Author Topic: Lunar Coins  (Read 10095 times)

Offline pecus

• Trade Count: (+1)
Lunar Coins
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:31:12 PM »
Although I came to the lunar series after the pandas, I have come to love the images on these coins just as much as those on the pandas.  Lunar coins offer the same or greater diversity and at least the same challenges in collecting.  I have also heard that this series is more valued among the Chinese themselves than the pandas, which is more of an "export" coin.

I'd be interested to know whether dedicated panda collectors harbor similar feelings about these great lunar coins.

Offline simpleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lunar Coins
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »
HI, i am still a beginner.... i have a question if other countries also issue any lunar coins?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:42:00 PM by simpleman »

Offline BobW

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:49:32 PM »
The Commonwealth of Australia, Canada, and the Republic of Malawi (Nyasaland) are three others that issue Lunar coins. There may be more.                        
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:52:31 PM by BobW »

alexwu

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:40:28 PM »
Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong & Macao of China all issue lunar coins.   

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:53:35 PM »
Lunars have a lot of potential, but they're so rare and unknown that it's hard to say what they'll do in the future. Nonetheless, they have appreciated in value quite a bit, on par with the pandas. They're just very hard to buy and sell because they're so rare. There's no easy search terms for them on ebay, other than "lunar", which many sellers don't know to use.

Offline pecus

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »
Where do members look for 5 oz and 12 oz silver lunar coins, especially difficult ones to find, such as the snake and pig coins?

alexwu

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »
Where do members look for 5 oz and 12 oz silver lunar coins, especially difficult ones to find, such as the snake and pig coins?

1. Ebay U.S, U.K.
2. Major coin shows, such as Heritage CA or NY World Coin Shows, Beijing or Hong Kong Coin & Stamps Conventions.
3. Coin dealers in China.  If you have reliable oversea contacts, you can simply tell them what you are looking for. 

:001_smile:

Offline pecus

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:32:53 PM »

1. Ebay U.S, U.K.
2. Major coin shows, such as Heritage CA or NY World Coin Shows, Beijing or Hong Kong Coin & Stamps Conventions.
3. Coin dealers in China.  If you have reliable oversea contacts, you can simply tell them what you are looking for. 

Alexwu:

Thanks.  Do the Beijing or Hong Kong Coin conventions have websites or some kind of internet bidding site?

Pecus

alexwu

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »

<quote>
Alexwu:

Thanks.  Do the Beijing or Hong Kong Coin conventions have websites or some kind of internet bidding site?

Pecus

[/quote]

As I know, both conventions don't have websites or online bidding sites.   :(

Offline pecus

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »
Anyone know where one can find a 1995 5 oz silver lunar pig coin for purchase?

Offline PatrickJ

• New
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 06:56:56 PM »
I have 5oz Chinese silver (50 yuan) lunar coins from 1987 through 1998 w/ COA and am having difficulty finding values for the 1992-98 coins. I have found some comparables for the 1987-1989 coins on eBay, but have found no other resources. I was hoping for some help!

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • China Mint
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »
I have 5oz Chinese silver (50 yuan) lunar coins from 1987 through 1998 w/ COA and am having difficulty finding values for the 1992-98 coins. I have found some comparables for the 1987-1989 coins on eBay, but have found no other resources. I was hoping for some help!

Hi, the completed 87-98 5oz Proof silver lunar coin set is worth around 8k. 
Here are some latest price that I found out: 93 rooster $550; 94 dog $500; 97 ox $500; 96 rat $500
The Snake is the key, which worth 2k+ alone.

Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.
China Mint | Online Store

Offline happycoins

• New
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 11:47:38 AM »
Hi, I am a new member. I notice that your guys are quite expert in the lunar animal coins. 

I have the 5oz and 12 oz silver lunar year of monkey coins (1992) and 5oz silver lunar year of pig coin(1995). The coins have no certificates or boxes, but still being kept in the original plastic case. Just wondering whether your guys have the updated information on the price for these coins. Moreover, I'm wondering where I could buy the 12oz silver lunar year of pig, and what is the current price in China.

Best regards

happycoins

Offline pecus

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »
The 5 oz pig is going for around $1500-$1600 with coa and box.  I've only seen 1 12 oz pig offered and that was at $8500!!

I'd like to know what is so different about these silver pig lunars?  They're becoming even more expensive and difficult to find than the snakes.

Offline happycoins

• New
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 06:36:02 AM »
Hi Pecas,

Thank you very much for the info. Personally, I believe that if a big country like China or USA produces a very low mintage like these lunar coins, the demand would certainly be very high, and so does the price. Moreover, the price could even be more higher if some serious investors are keeping buying a particular coin.           

Any ideas for the current market data for my 5oz and 12oz monkey coins (without box or COA)?

Best wishes from Bangkok, Thailand.

happycoins

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 08:23:16 AM »
Could someone give me an updated information on the lunar coins market in China? I heard that the price has gone up a lot last month.

By the way, I will be in Beijing tommorow till next Monday. Any idea on the coin stores that I could find some good world coins, especially Thai coins,

Happycoins II   

Offline pecus

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
It would be very helpful if you could bring back real sales data about current lunar, panda and unicorn coins--there is so much discussion now about what these coins are really selling for in China.