Author Topic: 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war and wealth varieties discovered by reiboy of CCF  (Read 51020 times)

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
I meant the 99 gold SD,LD no serif, LD serif... 

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
I really need 69s. I got clear and clouded claws in raw. Lets see how they grade.

Whoever got that super in 69, luckiest man!!

69's are being hoarded from the market. Coins are getting harder to find in a 69 grade because when it comes time to sell, people aren't selling their 69's. As our numbers show for the god of war & wealth, they are very, very, very rare in 69 grade, especially the clouded and super clouded varieties.

Offline badon

I can't believe I forgot to mention losses to melting! That's important - we don't know how many of these were melted. They are big, heavy hunks of silver that were nearly worthless until this year. They had been ignored even as other coins were making huge gains, so I suspect a significant fraction of them were melted.

That means the already very low mintage and population estimates are actually lower due to losses from melting (and damage, which isn't accounted-for either).

Offline badon

I added a note to my latest calculations that mentions that the estimates are probably too high, because coins were lost to melting and damage.

Offline badon

PandaOrLunar, do you have any updated statistics for us?

I noticed that an ungraded clouded claw coin sold for $1395, and after that one sold, another one got grabbed that was listed for $1199. Since that coin so far looks to be as rare as the super clouded, according to our numbers, I think our numbers need updating. I don't think it's really as rare as the super clouded. The price is definitely going up though.

Offline Grip

• Supporter
 For a rare issue coin (even with 3 types) I'm seeing these things in all varieties flood the market of late. I realize the ebb and flow and discovery process, but if these are that rare, how do the dealers have so many to unload at the same time!! You would think they would release them gradually as prices move up. I think the 87 3.3 tael  God of Longevity is truly more rare as you do not see these often, and the last PF69 went out over 2300.00 on heavy biding. The only one currently listed for sale is a raw coin being sold by kirin. He keeps increasing the price every day and is currently asking 2995.00.    
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230592372760&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:17:07 PM by Grip »

Offline Grip

• Supporter
Also, we have to consider a coins eye appeal as well as rarity. The God of War/Wealth is an angry looking man. The God of Longevity is pleasing to the eye and reminds us of a caring overseer. The coins share the same shield surrounded by the Dragon (King) and Phoenix (Queen)...

Offline PandaOrLunar

PandaOrLunar, do you have any updated statistics for us?

I noticed that an ungraded clouded claw coin sold for $1395, and after that one sold, another one got grabbed that was listed for $1199. Since that coin so far looks to be as rare as the super clouded, according to our numbers, I think our numbers need updating. I don't think it's really as rare as the super clouded. The price is definitely going up though.

No, I do not have any updates.  My daytime job is working me overtime.

Offline badon

For a rare issue coin (even with 3 types) I'm seeing these things in all varieties flood the market of late. I realize the ebb and flow and discovery process, but if these are that rare, how do the dealers have so many to unload at the same time!! You would think they would release them gradually as prices move up.

Did you forget about the 50 coin hoard? It takes a while to sell those, especially after prices have risen. Also, I'm pretty sure you're not seeing the super clouded claw flood the market. There are very few of those that have appeared.

I just checked with some people who own portions of the 50 coin hoard, and there are still 30 coins that have not been brought to the market yet. That means that only 20 of them are available to the market now, or have been recently. I have not seen that many coins sell yet, so I'm pretty sure we're still working through that initial 20 coins.

It's one reason why I think they're such a good investment - most people are thinking exactly like you are, and not really understanding that this plentiful supply is a gift from the gods (the Chinese ones), and it won't last - not at these prices.

I think the 87 3.3 tael  God of Longevity is truly more rare as you do not see these often, and the last PF69 went out over 2300.00 on heavy biding. The only one currently listed for sale is a raw coin being sold by kirin. He keeps increasing the price every day and is currently asking 2995.00.   
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230592372760&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The 1987 god of longevity has a lower mintage. It is around 1300 to 1500, if I remember correctly. I do not think an ungraded specimen is worth $3k, but then again, this coin is quite rare. The reason why I don't talk about it as much is because it's not underpriced like the god of war and wealth is. It's rare, and it's expensive, just like it should be.

Also, we have to consider a coins eye appeal as well as rarity. The God of War/Wealth is an angry looking man. The God of Longevity is pleasing to the eye and reminds us of a caring overseer. The coins share the same shield surrounded by the Dragon (King) and Phoenix (Queen)...

The god of longevity is a masterpiece of art. No argument there! The god of war and wealth is kind of a macho symbol that everybody loves. I'm not sure either is better. Young people prefer the god of war and wealth. Old people prefer the god of longevity. Both represent people's hopes, at different times in their lives. You really need to have both, in my opinion :)

Offline badon

Are you keeping track of the data? If not, maybe you can provide sources for the data you already have, and then we can start tracking new data here, without double counting the ones you've already counted.

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
Maybe you need to consider a job that's more fun and requires no overtime? Does coin dealing sound more appealing? Ha ha :)

Offline badon

Two of the super clouded claw have hit the market and been sold very quickly - probably within minutes in both cases. The first one sold for $2100, the second sold for $2150. Both were probably underpriced by $1000 or more. I think the coin could earn a much higher price.

Offline PandaOrLunar

Are you keeping track of the data? If not, maybe you can provide sources for the data you already have, and then we can start tracking new data here, without double counting the ones you've already counted.

There is no secret sources.  I watch online auctions and sites.  Friends email me information.  Once I get a NGC number, I search that certification number in the NGC database manually starting at 001 until end of the sequence.

Something smell here.  Take a look at this same NGC 3452783-010.

http://www.rarecoincollector.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=5841
* According to their "mix" pictures and description, it is a Super.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=3452783-010
* According to NGC pictures, it is a Clear.

Offline badon

Oh yes, I know you're getting your info from public sources. I just don't want to count the same coin twice.

Offline Pandaguy

That Rarecoincollector seller used a different reverse side in their photo. I have been telling you in my recent posts about this sellers questionable activitities and VERY poor customer service as I have experienced first-hand. SEE MY POST ENTITLED Bad Experience With Rarecoincollector Online Store

Buyer beware!!!!