Author Topic: New site ModernChinaCoins.com  (Read 6709 times)

Offline dooney

• Trade Count: (0)
New site ModernChinaCoins.com
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »

I just wanted to let others who are interested in modern Chinese coins that I have devoted a web site to this.

I would appreciate any feedback and comments.

Anyone with info on Patterns and trial strikes, please let me know as information on these is hard to come by.

Thanks!

Harold Gregg
http://ModernChinaCoins.com

Offline ?

Re: New site ModernChinaCoins.com
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:15:23 AM »
good work, Gregg :thumbup1: always valuable, if information is shared and spread in the internet. :thumbup:
One comment though. I would be reluctant to give prices, e.g. a Lunar rat 1984 gold may well sell above 950 $ if not to say well above 5,000 $ ;)

greetz anwir

Offline Coinex

• ChineseCoins.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:26:27 AM »
Yes, very good work Gregg.. Nice layout. I agree with Anwir that giving prices may be misleading (to the up and downside)... things can change quickly and even a guide price is often misleading especially for items under 2000 in mintage.

Nice personal site as well, you've been involved in some interesting projects!!

Offline dooney

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »
Anwir and Pandaman,

Yes, I see your point. Thank you for the suggestion. I will start to phase out the coin values on the site.  In a fast moving market, these would be time-consuming for me to manage anyway.

Harold

Offline chinesecoinworks

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:11:37 PM »
Anwir and Pandaman,

Yes, I see your point. Thank you for the suggestion. I will start to phase out the coin values on the site.  In a fast moving market, these would be time-consuming for me to manage anyway.

Harold

However, it would be good if you can include the Issue Price  :001_cool:

Offline dooney

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »
Chinesecoinworks,

Good idea, but I have not seen a listing of the issue prices. I know that Krause lists a very few issue prices, but that is the only source that I know of.

Harold

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 01:43:12 AM »
Congratulation, Harold, excellent job.

With respect to “Fen Varieties”, your observation is correct. There are significant differences between Fens minted by Shanghai and Shenyang. Most Fens are produced at Shanghai, except 1984, 1985 and 1986 proof sets. Actually, 1984 is the only year that proof set are produced by both Mints. IMO, 1984 proof set is significant undervalue, since most collectors do not know the existence of two different versions.
IMO, 1983 and 1985 Mint sets do not exist. I bought these “so call” Mints sets about three years ago. The graphic and printing of outer paper boxes shown double imaging and the coins inside were not as good as my other mint sets. They are definitely counterfeit boxes with UNC coins.

The mintage of proof and pattern 1 and 5 Yuan commemoratives (alloy coins) from 1984 to 2007 was published in a 2008 book (Zhong Guo Pu Tong Ji Nian Bi Zhen Pin Tu Lu, ISBN 987-200-07500-7). Unfortunately, I cannot find the website link for this book.

Offline dooney

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »
Poconopenn,

I would be very interested in that book, if you ever find the web site. I have searched for it various ways on Google with no luck.

Is it your observation also that what I call Type 1 is from Shanghai and Type 2 is from Shenjen?

The Fens and their varieties are fascinating. I will be doing some more research on them at the BJ Coin show later this year.

Harold

kesheng

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Hi Gregg,

Nice to see such a well-organized web site about China Modern Coin. Thanks a lot! I am doing similar research at Hong Kong too. Some updates for your info:

The book for "Fen" may be you can bought at the Beijing show - the editor is Mr. Sun, his mobile number is 13901071617. Maybe you can even got his signature when you buy the book.

http://modernchinacoins.com/modernchinacoins/MARCO_POLO.html
For this page, 1st entry for 1983 5oz Gold coin - there is no such coin at that time but some catalogs may have placed the 1993 5oz Gold wrongly to 1983.

If you like to exchange more, you can reach me at ivan278@gmail.com any time. Cheers!

Ivan
2009-9-3

Offline dooney

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 02:36:41 AM »

IMO, 1983 and 1985 Mint sets do not exist. I bought these “so call” Mints sets about three years ago. The graphic and printing of outer paper boxes shown double imaging and the coins inside were not as good as my other mint sets. They are definitely counterfeit boxes with UNC coins.

The mintage of proof and pattern 1 and 5 Yuan commemoratives (alloy coins) from 1984 to 2007 was published in a 2008 book (Zhong Guo Pu Tong Ji Nian Bi Zhen Pin Tu Lu, ISBN 987-200-07500-7). Unfortunately, I cannot find the website link for this book.

There is a 1983 set on ebay now which is clearly a Mint set in a proof set case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180447516978&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Also, thanks for the info on the book. I found it in China and it is an excellent and comprehensive book.

Harold

Offline badon

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:28:30 PM »
The site is down, and has a message that "MobileMe is closed".

Offline wyldkatt

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
Site works fine badon.

Maybe you have a different address.

Harold's site is his 'signature' at the bottom of his posts.

http://pandaanalytics.com/searchdb.html

Some of our forum members might remember when I introduced
Harold's website, a while back.

November of 2011, I think it was.

Here's the thread;
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4419.0

Harold's a great guy, and has put in a lot of hours of research, into his site.

Glad to see him here and posting.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »
Awesome sight and herculean effort dooney !

I was scanning around it and found the information on the fake 25th Anniversary Panda Sets ... I have not seen this information before. This was only one of the very interesting things I found on your site.

Thumbs up bud !!!  :thumbup: