Author Topic: 2007 Gold Silver Panda Lunar Pig  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Birddog4588

• Trade Count: (0)
2007 Gold Silver Panda Lunar Pig
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:13:54 PM »
What's a 2007 bi-metal Panda 1oz gold inner and 1oz silver outer lunar pig worth in oringal mint conditon with box COA etc.  I found one and not sure what to offer.  COA indicates only 347 out of 1000 mintage. I looked it up in the Panda book and it's not a fake.

Offline Birddog4588

Re: 2007 Gold Silver Panda Lunar Pig
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
Here are the photos.  Hopefully someone can gie me and idea what it's worth since I have to make an offer today or it will be sold to someone else.  Coin looks perfect.

Offline badon

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »
That's the eternal question: "what's it worth?"

With prices moving so fast, it's hard to keep track of just one coin, let alone all of them. When making offers on rare coins, it's always prudent to offer the most you think the coin is worth. Looking for cheap bargains is often a waste of time and money. Very often, you only get crap coins, if you get anything at all.

Sometimes I get frustrated with guessing on what to offer, so I just ask move along to another coin that's got a price on it, or ask the seller to put a price on it. Sellers usually know more about their coins than buyers do anyway, and I expect a fair price from anybody I do business with. I don't expect a cheap price, just a fair price.

If I walk away feeling like I paid too much, that hurts the seller more than it hurts me. I "overpay" on purpose from time to time, because I'm not afraid to "overpay" for rare coins - but I want the seller to inform me that I'm overpaying, and by how much. I'm pretty generous for good coins, as long as I feel like I'm going to want to keep coming back to the same seller. I feel like I'm paying the seller a bonus for good information that cheapskates won't get from him.

The rule of thumb that I go by when "overpaying" is that I'll pay what the coin will be worth in 6 months to 1 year. That's kind of vague and open to interpretation, but it's what I'm comfortable with that coins.

I think you've got a good coin here, and I don't think you should be afraid to pay a top price for it.

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »
You might want to ask PandaCollector to include the coin in his Pricepedia. He's the one doing the most thorough work in tracking coin prices. Do you have a subscription? The "LBC" referral code gets a bonus list of underpriced coins.

Offline Birddog4588

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:39 PM »
I bought the coin today.  Coin is mirror finish and looks flawless.  spots are on capsule not coin

Mike

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:10:18 AM »
The following discuss in this forum should be able to provide the information you are looking for.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=1437.0

Offline badon

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
Thanks for that link poconopenn, I had forgotten about that discussion. I have to consider them fakes since they were sold fraudulently.

Offline Birddog4588

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:46:10 PM »
Wow I must be a real Newbie.  I asked what a coin is worth and get no responses.  I see it in the Panada book "an exquisite bimetalic lunar panda coin at the top of my list" 1000 mintage.  I then buy the coin and find out a day later it's a fake on the same forum.  Oddly enough, there are several pages dedicated to these fake coins but no mention (only in the errata in the back of the book on the back side) of the 1991 20oz very rare and popular piedforth Panda coin which, again nobobody responded to my "whats it worth".  I also subscribed to the PandaPedia for which does not mention these fake coins.  I'm new but feeling a bit disappointed.

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »
I'm very sorry for not responding to your posts in a timely manner. I have been preoccupied recently, otherwise I normally try to make answering questions a high priority, especially if I know the answer or some clues that can lead to the answer.

Many others here do their best to answer questions too. Unfortunately, there's probably 100 readers for every person that posts, and of those, there's even fewer that are likely to know the details about your particular situation.

About the fake coin, hopefully you bought it from a seller that values his reputation, and can accept a return. Research is ongoing for even the most popular and well known coins, so it's very possible that new facts can emerge that change the playing field dramatically, with no warning.

We try to stay on top of them, and once again, I'm very sorry your questions slipped through the cracks. It's in everyone's best interest to look out for each other, and especially the newcomers. We love our coins, and it pains us to see anyone have a bad experience with them. That's why the owner of this site set this forum up at his own expense, and he continues to fund it out of his own pocket, while many experts supply info and answer questions as often as they have the time.

I personally feel responsible for not finding your question in time to prevent this misfortune. I am very sorry, I will try to spend a bit more time each night answering questions so hopefully I can find the critical ones and answer them ASAP.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 12:49:12 AM »
The additional information about the origin of these bimetallic sets arrived after the book was published, so it's not included in the first edition.  As I have said before, I am not happy with the language on the COA. If you read the first paragraph as applying solely to the gold Panda coin it is technically correct. Its placement and context make the text deceptive.

Even so, I am not calling these bimetallic coins fakes because the bulk of their worth comes from the genuine gold Pandas incorporated into them. Frankly, it's not clear to me what these coins are worth or how much they will be worth in the future. There is definitely a market for them at this time and, as several people have pointed out, they are quite lovely. I've seen sets sell for above $4,000. Single coins trade infrequently. Ultimately collectors are free to collect and pay for anything that appeals to them. I frankly doubt that the numismatic community will shun these sets any time soon because of their aesthetic qualities.

As for the 1991 silver piedfort coin, it is pictured and described in the main section of the book. There is a typo regarding its weight, though, so the listing is repeated on the error sheet with the correct information. While I wish the first listing (and the entire book) was perfect it's not unusual to have a handful of typos and errors in a 208 page first printing, especially in a book that is filled with facts and figures. As for what this Anniversary coin is worth, take a look at the latest Pricepedia — you will find not only a dealer ask price but also auction prices and even a price for the COA.

Feel free to email me; questions and/or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 07:44:06 AM »
Birddog4588,

I have a 2007 Lunar Pig set, and the pieces are lovely.  My (newbie) perspective, with due respect to this site's authorities, is to buy what you like.  I look at my set as a cool way to purchase 1.85 ounces of gold (a sound investment as our US national debt continues to increase by trillions).  Furthermore, a few strong auction results over the past few months suggest that collectors just might have a secret love for these gems with naughty paperwork.

A China mint purist might purchase the 2011 Year of the Rabbit 5 oz Silver rectangle advertised on Panda America http://www.pandaamerica.com/details.asp?item=10317&grp=1&categ=1.  It may have a low mintage (1888?) and impeccable paperwork, but there is no way I'd pay $4995 for $150 worth of silver that may have been stamped out last month.  Indeed, it puzzles me, who is pocketing the other $4800 worth of value on these?

I think your purchase has just as much chance of increasing in value as some other "official" pieces at their current selling prices.  The added benefit is that you'll get to appreciate it's beauty on a daily basis.  Just my 2 cents...

Birdman

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »
Birddog4588,

There is nothing wrong of the coin you purchased. It is a very nicely made altered coin. The 2007 1 oz gold panda is genuine coin issued by China Mint. The outer silver ring of lunar pig should have added value. With limited edition of 1,000, this coin would be a good investment and nice collection. Enjoy it and have fun.

Welcome to the forum.

Offline badon

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »
In the end, it's popularity that rules. I've seen high prices for all kinds of strange things that aren't nearly as attractive as this pig coin that I call a "fake". I'm pretty critical though, and I do my best to encourage dealers and buyers to have the happiest dealings they can, especially when the market is young and people are just coming into it. I know what it's like to have a bad experience on the first go around, and so do many others here. I think that's why we're so motivated to help out when we can.

In any case, this topic has become quite interesting, and I'm sure it will bring many others here that are searching for information on these types of coins.

Offline Birddog4588

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
Thanks for everyones reply.  I bought the coin because of it's beauty and low mintage.  I may have overpaid but that's okay.  I do plan to put it up for trade for the same coin in Tiger, Horse, or Dragon.  No one in my family is a lunar pig.

A note for Peter Anthony....I've made more than enough money using the your Panda book to pay for this coin.  You book is great source of info but the Lunar Pandas were confusing to the Newbie.  It would be nice to add a note to your PricePedia so panda collectors kwnow about these coins.

Birddog4588

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:31:21 AM »
Your book is great source of info but the Lunar Pandas were confusing to the Newbie.  It would be nice to add a note to your PricePedia so panda collectors know about these coins.

Birddog4588

Excellent idea, consider it done.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com