makes a huge difference in its value. If it has ever been touched by anybody, or removed from it's protective holder for any reason, it is very likely to have been significantly damaged. One tiny mark on the coin could cost you $10,000 of its value, so hopefully no one has removed it from it's protective holder.

Even when in the protective holder, very often these large size coins have been improperly handled by the mint employees. So, it might have been damaged before it even got into the protective holder. If you can get a 69 grade on it from NGC, it will be worth a top-end market value.

Offline Pandana

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 01:40:15 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Wow.  The coin certainly had been handled; eventhough it's in the plastic holder - but schowing marks...  Again, thanks.  Perhaps, I will try to post an image to better show the coin. Regards

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:52:41 PM »
One of the forum members sold an ungraded 1988 5 oz gold Dragon recently for a little over $16,000.  It was still in its double plastic wrapper, but it had unsightly red blemishes. 

I purchased a 1988 5 oz gold Dragon, graded NGC PF69UC, within the past few months from a friend in the price range mentioned by Badon.  It is an excellent coin, without any problems. 

If I were asked to purchase your coin, based upon your description, I would be frightened to pay $12,000.

As Badon mentioned,"condition makes a huge difference in its value."

By the way, what does "schowing marks" mean?  I have guessed it means something terrible, but I do not really know.

Mark Bonke   

Offline Pandana

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 02:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the comment/response - sorry for the typo - not yet good as a typist - schowing = showing...
I am not planning to sell it at all, at least not yet ...
Regards

Offline Pandana

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
By the way, marks = hairline...

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
Please do post pictures.  Hairline marks are certainly different than what I had imagined.  I will enjoy seeing the actual surfaces of your coin.  Many, many collectors of coins collect ones with dragon images.

As Badon mentioned, coins are easy to damage so be careful when you are taking the pictures.

Mark Bonke

Offline badon

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »
No need to be careful when taking pictures. Just do not remove it from its protective holder for ANY REASON - EVER! Especially not for something as stupid as taking pictures. I have bought beautiful coins based on pictures, only to receive total garbage because the photographer played hockey with the coin before putting it back in the holder.

Check out the fingerprints and wax that's been stuck to this formerly-pristine coin:

http://www.mkdigitaldirect.com/tips/coin_photography_tips.html#3

That's how a fool does coin photography. A poor fool.

Even if you're an expert, it's stupid to touch the coins. Of course, the dumber a person is, the more likely they are to think they're an expert. Beware. Never take your coins out of the holders.

Did you know the twist-type holders on most of those large size coins will scratch the coins every time you twist them on and off? Yeah, NEVER open the protective holders for ANY REASON EVER! NO REASON.

Seriously, that mediocre amateur photo you want to take could cost you $10,000 and it's not worth it. You could hire everybody at NGC - WITH CATERING AND A LIVE BAND - to take the photo for that much money.