Author Topic: 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war and wealth varieties discovered by reiboy of CCF  (Read 54360 times)

Offline catfury

• Trade Count: (0)
The only one "Raised" writing version I found that is being auctioned (in china at the moment, starting price 1100 US dollars)..
see the picture.. notice the red text in the middle?  I bet some of you are familiar with it ..

Underbidder

Buzz kill.

For crying out loud, fellas, have any of you counted how many these are up for auction currently, and have been sold the past few months?
Has it not hit you yet that something is maybe off ?  How about when NGC finally grades the 4,000th one? At this rate...
How can this be called a scarce coin by almost any definition now? Ya, I heard, a hoard, all 2000 musta been released this year... Ya.. :confused1:
Seriously?

Offline badon

The Second version does look like poorly struck. Catfury, how old was the post you discovered? If it was years ago, chances of fake are small...

That is the common wisdom, but is not always true. The best fakes I've ever seen were of the pagoda temple medals. I don't know when the fakes were made, but I've heard of them being anywhere from the 1990's to about 4 years ago, at the newest. At any of those times, the pagoda medals were almost worthless, aside from their silver value. You could have bought them for under $200 per set, and that was enough to make it worth the counterfeiters time to make very high quality fakes.

The version of this god of war & wealth that I think is fake appears to be using different techniques in die and planchet preparation, which bolsters my belief that it is fake. Also, I've never seen a low quality pattern before. They're usually made with just as much skill as the normal coins.

And, since the reverse mirror fake/variety was discovered in 2008, that does put it right around the time the some of the pagoda fakes were originally purchased. 2008 was a big year for fakes, because that's when the Chinese coin market began as we know it.

Offline badon

The only one "Raised" writing version I found that is being auctioned (in china at the moment, starting price 1100 US dollars)..
see the picture.. notice the red text in the middle?  I bet some of you are familiar with it ..

That is not the correct packaging. Also, the rims of the coins at the bottom seem to have been done correctly on that specimen. Xu Hong deals with so many coins, often before it's known for sure what they are. I have seen plenty of good fakes fool honest dealers and collectors, so I'm still strongly suspicious that the coin is fake, regardless of the source. Seeing an "improved" version pretty much guarantees it's fake, and not a pattern or any other kind of test piece.

I give it a 5% chance of being genuine now.

Underbidder

I like the fake one... Looks better made.  Wait, which one's the fake one again?  :confused1:

Offline badon

Buzz kill.

For crying out loud, fellas, have any of you counted how many these are up for auction currently, and have been sold the past few months?
Has it not hit you yet that something is maybe off ?  How about when NGC finally grades the 4,000th one? At this rate...
How can this be called a scarce coin by almost any definition now? Ya, I heard, a hoard, all 2000 musta been released this year... Ya.. :confused1:
Seriously?

This has happened before. I remember the good old days when you could buy 1995 1 oz gold proof pandas for just a little over the gold value. Good supply does not necessarily mean anything other than opportunity to buy.

Offline badon

I take that back about the other one being an improved version. It looks the same to me. The photo isn't quite good enough to see that immediately.

Underbidder

So I'm confused again, is this then good or bad news for the restrike/ fake industry?  :confused1:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:05:44 AM by Underbidder »

Underbidder

Who do I talk to about having a special one made for me with three toes?  It's for a gift of an uncle of mine, see, who was a minesweeper during the war... :ohmy:

Offline badon

It's nothing, I still think it's fake.

Underbidder

So, Badon, let me get this right,  ... So you think the one that has a bazillion of 'em for sale on ebay lately is the real one, and the single ( rare) one for sale in China is somehow the fake?   :confused1:

:lol:

Underbidder

It's just too easy, jus ' given' ya a hard time!  :001_tongue:
Hey, the whole ebay Hoard came with nice shiny boxes and COAs, while the nicer one in China , ?

Plus the eBay hoard (which we know you stamped out in your garage) matches the 5 oz gold version way better. ( non mirror coins ). Mui Bueno!  :thumbup:

Offline badon

So, Badon, let me get this right,  ... So you think the one that has a bazillion of 'em for sale on ebay lately is the real one, and the single ( rare) one for sale in China is somehow the fake?   :confused1:

:lol:

Yes, that's right. Fakes can't dominate the market because they get noticed and weeded out very quickly. If the counterfeiter doesn't get greedy, and only puts a few out in the market, they can circulate for years without anyone realizing it is fake.

Offline badon

The 68 looks much better in photos.

Lets vote:

Within 1 month:

A. Both will sell - 68 will sell first.
B. Both will sell - 69 will sell first.
C. Only 68 will sell.
D. Only 69 will sell.

E. Neither will sell within a month ... not at asked prices anyway.
We're in our annual summer slow-down, remember?

I think they will not sell until later in the year, and then they'll sell for either higher prices, or everyone will wish they had bought them when they had the chance. Seriously.

I'd say they have equal chances of selling.

The super clouded 69 one is GONE!!!!!

Offline badon

Hello, I am a new forum user just to say Hi first.
I found a post by Chinese coin collector dated back in 2008, discussing about the varieties of God of wealth silver medal. Take some time a read it carefully... I personally believe the result is more than the clouds...

A picture is more than a thousand words... can you see the difference found by Chinese people ? they called it "First Version" and "Second Version".. 

Hints:
1. Look at the Chinese Characters on Top of the Reverse ( it is the year in chinese, it could be the Only most important difference that separates two varieties)
2. Look at the Chinese Characters(font type used) in rounded circles (the circle itself is different)
3. there is actually more pictures I found but I think it is enough

Thanks for reading.. See you all soon..

Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum, it's good to have you! Thank you for bringing us your research into this topic, it is very helpful.