Author Topic: Can NCS fix this coin?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline shuttlespace

• Trade Count: (0)
Can NCS fix this coin?
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »
If NCS can't fix it, what impact would the copper spot have on the grade?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:31:44 PM by shuttlespace »

Offline badon

Re: Can NCS fix this coin?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »
I think NCS can fix that, no problem :)

Offline shuttlespace

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:38:35 PM »
I guess there's no way I can get a PF67 or higher for this coin?

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »
I have seen worse coins earn 70 grades, once NCS does their magic. The copper spots are not a problem on this coin. NCS should be able to remove them, and you'll have a fair chance at getting a good grade for this coin, as long as it is worthy of it.

Offline shuttlespace

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »
Are there any other modern gold coins in worse condition? I thought this is the worst you can get. I chatted with Jim and his opinion is to return it. But now you are saying it does not matter. I am debating now.

Offline badon

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »
I don't know the circumstances of your purchase. If you did not know it was this ugly, then returning it may be an option. Also, even though the copper spots can be fixed by NCS, that does not mean that there are not other problems with the coin.

For example, the light brown areas on the coin that shows in the photos are sometimes areas that have abrasions and scratches. I can't tell from the photo whether that is the case with your coin though, it could just be more toning that NCS can easily remove for you.

You may want to take the coin to a local NGC dealer, and ask him his opinion about it. You can find one of theme here:
e
http://www.ngccoin.com/services/dealer_listing.asp?state=CA

Just change the state to your state, if you're in the USA.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:05:55 AM »
Reviving this old thread because I saw a before/after pictures on NCS site that remind me of this coin. 

http://www.ncscoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2623&Conservation-Showcase:-1984-China-S10Y
Did Shuttlespace ever get back and show the coin afterward?

Offline badon

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:11:53 AM »
Wow, that's exactly what many of the 1984 pagodas looked like before conservation. I wonder why the 1984 coins look so similar? What is that stuff all over them? I guess the only thing that really matters is that NCS can remove it.

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
Reviving this old thread because I saw a before/after pictures on NCS site that remind me of this coin. 

http://www.ncscoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2623&Conservation-Showcase:-1984-China-S10Y
Did Shuttlespace ever get back and show the coin afterward?

On Feb 22, 2012 NCS fee was $22.5?  How much 1oz dragon coin will cost now?

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »
On Feb 22, 2012 NCS fee was $22.5?  How much 1oz dragon coin will cost now?

Well now NCS will be 5% of whatever value you put on the coin + 16.50 for grading and more for any "extras" you pick.
So in this case, lets say you put the value at 3-4k which is what the coin is likely worth (depending on grade).  You would pay anywhere from $150-$200 for conservation + 16.50 for grading.  If you low balled the value to spot gold.  Say $1650-$1700, you would pay about $85.00 + 16.50.  Supposedly NGC can verify that value and I have no idea what they would do if they caught a person putting a low value.  Probably just charge a higher fee.  The downside of putting a low value is that if the coin were damaged during conservation or grading all they would reimburse would be the amount you put as the value.  There is a bit of risk there.

Either way, a lot more than $22.50!  Even the low value coins $300 or less now cost $26.50 to NCS / Grade.

Hope this helps.