Author Topic: WOW of the day  (Read 668131 times)

Underbidder

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: WOW of the day
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2011, 12:43:16 AM »
True

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2011, 12:50:32 AM »
If we can demonstrate a BIG conspiracy on eBay, not just for Chinese coins, than the media might get interested. Does anyone know if this kind of thing happens with U.S. coins? That might interest the numismatic media, at least.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

eBay is very high profile and highly visible. If these kind of things are happening with coins, may be they are happening with other high price collectibles too. There is a very high chance mainstream media may take interest.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2011, 01:53:25 AM »
mikew-actions reports that he will block this bidder from all his future auctions.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Underbidder

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2011, 02:29:21 AM »
Well, Thank God, then that solves THAT PROBLEM!!  :lol:

Move along folks, all fixed, nothing to see.

Underbidder

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2011, 02:33:53 AM »
Pandora, yes they are. It's rampant like KJ said, and I've said more than a few times, caveat emptor, and thanks to poconopenn for his sleuthing.  Don't be Pollyanna, be aware of your seller and the other bidders. Play cards but cut the deck yourself.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2011, 02:41:51 AM »
Well, Thank God, then that solves THAT PROBLEM!!  :lol:

Move along folks, all fixed, nothing to see.

Underbidder, I'm curious, what you are doing or what do you suggest to solve the problem(s) you see on eBay? Caveat emptor isn't exactly hot news. Anything else? I plan to avoid auctions that t**n and a couple of others who have been mentioned are bidding on. I also added the name of one seller to the list of those I don't trust. I very much hope that we can collectively complain enough that eBay changes their bid retraction policies. That would eliminate one headache. Anything else? Thanks!

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Underbidder

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2011, 02:54:31 AM »
Me? I 'm trying to get people riled up who are being cheated. Riled up enough to get on the phone and demand eBay clean up by banishing the obvious cheats.  I do that. But we need to do it en mass.  They'll come back, but we need to make it harder. Blocking them one seller at a time is a start, so thanks, on behalf of us all, but we need to pull up the weed a bit to shake off the dirt.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2011, 03:09:01 AM »
We are in 100% agreement on that and that eBay needs to change the bid retraction rules. I hope that everyone who has been following this discussion contacts eBay and lets them know that they are less likely to do business on eBay if this situation isn't remedied. I will call eBay again tonight to make that point.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Underbidder

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2011, 03:24:42 AM »
PA, you are the MVP on this site, thanks for all you do!  But  really, " let them know we are less likely to do business?"  "Maybe somewhat less likely?" :biggrin:
Jeez, let's demand to get rid of the cheats, period.
Name 'em and demand banning. Together. Now.

Offline Straitssettlementshop

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2011, 03:38:08 AM »
Panda Collector,
With so much fictitious bids on ebay I wonder how are you going to record the realized price on ebay into Pricepedia.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2011, 03:41:21 AM »
I intend to name names when I call.

And I have to add that there are several MVP candidates here and that we are all collectively winners.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2011, 03:59:16 AM »
Panda Collector,
With so much fictitious bids on ebay I wonder how are you going to record the realized price on ebay into Pricepedia.

It will make more work for me. Fortunately, this seems to be a problem in a minority of auctions. If a price seems out of line I will look into it as I always do. I already don't report prices that seem strange or inexplicable. I figure that the readers are willing to rely on my judgment that a price is misleading and should be excluded, or included only as a note. I have now added certain bidders to my blacklist and will do my best to exclude auctions where they could have influenced the final price.

I do think that, as KonaJim said, we have to realize that all auctions can be manipulated. The Pricepedia does include dealer prices to compare the auction results to and between auctions and fixed-priced dealer lists one can generally get close to the mark. As one experienced dealer likes to say, you have to triangulate to find the true price of a Chinese coin – its value is the sum of several different pieces of information, not just one. I try to put as much relevant information as possible into each issue so that we can establish a realistic range of values for the coins.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline reiboy

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2011, 09:04:51 AM »
Why don't we start a thread/list to keep track of the bad bidders, with links to their activities so that newcomers to this info will have an easier time identifying suspect auctions?

We can post all the info we know about the buyers, like t**n's true ebay id etc. and also include the names of sellers that are strongly suspected of inappropriate activity.

Offline MrOrganic

• WORLDCOLLECTIBLES310
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2011, 12:23:09 PM »
Hello Gang,

Seems like every feebay auction that AU3000 is a wow of the day!   whats going on?????
EMERGING MARKET GROUP  
195 south BEVERLY Dr. BEVERLY HILLS

Long Beach Expo
..Table #838

DECEMBER: Macau/H.K.

JANUARY: N.Y.

AUGUST: Hong Kong

GO TO my Ebay Click: http://stores.ebay.com/worldcollectibles310

EMERGING MARKET GROUP

PCGS,NGC & PMG Auth. Dealer
美国收藏家 – 收藏中国现代金银

EMGWORLDEWIDE@GMAIL.COM
WECHAT: LAMBORGHINICA

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
Some craziness is going on here with that seller, other sellers, and bidders.

How about paying:
"Approximately US $9,779.92"
For a set of 1987P coins in PR69?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1987-P-CHINA-PANDA-GOLD-PROOF-5-COIN-SET-PCGS-PR69-DCAM-/150575950562?pt=UK_Coins_World_RL&hash=item230f06aae2