Author Topic: Bad Experience With Rarecoincollector Online Store  (Read 7600 times)

Offline Pandaguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Bad Experience With Rarecoincollector Online Store
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
I used to be a steady customer of Rarecoincollector in Florida. I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM EVER AGAIN! Last month, I saw, purchased and paid for a 1989 God of Wealth Type 3 (Super-clouded claw) NGC PF69 UC. They sent me a Type 1 (Clear claw). After informing them, and after a few email exchanges, they told me that the one displayed was only "representative”. That is fine, but I DO expect to receive the same "type” as displayed. It’s kind of like seeing a “small date” and receiving a “large date”. They told me that at the time I bought it, they were unaware of the different types. They were simply pulling them off of their shelf and sending to buyers. Bottom line, they refused to make good and send me the correct coin even though they did sell a Type 3 (at a higher price) after our email exchanges. In closing, I told them that I was very disappointed in their very poor and non-caring customer service I received. I returned the Type 1 for refund. They lost a good customer. They are not on Ebay any longer. Hmmmmm…….

Offline badon

Re: Bad Experience With Rarecoincollector Online Store
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:35:51 PM »
The next article I'm writing is dealing with the issue of very poor customer service from sales outside of ebay, even from the most respected sellers. Standards for customer satisfaction seem to go way down once Ebay is cut out.

I may like to add a mention of your experience to my article. Can you tell me if they had a super clouded claw in stock, but just decided not to send it once they realized there were varieties?

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »
Please feel free to mention my bad experience. I do not know what they had in stock. However, I do know that they sold a super clouded claw for big bucks shortly AFTER my emails with them. As a matter of fact, I remember one member posting that they either bought it or saw it sell quickly.

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »
Hmm, you're obviously disappointed about the one that got away, but if they didn't have a super clouded claw in stock, then the best any dealer can do is refund your money. You may want to rethink your disdain for them. I'm not sure it's 100% warranted.

However, it is a good policy for sellers to mention that the item photo is representative of the item, and not the actual item. Experienced sellers know that mentioning that fact is the only way to avoid disappointing customers.

So, your frustration is not entirely unwarranted. Hopefully after my article comes out, sellers will feel the pressure to ensure that they provide the best buying experience possible for their customers. The market is dealing with an epidemic of bad service in off-ebay transactions right now.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »
Sorry, my dissatisfaction is 200% warranted!!! They told me that they had some at NGC being graded. They would send one out to me if they got a 69. Well.....that 69 went on their website and sold for big bucks. They lied to make a few extra hundred dollars, and they also lost a loyal customer. They refunded my money after they knew that I was adamant in receiving the correct type.

Offline badon

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 12:08:25 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear that. The super clouded claw is ridiculously hard to find, and being so close to getting one has got to be gut-wrenching. It's quite a prize.

Some dealers are religious about delivering exactly what they sell you. I've heard some amazing stories about them going out to scour the market to deliver a coin at a loss, just to make sure they actually deliver as promised. These sellers all sell on ebay.

They're not the cheapest sellers, but you get what you pay for. Their prices are a bit higher usually, but their coins are the best, and their customer service is worth every penny. You may want to contact some of them to see if they can get you this elusive coin. The super clouded claw is almost impossible to find without asking for it specifically. Even then, it's going to be tough.

Just make sure you ask them to post it on ebay for you. You're much more likely to have a good experience that way. The extra costs are worth it. I have paid thousands of dollars more, just for that assurance, and I've never been disappointed. I got some great coins that are worth far more than what I paid for them now.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Rarecoincollector DID post the Super clouded claw photo on their website. That is what I bought -- or so I thought! When they gained knowledge (regarding the 3 types) after the fact (sale), they sang a very poor customer tune by refusing to send me that type coin or similar. So---- sometimes a photo of the item is not what you receive; and in my case with this particular company, I didn't even receive similar. Bad, bad, all the way around.  :thumbdown:  That is one reason why I will NEVER again buy from Rarecoincollector web store again!  :mad:

Offline badon

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »
The funny thing is that even though many sellers think they're saving money by not selling on Ebay, in actual fact, I think they lose just as much money by not keeping up with the market - which is ON EBAY.

For example, the rarecoincollector web store is popular with buyers because they often underprice their coins way below what the same coin would sell for on Ebay. The super clouded claw that sold for $2100 is a great example of that. No one knows what that coin would have sold for on Ebay, but since the clear claw sells for that much and it's around 5 times more common, I think we may have seen something shocking happen if it were put up for auction on Ebay.

They're going to have to sell a lot of coins without Ebay fees to make up for the lost profits they could have had on just that one coin if it were sold on Ebay. Ebay is THE market for coins.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:55:34 PM »
When they initially set up their website, deals were there because they were not 100% intune to the market. However, now, I believe that most of their prices are higher than ebay. Several months ago, I had several items in my basket and ready to pay. When I proceeded to pay, the prices were much higher than a few minutes prior. I called to find out "what the heck??" You don't change prices after a customer has the items in the shopping cart. Just one more of my bad experiences with Rarecoincollector in Florida.

Offline badon

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »
Dealers often have to set prices high just to keep up with the market. It's amazing how fast prices are rising.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 11:42:26 PM »
That is true. And it was especially amazing to see Rarecoincollector of Florida raise their prices on my chosen items even after I had placed the items in my shopping cart followed by check-out!   :cursing:

Offline badon

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 11:46:17 PM »
That has happened to me on Ebay too, so sometimes you just have to be faster :)

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 11:59:26 PM »
Not true. On ebay, once you click "agree to purchase" your price is locked-in. That is, unless the seller changed the price the second prior to you clicking. Highly unlikely. When buying on a website, once an item is in your shopping cart, I believe that you have a tacit agreement with the seller to buy at the stated price. Of course, there is notning forcing you to proceed to checkout to pay. However, that is the same as when you go grocery shopping and remove an item from your cart and replace it onto the shelf because you changed your mind. Yes, the person paying, has the final say in the matter of a sale. What Rarecoincollector did by raising the prices of the items in my shopping cart, is the same as if you purchased a share of common stock for $1, and prior to settlement, the brokerage house damanded $2 due to the fact that the stock had doubled in value prior to you actually paying. Agree?

Offline badon

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »
No, that's not quite right. An online shopping cart is something that can sit around for months. For example, Amazon.com will tell you every time you check your cart if prices have changed, but you have to reload the cart to see that, and it can happen while you're still shopping around.

The way Ebay does it with Buy-It-Now and auctions, you commit to buy something before you actually pay for it. In fact, they don't even have a shopping cart, so the comparison really doesn't work. All they have is a list of stuff you've committed to buy, and the total that you're required to pay.

I don't think your shopping cart experience was unusual, so maybe if you were giving them a hard time about it, they may have decided not to do business with you. I think they should have some patience with you if that is the case, since not everyone is familiar with the way each company's shopping cart works.

As an aside, I have heard stories of similar difficulties in learning different shopping cart systems for each seller website, and some of those situations have resulted in impatient mistreatment of earnest customers trying to buy coins.

That's another reason why Ebay is so popular. People have gotten used to it, and know what to expect. With custom websites, each one is different, and it can lead to misunderstandings and frustration for both buyer and seller.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 12:30:18 AM »
Some of the better carts have disclaimer that if order is not completed within 10 minutes then price is subjected to change.

My 2 cents after some overtime from my day job  :biggrin: