Author Topic: North Korean 999 Silver Coins  (Read 14848 times)

Offline Quo_Vadis

• Trade Count: (0)
North Korean 999 Silver Coins
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »
Over the last couple of months, I have acquired 4 North Korean 999 Silver Coins (2 rectangular and 2 normal coin shaped). Coins from this closed and rather secretive Country, seem to be somewhat rare to acquire; especially in 999 Silver. I am hoping that FAKES are not as prolific as they are in certain areas of the Chinese Coin market. Does anybody else collect, or have knowledge of, North Korean Coins.

Offline badon

Re: North Korean 999 Silver Coins
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
I have ignored them. Firstly, by buying them, you support a murderous army of brutal wild animals, and quite possibly funding a nuclear World War 3. Secondly, North Korea is capitalizing on it's secretiveness by letting things like this out for foreign buyers. North Korea could increase the mintage anytime they want to, and you can bet they will if they need to hire more torturers. I'd stay away from North Korea for many reasons, both moral, and collector/investor reasons.

Offline Quo_Vadis

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »
Point Taken............Although I do believe the Chinese have had a very questionable record on Human Rights and these boards are totally donated to the collecting of their coins. :(

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »
Actually, I collect Chinese coins because their human rights record is better than my home country's. Westerners just don't hear about it as much. Some Eastern country does something nasty, and the West makes a big deal out of it to make themselves look good, while the West does far more, on an incomparable scale that defies description - even when comparing to such a large country as China.

They all do bad things. North Korea does what it does for the purpose of selfish greed. China does what it does to maintain order and prosperity. The West does what it does for the purpose of selfish greed. No wonder then, that China is the most prosperous of them all, since its motives are the least malicious.

Despite the lies, truth has a way of becoming distilled into refined, pure, consequences. The West is collapsing for a reason, and China is rising for a reason. It's not accident, it's not a "cycle", it's quite simply that one is less evil than the other, and they're both reaping what they've sown, for better or worse.

The horrors America inflicts on its people are beyond description. A country can't imprison a third of its working population, and routinely murder, cripple, or traumatize countless numbers of them, without causing an economic collapse. No wonder then, that the economy is collapsing.

I predicted the economic collapse years before it happened. People can remain in denial for as long as the want, but the truth can't be ignored, suppressed, contained, or eliminated. The results speak for themselves. Countries waist-deep in money don't collapse because everything is rosy - they collapse because something is wrong.

That's why I don't collect American or any other Western coins anymore, in addition to excluding North Korea...

Offline Quo_Vadis

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »
In my experience of life and of travelling the World,I have found the VAST Majority of Human Beings have "Morals of Convenience" to a greater or lesser degree................and "The End Justifies the Means" seems to be their Philosophy.

Offline Quo_Vadis

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »
Power Corrupts............Absolute Power Corrupts ABSOLUTELY!!.........................Out of the mist of Chaos came order and it's name was Death!!

Offline bekiz

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »
I don't care about politics, because if I did I'd collect coins from ancient times ... all countries are guilty of something: China for Tibet, US for Iraq, Russia for Georgia, etc etc etc. I don't give a damn what politicians in all these countries do because I consider it's stupid to differentiate crimes and have collection choice based on number of people who are suffering in these countries. I consider it dubious to collect the coins of countries where all is good and shiny ... well, it's just lyrics ...

As of North Korean coins several years ago I've acquired 5 won 2003 silver coin with 999 mark depicting "Turtle ship" ...
Today I acquired some coins from their Lunar series which are very good. Will post the pictures  later.

Offline Straitssettlementshop

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 07:40:43 AM »
Jim Rogers thinks otherwise and he collect them also. Usually North Korean coins mintages are only in the hundreds and consider rare. It has the same commemorative issues like the chinese coins such as the Buddha or other Chinese gods issues. Lately its design are quite beautiful perhaps with the improvement of minting technology.

Bekiz, may I know where do buy North Korean gold and silver coins ? Looking forward for your pics.

Thank You.
SSS

Offline bekiz

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »
That's my latest addition ... that just made my North Korean collection 12 times bigger from 1 to 13
link to the gallery http://postimg.org/gallery/48ei5wmo/
too much to upload

Offline Straitssettlementshop

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »
Bekiz,

Such a nice North Korean collection you have there. I'm sure they are extremely hard to find.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline bekiz

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »
here's the gold set http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/172679971
1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/10 oz coins
was sold for 602,000 yen
I'm sure non-Japan bidder won the item.

P.S. haven't thought there would be that much interest in this gold set

Offline lex1705

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 11:31:40 AM »
I'm collecting North Korean commemorative silver coins with policies. Does anyone have it?

Offline lex1705

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
I'll post some of my.

Offline lex1705

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Awesome collection of The DPRK coins with politicians! Congratulations!

Take care with the moisture from your hands in handling those, however.
I have tainted a Chinese silver coin when my hand moisture got into the capsule.
It left whitish marks that did not conserve out.

I have a Blue Dragon 10 Won silver and consider it to be one of the most beautiful DPRK coins.

Offline lex1705

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 07:15:33 AM »
Awesome collection of The DPRK coins with politicians! Congratulations!

Take care with the moisture from your hands in handling those, however.
I have tainted a Chinese silver coin when my hand moisture got into the capsule.
It left whitish marks that did not conserve out.

I have a Blue Dragon 10 Won silver and consider it to be one of the most beautiful DPRK coins.
Thank you!
Next month I'll make a new video of new coins in my collection.
Some of my coins I've bought with whitish marks already,but I'm buying good quality capsules,they close better,than cheap capsules.
A Blue Dragon 10 Won is a beutiful coin,some day I'll buy it too;)But I actually don't have a favorite coin of DPRK,there are much more coins than a one,that I like.I like some not typical coins,as these with maps or with an arch and a soldier(not my coin).

Offline lex1705

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
 :001_smile:

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 07:38:32 AM »
There are more collectors behind the scenes of N Korean coins.      Jim Rodgers was the first to post about collecting them that i know of.     Nice coins.    Do not see them on ebay anymore.......