Author Topic: Central China Mint Panda Coin Set  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Birddog4588

• Trade Count: (0)
Central China Mint Panda Coin Set
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:12:06 PM »
This is a beautiful 1994 1 & 2 ounce silver and 1/2 gold Panda set from Central Mint of China.  Any idea what they are worth.  Mintage is only 2000 for the silver coins.

Mike

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Central China Mint Panda Coin Set
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »
The Central Mint of China is in Taiwan, not the PRC.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline badon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
Interesting coins. The smaller silver coin seems to be a lot like the 1995 1 oz proof silver panda from the PRC. If the 1994 date is accurate, it looks like the PRC is copying Taiwan's designs! Unfortunately, I don't have a guess of what they're worth, but the fact that they make be the source for the design of the PRC's very valuable coins, I think that would enhance their value quite a lot, since they instantly become of interest to the much larger pool of PRC coin collectors.

Do you have photos of the other sides of the coins? This is quite interesting. They would make a nice set with the PRC coins.

PRC = People's Republic of China = the "big" China, with the big cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc.

Offline Birddog4588

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 02:10:11 PM »
Here are a few more photos.  Yes the 1 oz 1994 central china mint panda medal looka a lot like the 1995 proof panda coin.  Sure wish someone knew what they are worth.

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »
They don't appear to have a face value. That's interesting.

Offline Birddog4588

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »
COA states they are medals.  I looked up the Central China Mint in Taiwan.  It's ran under the Authority of PRC mint.  Interesting.

Offline Birddog4588

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
I have a friend in taiwan trying to research these medals. There's almost zero information.  He did say 1994 was a very very poltical year between Taiwan and China.  Also Taiwan was pretty musch forbidden to produce panda coins.  That must be why they're medals.  Also Taiwan was obvioaly trying to make a politcal statement with these medals.  Finally, the Panda looks very close to the real 1995 proof Panda.   These medals might be very valuable.  Might buy them just see how it plays out.

Birddog4588

Offline badon

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 04:22:31 PM »
Actually, I doubt they're very valuable, though they may become valuable later, especially if China and Taiwan unify someday.