Author Topic: Wall Street Journal Article - January 8-9, 2011  (Read 2295 times)

Offline BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Wall Street Journal Article - January 8-9, 2011
« on: January 10, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »

Excerpt from the Wall Street Journal weekend edition January 8-9, 2011. Page C14.

BETS IN '11: POP, CALDER, CHINESE COINS

As the New Year gets under way,collectors around the world are sizing up their art. What do they want?

Another little-known segment of the Chinese market poised to grow this year is the trade in collectible Chinese coins. Dallas-based auctioneer Heritage Auctions says its sales of Chinese currency "exploded" last year, particularly pieces minted in the past decade that bear the lucky number eight. In April, Heritage got $138,000 for a 10,000-yuan gold coin from 2002 commemorating the Year of the Horse. Heritage President Greg Rohan says prices for collectible foreign coins range from $5,000 to $500,000.

Offline MrOrganic

• WORLDCOLLECTIBLES310
Re: Wall Street Journal Article - January 8-9, 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:47:49 PM »
Thanx interesting info
EMERGING MARKET GROUP  
195 south BEVERLY Dr. BEVERLY HILLS

Long Beach Expo
..Table #838

DECEMBER: Macau/H.K.

JANUARY: N.Y.

AUGUST: Hong Kong

GO TO my Ebay Click: http://stores.ebay.com/worldcollectibles310

EMERGING MARKET GROUP

PCGS,NGC & PMG Auth. Dealer
美国收藏家 – 收藏中国现代金银

EMGWORLDEWIDE@GMAIL.COM
WECHAT: LAMBORGHINICA

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:44:19 PM »
WSJ is a typical trailing indicator. By the time all Dick and Jane read about it on WSJ or NY Times or Money magazine, it's usually too late...5 years too late.

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:15:05 PM »
That's true, but the hard assets are different. If you noticed what happened with precious metals, they were getting coverage a few years ago, and they're still nowhere near their peak. Coins are even further from their near-term peak. It will be very exciting to watch what happens from here, now that most of us on this forum are already well-positioned.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »
WSJ is a typical trailing indicator. By the time all Dick and Jane read about it on WSJ or NY Times or Money magazine, it's usually too late...5 years too late.

A passing mention as the third item of a back page supplement is the sort of thing that heralds a much bigger rise to come rather than a peak. When coins are the lead article on Page 1 of the front section than a peak may be in sight. There's a long, long way to run before that happens, in my view.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline GuyMc

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »
When clients start asking me to put coins in their portfolio it will be time to get out. Can't tell you how many asked to put more real estate before the pop. Haven't had the coin request yet so I like that indicator.

Guy

Offline badon

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »
A passing mention as the third item of a back page supplement is the sort of thing that heralds a much bigger rise to come rather than a peak. When coins are the lead article on Page 1 of the front section than a peak may be in sight. There's a long, long way to run before that happens, in my view.

I agree. On top of that, the precious metals were front page news a couple of years ago, and they're still just getting rolling. I think this time is going to be a bit different from everything people are expecting from recent past experience. The precious metals and coins are going to continue going strong for a very long time.