Author Topic: 2001"D" Silver Panda-A Sleeper??  (Read 140422 times)

Offline silverstar1

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: 2001"D" Silver Panda-A Sleeper??
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
God does know how many Joemann has ,  ... It is funny that the only people that seem optimistic and happy on this new groundbreaking variety are people that have them..Wishing everyone the best. :thumbup:

Offline shibaji

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2012, 11:06:56 PM »
Looks like the taobao one is large D.

Offline silverstar1

« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »
Yeah it is hard to tell from the pictures , at this point I think you would have to verify from the source that these are indeed the 2001 d small D variety when placing an order.

Offline silverstar1

« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »
I just have to say, Hats off !!! to the professional people at NGC/NCS for their discovery of this new Panda variety that has been lurking in the shadows..... N34

Offline Batman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »
Please no one bite my head off:) if you compare this coin to the 2003 mirror  you saw them popping up all over e bay shortly (within hours) of the news coming out....... this coin so far 2 ,for whatever that is worth ....................

I applaud your irrational exuberance regarding the 2001 small D.  Regarding the 2003 mirror, this variety was first discovered back in December 2010 and publicized on LBC, not sure if it made its way to CCF back then.  

At that time no one paid attention, which frankly was good news for the astute collector/investor.  And it was a good time to estimate popluations before everyone started sifting thru their 2003 pandas.  I estimated time and time again that the population available for sale on ebay was always less than 10% of the frosted pandas and actually closer to 5%.  Whether that is 5 or 10% of actual or estimated populations is anyone's guess.  Pricing for the 2003 mirror remained consistent with the frosted version for over a year.  I even checked with a couple of dealers in China and asked if they had 2003 pandas in the Shanghai wrappers, and they said they had never seen one.

Once the version was picked up by both NGC and PCGS, people started to recognize the distinction and started paying higher prices as they were doing their own math regarding availability.  Since then more have come to market, but I believe this to be only a temporary surge, similar to what Sandac was referring to.  Regarding the 2001 small D, you have to keep in mind that "D"'s either in silver or gold just do not appear that popular in China (they may be a sleeper, but if not one wakes the giant, they are just stuck in a coma for a very long time).  This is not to say they may have small populations, but just not that popular.  

Point being, as far as pricing, I would equate the small D to the mirror panda.  Currently mirror pandas sell for around $350 - $400 for a 69 grade, which I think is fair until more information is published.  If you are a new collector to panda's I would caution paying prices any higher than that as you may be dissapointed with your newly acquired variety/investment....Just my 6 cents worth  N30
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:54:46 PM by snowball »

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2012, 12:12:44 AM »
I just have to say, Hats off !!! to the professional people at NGC/NCS for their discovery of this new Panda variety that has been lurking in the shadows
Stay tuned.  There are plenty more lurking in the shadows.  I'm a "variety hound", and based on my own research with limited resources, I know there are half a dozen major varieties yet to be reveal.  We live in an exciting time.

Offline silverstar1

« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2012, 12:31:15 AM »
I applaud your irrational exuberance regarding the 2001 small D.  Regarding the 2003 mirror, this variety was first discovered back in December 2010 and publicized on LBC, not sure if it made its way to CCF back then.  

At that time no one paid attention, which frankly was good news for the astute collector/investor.  And it was a good time to estimate popluations before everyone started sifting thru their 2003 pandas.  I estimated time and time again that the population available for sale on ebay was always less than 10% of the frosted pandas and actually closer to 5%.  Whether that is 5 or 10% of actual or estimated populations is anyone's guess.  Pricing for the 2003 mirror remained consistent with the frosted version for over a year.  I even checked with a couple of dealers in China and asked if they had 2003 pandas in the Shanghai wrappers, and they said they had never seen one.

Once the version was picked up by both NGC and PCGS, people started to recognize the distinction and started paying higher prices as they were doing their own math regarding availability.  Since then more have come to market, but I believe this to be only a temporary surge, similar to what Sandac was referring to.  Regarding the 2001 small D, you have to keep in mind that "D"'s either in silver or gold just do not appear that popular in China (they may be a sleeper, but if not one wakes the giant, they are just stuck in a coma for a very long time).  This is not to say they may have small populations, but just not that popular.  

Point being, as far as pricing, I would equate the small D to the mirror panda.  Currently mirror pandas sell for around $350 - $400 for a 69 grade, which I think is fair until more information is published.  If you are a new collector to panda's I would caution paying prices any higher than that as you may be dissapointed with your newly acquired variety/investment....Just my 6 cents worth  N30
The thing is you really cant compare the 2003 mirror with the 2001 sm d they are a different animal altogether,on one to the easy eye one is a definite larger letter with different placement and another is a a surface variety. Same with the 2000 mirrored rim that is another thing altogether. I think each will have a unique place in the future.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:55:15 PM by snowball »

Offline radderlee

« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2012, 04:04:43 AM »
Right now of the 13 graded and labeled so far 8 are with Silverstar1, 1 will soon be mine and other 4 are in China...
and goodness how many you own joeman ;)

congrats silverfever!

joeman

« Reply #173 on: December 14, 2012, 06:16:50 AM »
Looks like the taobao one is large D.
  that is what I was thinking

joeman

« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »
 N30 N30
God does know how many Joemann has ,  ... It is funny that the only people that seem optimistic and happy on this new groundbreaking variety are people that have them..Wishing everyone the best. :thumbup:
  I am still on the fence as far as rarity goes, I know this the friend I received coins from ,does not have any more, and the other person I know who had some who is very honest and I consider a trusted friend also ,does not have any either, I know of no less than 3 people who are on the ground in China and have scoured Shanghai and Beijing quietly without coming up with 1 coin,that does not mean that there isnt 100, 500, or 1000 locked up in a safe somewhere in China ,Germany or somewhere else, but knowing the skills of the 2 folks with boots on the ground in 2 major coin markets in PRC ,there appears not to be any for sale there, just what I know PLEASE dont bite my head off   N30

Offline silverstar1

« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
Stay tuned.  There are plenty more lurking in the shadows.  I'm a "variety hound", and based on my own research with limited resources, I know there are half a dozen major varieties yet to be reveal.  We live in an exciting time.
I am interested in different varieties as well and I know of 2 others i have been thinking of for a while. Care to share any of these you have found? are they major difference such as this sm d , mirror rim, sm vs lg date type thing ? or minor difference such as pointed shoulder , slight fur tufts on ear ect. I would like to hear more about it.

Offline silverstar1

« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »
Anyone been able to locate any more of these 2001 small d silver pandas?? other than Joeman, and the other 2 posted here and the one that sold on ebay,  I still cant seem to find even 1 !
 I still think they are going to be very Rare.

Offline Silverfever

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »
Based on this price guide linked by the other poster, I guess here are some other varieties.

http://bbs.bqcoin.com/read-htm-tid-1967.html

1990 Small Date Frosted
1991 Small Date Frosted
1992 Large Date Frosted
1994 Small Date Frosted
1995 Small Date Frosted
1996 Small Date Frosted
1997 Small Date Frosted

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #178 on: December 14, 2012, 07:34:46 PM »
I continue to look for small D in existing NGC cert numbers and was unsuccessful.  I’m monitoring the weekly population report.  If they increase in small units of 1 or 2, then that’ll indicate collectors resubmit from their existing holdings.  If they increase in unit of 5, 10, or multiple of 10, then that’s dealer submission probably due to discovery of large hoard.  At this point, My inability to find small D in existing NGC population, and most of the known small D were in sheets of 10 suggests the small D are due to a single hoard being discovered recently and have not broken into individual coins.  That’s my working thesis, time will tell.

Offline silverstar1

« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »
Based on this price guide linked by the other poster, I guess here are some other varieties.

http://bbs.bqcoin.com/read-htm-tid-1967.html

1990 Small Date Frosted
1991 Small Date Frosted
1992 Large Date Frosted
1994 Small Date Frosted
1995 Small Date Frosted
1996 Small Date Frosted
1997 Small Date Frosted
I have seen some of these but not some of the others , if there is a frosted version wouldnt that mean there is a non frosted version? or are they just calling it frosted for kicks?