Author Topic: 1989 3.3 oz silver god of war and wealth varieties discovered by reiboy of CCF  (Read 54916 times)

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Here is the third one...This one shows the NGC Cert #

Offline badon

It must be that the seller used a photo from different coins for the front and back. It still hasn't been established for certain yet which variety is rarer. Of course, it's possible they're equal in rarity. We just don't know for sure yet. I have good reasons to believe the clouded claw is rarer, but those reasons aren't verified, and they could easily be skewed by quirks in the source of the hoard of coins that's putting these on the market.

Also, I increased the file size limit so you can upload images larger than 8 MB.

Offline badon

These have been listed in Buy-It-Now listings for the old price of around $900. Needless to say, they didn't last long, and the seller has increased the price a little. I think they're still underpriced. The seller probably hasn't noticed what's going on with these yet.

Offline badon

Now, prices are up to $1875 for UNGRADED Buy-It-Now coins. Wow!

Offline Pandaguy

SORRY FOLKS, but I have a THIRD variety in my possession. It is similar to Badon's posted photo of clouded claw, however it is a Super Clouded Claw. My camera just broke, so I can't post a photo of it now. However, I have copied Badon's Clouded claw and boxed-in where the additional frosting is located. Take a look.

Offline badon

So, now we have to find THREE coins out of a miniscule mintage of 2000 to 2500 coins before we've got a complete set? Price pressure is going to be quite a bit stronger now.

If all three varieties have the same mintage, then that means there's only about 800 of each variety. If some varieties are rarer than others, which is likely, then whatever the rarest variety turns out to be, it probably has a mintage of less than 800.

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
I wonder what will the clouded and super clouded varieties be worth today...

Are there any steps we need to take to have NGC recognize them?

Offline badon

The last clouded claw variety I saw sold in a 68 grade for $1850.

Offline Pandaguy

Okay. I finally was able to photograph my "super clouded claw". Now, we can add one more to the known population.

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
Congrats Pandaguy! This is a fantastic coin!! it seems to be graded. Can you share what is the grade?

Offline PandaOrLunar

Is the claw area the only difference between the 3 varieties?  Has anyone done a close up examination of both sides to see if there are any other difference?  Sometime we are so focus on a particular tree, we might miss the forest.

Offline badon

There are other differences, but I prefer to not share them for the moment so that I will be able to identify fakes if they ever appear on the market. By not sharing all the details, the counterfeiters will probably make a mistake that will show that their coin is fake.

Offline PandaOrLunar

Offline reiboy

Offline badon

Beautiful coins, all genuine.