Author Topic: 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war and wealth varieties discovered by reiboy of CCF  (Read 46925 times)

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Thanks for doing that. It looks like they are responding quickly.

Yes, they have responded quickly to recognize varieties, and also have increased prices for the new varieties :-)

Offline badon

I noticed the price increases. That's good for everybody that bought these coins immediately once the news came out that there were varieties. Prices seem to be holding strong too, because the coins are selling even at the higher prices.

Since the mintage estimates that PandaOrLunar has come up with show that all varieties are very rare, even without factoring the possibility that large numbers of them were melted, I think prices will go much higher than they are now. It will be fun to watch, even if I can't buy very many of them.

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
I hope prices do not go very high before I get a chance to buy a super clouded claw :-)

Offline Pandaguy

Well, you can blame it on the individual(s) who tipped-off the dealers................  >:(

Offline badon

It was inevitable, I suppose. I tend to keep things to myself, or just amongst us here and at LBC. If anybody else wants to know, they can humbly read our research :)

Offline PandaOrLunar

Agreed.  What happens in CCF stays in CCF :laugh:

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
Has anyone sent one or more silver God of Wealth medals to NGC for grading, requesting recognition of the variety? 

I presently have one medal which was submitted to NCS at the ANA show in Sacramento.  I do not know if it is one of the three recognized varieties or something else.  I certainly did not ask for variety recognition.  Should I do so now?  Has NGC recognized these varieties? 

Recently, NCS conserved and NGC authenticated, graded and slabbed a God of Wealth medal for me without variety recognition.  Should this be resubmitted to them to correct the label? 

Underbidder

it has been started- JonSoldIt has revised an ebay listing to call  one "Clouded Claw"

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
it has been started- JonSoldIt has revised an ebay listing to call  one "Clouded Claw"

...and he changed the price from 1049 BIN to 1199 BIN/BO too :-)

Last sold prices in investment grade:

Clear Claw pf69 - 1600
Clouded Claw pf69 - 1750
Super Clouded Claw pf68 - 1850

Offline badon

Has anyone sent one or more silver God of Wealth medals to NGC for grading, requesting recognition of the variety?  

Recently, NCS conserved and NGC authenticated, graded and slabbed a God of Wealth medal for me without variety recognition.  Should this be resubmitted to them to correct the label?  

I am working on getting recognition now. I'm going to be mentioning some things about NGC variety recognition in my next article, which will hopefully be published today. As far as resubmitting, I think that would add value to your coins, and since it's not expensive, it would probably be worth it.

It seems like things are going like this:

1. variety discovery
2. attentive readers push prices up immediately, and clean out the market
3. dealers start noticing, and they begin buying up coins, so prices go up again
4. the rest of the buyers in the market are made aware by the dealer marketing, prices rise
5. writers recognize the variety in publications like the pricepedia, krause catalog, etc, and prices rise
6. NGC recognizes variety, everyone knows about the variety because it's attached to the coin, prices rise faster than in all the previous steps

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
...and he changed the price from 1049 BIN to 1199 BIN/BO too :-)

Clear Claw pf69 - 1600
Clouded Claw pf69 - 1750
Super Clouded Claw pf68 - 1850

Updated:

Clear Claw pf69 - 1600
Clouded Claw pf69 - 1750
Super Clouded Claw pf68 - 1900

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:24:04 PM by Pandora »

Offline PandaOrLunar

Updated:

Clear Claw pf69 - 1600
Clouded Claw pf69 - 1750
Super Clouded Claw pf68 - 1900

Is 68 considered an "investment grade"?

Offline badon

For such a rare coin, yes. The price gains have proven that, too.

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Great work guys! Wonder if there are variants in the 87 God of Longevity Medal....

Offline badon

I have actually been researching that. Nothing to report so far for the god of longevity.