Author Topic: Sycees  (Read 2285 times)

Underbidder

• Trade Count: (0)
Sycees
« on: April 17, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »
I know, they're not coins. But they ARE Chinese culturally significant precious metals, used like coins before coins.
Very very cool. Traditionally silver, in many shapes- boat, round, drum, saddle, groove, etc. Check out the unbelievably gorgeous gold ones from the Long Beach auction. PM me if anyone has these for sale or trade.
Here's a Five Tael (6 plus ounces) modern I may add soon to my collection.

Underbidder

Re: Sycees
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »
Gold Sycees from the Long Beach auction.  By the way, most sycees available these days are just modern reproductions or fakes that even fool the experts, and should be left to the experts to judge.  I just like the form.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:53:50 PM by Underbidder »

Offline happycoins II

Re: Sycees
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »
I have only seen those gold sycees in auctions from time to time, but never seen them in any coin store in my country. However, in the past (before the Chinese people started buying back), silver saddle sycees as attached were abundant in my country.

Their weights are in the range from 190 to 220 grams. The vendor told me that they were produced in Yunan province. They are all made of silver and look cool so I bought them a couple years ago.

I notice they are a bit different from each other. Therefore, I would very very helpful if anyone could educate me about thier varieties (I can't read Chinese).       

Happycoins