Author Topic: Are Too Many Pandas Being Graded?  (Read 19539 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Are Too Many Pandas Being Graded?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »
Great info - thanks for researching and analyzing that for us!

Offline makav31i

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 05:58:25 AM »
This is my humble take on why most Chinese people will not grade their coin...

The cost of grading, the risk involve shipping overseas to the US especially for high priced coin. For the cost of grading, most would rather save that additional money and buy more coins as compared to having a few graded coin. What I feel is most Chinese think it is better to have more coins with different years due to the availability of funds. Another thing is with regards to the shipping risk to overseas like the US as it is illegal for the Chinese to shipped gold and silver out of the country just to get the coin graded and shipped the coin back to China. The anxiety and waiting time and shipping to and fro the grading firm is too much for some people who only got limited funds or just start coin collecting as if their coins are lost when sending for grading, will make them hate grading coins even more. I strongly feel most just don't want to go through the hassle of grading the coins..

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 12:16:23 PM »
Thanks for your fine follow-up analysis, pandamania.  It reaffirmed makav31i's humble take and strong feeling.  Welcome to the forum, makav31i, BTW. The answers to the original question posted remain varied and in most cases equally valid.  Each to our own...

Offline badon

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 04:07:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum makav31i!

Offline makav31i

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 02:46:32 AM »
Thank you all..I am a long time lurker in the forum..Hope to learn more from all you experts...

low

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 04:42:13 AM »
Welcome makav31i

Sorry but I have to disagree. I believe more and more Chinese people will submit coins to NGC.

There is a company in Guang Zhou who can help the collector to submit coins to NCS/NGC for grading. There is also a good NGC authorized coin dealer in China.

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=656
http://www.gbngc.com/

To a lesser extent, there is also an NGC authorized dealer in Singapore, and many of Singaporean coin collector (mainly Chinese) also collect China coins.

Offline makav31i

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 05:18:24 AM »
Hi Low...Thank you for your opinion and what I mention is just my own personal take which might be wrong...I am from Singapore and I think you are refering to Mavin International which is the NGC authorized retailer in Singapore..I know most of the lao jiao(old bird)  coin collectors collect the old imperial china coins and banknotes and not many collect modern china coin...I don't really know if there is much interest in China coin collecting in Singapore as the forum that I am a member of which most Singaporeans are there,rarely talk about China modern coins as most are bullion stackers...Finding a shop that sell silver is already so difficult in Singapore much less modern Chinese coins...Even looking at ebay Singapore,not many China coin seller and buyer and things just get relisted over and over again...I really wish,pray and hope that the Chinese coin market would take off in Singapore...I am looking forward to the Singapore International coin fair next year hosted by Panda America to see how the responds are like and maybe get to meet other coin collectors...

Offline pandamania

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
This is an interesting reference point and comparison:

If we use the same methodology and insert "eagle" into "coins and paper money" on Ebay US and presume there are roughly the same percentage on non modern eagle items there are currently about 23,500 listings of which close to 33% are graded. It would make sense that a higher percentage of pandas get graded simply because of the fake issue.

We are very aware of the comparative scarcity of pandas vs eagles and the Ebay market confirms this with about 7 eagles listed for every panda.

low

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
Hi makav31i,

Nice to hear you are from Singapore.

low

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »
We are very aware of the comparative scarcity of pandas vs eagles and the Ebay market confirms this with about 7 eagles listed for every panda.

You can find some nicely graded coins at www.taobao.com but the site is slow loading as with many other Chinese website.

low

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 11:23:02 PM »
OMP vs Slab, many of the arguments are similar to what's being said here in CCF.  There is a strong tone of xenophobia and conspiracy, however.  I don't blame them, the whole idea of sending Chinese coins produced in China to America to be authenticated and graded is embarrassing to the average Chinese.

low

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
Actually the same argument also happens in Australia. It just seems that after 4 years (maybe way longer) of heated debate, PCGS has gained some recognition.

Talking about OMP, here is some interesting comment from Mr.Ge http://www.jbtz.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=15819

至于要不要剪去原塑封袋,还有疑问吗?

low

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »
Some interesting comment on graded coins.

http://www.jibi.net/News/qbqbcx/8_47_52_812.html

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 01:31:17 AM »

Talking about OMP, here is some interesting comment from Mr.Ge http://www.jbtz.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=15819

至于要不要剪去原塑封袋,还有疑问吗?

Low, thanks for the article.

Here is a rough translation of the post:

Why do plastic sealed silver coins still develop WSOD (white fog)? (GÉZHǓKĀNG)

Those who collect silver coinage often times will have this sort of experience, clearly with plastic sealed silver coins, over time they tend to naturally develop a layer of WSOD, why is this?
   Originally, it was the OMP bags that are the as the prime culprits! Because when the coins were originally sealed, they used a blast of compressed air into the plastic bag, and after placing ten coins into the plastic a hot press seals them. If you don't open this plastic seal, it is hopeless.
It is a shame that these beautiful coins are forever being subjected to the torment of oily residue, and high acidiity of compressed air. However, once you discover the WSOD has developed on your coins it is too late to rectify. Opening the original seal and washing with a silver rinse has no hope of eliminating WSOD, leaving you with nothing but regret remaining!
   I undertook an experiment in 1993, by taking two 1983 copper pandas that I purchased for 10 Yuan; one I cut open the original plastic, but left it in the original plastic capsule, the other 1983 copper panda I left in the OMP sealed, and I placed the two of them together, slowly over a four year period, the coin that I left in OMP started to turn black to the point that it was no longer bright and shiny, however the one that I had cut from the original package was still as good as new, In 1997 I sold the one that I had cut out for 500 yuan, however the one that was left in the OMP sold for just 250 Yuan.  I think that any numismatists coming to visit my small shop during these years would have understood this matter.
   With the exception of a few very polluted areas the air in our natural living environment is typically quite clean, gold and silver coins will not be adversely affected by moving around in the air of a clean environment. However, when you take gold and silver coins and you mix them with compressed air from an air compressor and seal them together, after a while those coins will cause you to suffer!
As to whether or not you should cut open the OMP or not, is this even debatable anymore?

PH