Author Topic: Are Too Many Pandas Being Graded?  (Read 20819 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Are Too Many Pandas Being Graded?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
When quality OMP becomes rarer, the price should reflect its rarity more appropriately, thus its demand. Remember, OMP coins can always be graded later, a graded coin can always be regraded with the same or different grader, but a graded coin can never go back to be OMP.

Not so; a coin can be resealed, possibly even by one of the official mints in China. If OMPs go up in value I expect the supply will expand, too.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2012, 12:48:09 PM »
Anyone reading this thread should also read this from a chinese expert Huang Ruiyong and translated by fwang2450

The translation and pictures are now available at:

http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2012/12/on-omp-and-coas-of-precious-metal.html

This is a good addition to the discussion right now on OMP.

Like he says, condition of the COIN is what will matter most in the end.  Coins should be kept in whatever medium protects them the best. Whether it be OMP, graded, other holders, coin books, etc.  You decide.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:51:50 PM by Obsidian »

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »
Anyone reading this thread should also read this from a chinese expert Huang Ruiyong and translated by fwang2450

Like he says, condition of the COIN is what will matter most in the end.  Coins should be kept in whatever medium protects them the best. Whether it be OMP, graded, other holders, coin books, etc.  You decide.

I completely agree, Obsidian.   At the end of the day, preservation of the coin will be of the utmost importance.    Coins in plastic holders have different risk than other collectibles...the cardboard box from a vintage Corgi car can't damage the car inside...the materials that comprise an old tweed case can't damage the vintage Fender Stratocaster inside.  But the PVC in the plastic holders from many years of MCC coins CAN damage the coin - it's the rare case where the original packaging can, and often does, negatively affect the contents if the packaging goes bad.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »
If OMPs go up in value I expect the supply will expand, too.

"...will expand, too" with 68 and 67 quality coins in the resealed packaging, rather than 69 quality coins that we currently find in the US. After some point (years or decades depends on how fast original owners sell) most 69 quality gold pandas will be in slabs and the preception will be the OMP is either resealed with inferior coins or the OMP original seal has an inferior coin with irreversible PVC or toning damage, either way OMP will be less desirable than 69 slab to the knowledgeable collector in my opinion based on what I know today and see in the marketplace with advanced investors.  Exceptions will occur, like the 1985 or 1986 Mint Proof set with Fen coins, but they will be far and few in between.

So far I have only seen Shanghai Mint resealed packaging, no Shenyang or Shenzhen yet, but I will be on the look out during my January trip to China.

Arif

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52:23 PM »
... but I will be on the look out during my January trip to China.

Arif

Nice.  I'm envious.  Will this be strictly business, or will you be able to weave some vacation into it?

Birdman

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
Only 1-2 days in the coin market.  I teach a class on international real estate for US MBA students, visiting Shanghai, Hangzhou, Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Macau - it is focused on how US private equity can make money in China.  The short answer is, it is very hard.

Keep an eye on Ticker CHIQ - China Consumer ETF, it is pointing to increased discretionary spending by the Chinese consumer which may bode well for coin market if gold can get out of this trading range. 

Arif

Offline Jay

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Rare Panda Coins Inc
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
How about private equity investment in Chinese gold coins  ;)

Jay

Offline Lightsview

• Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2012, 05:58:26 AM »

albertmorison

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2012, 04:53:29 AM »
This is good if your your pandas should be graded with PCGS and NGC . Because of this your product is properly checked and quality of the product also showed.

Offline Silver bullion boy

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »
This has been a great thread. I would love to send my coins over to the States, I live in the UK. But all the costs involved are stopping me from doing so, and I'm paranoid just in case they go missing in transit! I have noticed there is hardly any graded Pandas over here, just in raw, omp. This is probably the reason behind it!

Offline james007

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Wow! Never thought about it! Sell a stack of graded pandas to England! I never thought about it! I always thought if I wanted some extra value I would have to go to China to sell. But now that I know that the UK wants graded pandas and think about VAT or loss of package. Awesome second prospect! You guys make the world smaller every day. Thank you for the posts!!

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
I was talking about gold pandas that are single sealed should be graded ASAP before PVC or red spot damage is irreversible. 

I received an OMP gold panda in the mail today.  After seeing it, I did something I never did before.  I immediately cut it out of the OMP and put in in an inert flip.  The reason I did so is that it was clear that the packaging was starting to degrade and affect the surface of the coin.  This was a 1990 coin. 

I am definitely noticing this issue more than I did several years ago.  Part of it is that I am now more knowledgeable and aware of the issue, but I have to wonder whether the the last several years has given those older OMP that much more time to reach the age at which degradation accelerates, such that the issue is more prevalent than it was several years ago.

I will definitely send this coin through NCS.  I worry, however, whether the residue on this coin might have already caused permanent damage.

Offline Agpanda

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
    • agpandas
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2017, 01:32:47 PM »
How does OMP stands against graded in China today?
It´s interesting to read this old treads and see if things changed

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »
How does OMP stands against graded in China today?
It´s interesting to read this old treads and see if things changed

IMO, not too much, very few dates have graded panda more than 10% of the known mintage, especially gold panda, less than 5% for common dates. NGC went to China in 2010.

Offline bender9876

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2017, 06:32:20 PM »
NGC are better than PCGS for pandas