Author Topic: 1995 Chinese Dinosaur Complete Set  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Dino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
1995 Chinese Dinosaur Complete Set
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
I have a complete set of the 1995 Chinese dinosaur coins. Including the 1/2oz gold and 2 27gr silver coins, the original wooden presentation box, and the 3 certificates of authenticity (1 for the gold coin, 1 each for the silver). I've seen on this site (Oct. 2010) the value for the individual dinosaur gold coin listed as about $4500. I've also seen the silver coins being sold separately but I have not seen a complete original set of these coins for sale anywhere! Would like to know members think they are worth. Thanks.

Offline badon

Re: 1995 Chinese Dinosaur Complete Set
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »
I don't value original sets as much as I do high grade coin specimens from NGC and PCGS. Complete sets do command a premium price in China. I think you would get more money for these coins if they were authenticated and graded. Make sure you get them conserved too.

I think the mintages of the coins matter more than the particulars of the set. Usually the particulars of a set that makes it special are only in the box and COA. Those do have value, but nowhere near as much value as the coins.

Offline VeryGiantPanda

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »
Dino, the set you have is indeed infrequently seen. 
At the Champion Hong Kong Dec 1,2010 auction (lot# 513), it sold for $6000 USD to an in-person bidder.
On an Ebay Oct 22,2010 auction (item# 230538803100), it sold for $5318.
Both these sets were ungraded w/ original box and certs.
It would not be unreasonable to estimate a value in this range for your set.
Regarding the original mint packaging vs. third-party graded slabbing, each route will have its positive and negative influence on the items' sell price, depending on the likely market you want to sell to.

Offline Dino

• New
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:16:59 AM »
Thanks to both badon and VeryGiantPanda for the information. I will be getting the coins authenticated and graded and most likely list them with Champion HK auction house after the Chinese New Year.

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:02:14 PM »
Sounds very good. Send them to NCS first, so they look their best and get a top grade. You can advertise that they're conserved, so people will not worry about the coins developing problems and degrading later.

Offline Dino

• New
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 02:35:14 AM »
Thanks again for the advice. Will do. And may list for sale on this site if there is any interest.