Author Topic: Join NCS Question...  (Read 1580 times)

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
Join NCS Question...
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »
Anyone care to chime in? 

Does it matter if one purchase an Elite plan for $249/per or Premium $109/per, finally Associate for $39/year in the pursuit of a higher grade?  Or does it even matter at all?  I have often heard if ones a Dealer NGC automatically grades the slabs higher and that's pretty interesting...I'd love to hear any thoughts, thanks in advance! 

Offline larrydreher

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Join NCS Question...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:31:08 AM »
YOu can submit to NCS under any plan.  It doesn't matter. Prices are the same.

" have often heard if ones a Dealer NGC automatically grades the slabs higher "

There are lots of rumors out there.  I'm pretty confident that the grader has no idea who submitted the coin.  The funny thing is that I was at a show and having this same discussion with a dealer who was convinced he got beter grades by submitting small batches as a collector.  He felt large "dealer" orders got lower grades.

Offline badon

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:47:19 PM »
I agree about the grade rumors. I don't think there's any substance to them. My own investigation of the issue says that there may be a correlation of more consistent (and sometimes higher) grades with large batches of the same types of coins, because the graders get to see what's a flaw and what's a die characteristic, but other than that, I see no evidence of deliberate over or under grading by the graders, depending on who is submitting, or how much is submitted.

Just, when the grader has more specimens in front of him for comparison, he can assign more fair grades to each coin because he'll know what marks on the coin are not supposed to count against the grade.

Here's a good example of a common planchet flaw that might be mistaken for damage if it weren't compared with other coins to see that flaw is common in all the coins:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=1115.msg3417#msg3417

The coin got a 70 grade because it's otherwise "perfect", compared to other coins of the same type.

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:48:35 PM »
I should add that it's less work for the graders when they get a large batch. When they're constantly swapping out large batches, it adds some record-keeping work that puts them in a worse mood. Seriously. With large batches, they can just do grading, which is what they'd rather be doing.

Offline heyimderrick

• Trading Reputation
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
I realize this is an older thread, but in case anyone else has the same question, here is my experience. I chose the $109 premium option. With this, you get 5 free submission for NGC (which basically pays for the membership), and access to all of the other services.

To me, the extra $140 for the Elite membership didn't make sense because you would have to submit a large volume of coins to benefit from the 10% discount...plus the 10% discount is only for NGC grading, not NCS services.

"10% off NGC Grading Tiers (NCS services and on-site services excluded)"