Author Topic: Panda Pricepedia 20 Index  (Read 22066 times)

Offline pandaccumulator

• Trade Count: (+5)
Re: Panda Pricepedia 20 Index
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
I haven't seen any updated "20 Index" for over a year, I wonder why this was stopped for so long? I think this question was raised by other forum members a few times last year. If you follow this market closely, I think majority of you would agree that it has been in a down trend  since the summer of 2011, any educated guess on what percentage we are down so far since then? N13

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »
What are the underlying coins in the index Peter?

This list of the 20 coins in the Index was published in February 2011. Here it is again:

1984 Hong Kong Silver medal
1985 Hong Kong Silver medal
1986 New York ANA 5 oz. Silver medal
1987 New York Expo Gold medal
1988 Hong Kong Medal
1988 Basel Gold medal
1989 100 Yuan Platinum
1989 50 Yuan Palladium
1989 Hong Kong Gold medal
1990 Hong Kong Bimetallic Set
1990 100 Yuan Platinum
1991 Munich 1⁄2 Gold medal
1993 10 Yuan Platinum
1995 50 Yuan Gold
1996 50 Yuan Gold
1995 100 Yuan gold Proof
1997 Munich 1 oz. Silver medal
1997 5 Yuan Platinum
1998 50 Yuan Small Date Gold
1999 50 Yuan Large Date with Serif 1

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

P.S. There was a very high price paid for a MS-70 1997 5 Yuan platinum Panda. MS-70 or PF-70 coins are NOT part of this Index, as their values are both volatile, and imo not good predictors for the prices of most coins.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
I haven't seen any updated "20 Index" for over a year, I wonder why this was stopped for so long? I think this question was raised by other forum members a few times last year. If you follow this market closely, I think majority of you would agree that it has been in a down trend  since the summer of 2011, any educated guess on what percentage we are down so far since then? N13

I will update the Index as soon as the book is at the printer, and I have time. There have been several requests!

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline pandaccumulator

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »
I will update the Index as soon as the book is at the printer, and I have time. There have been several requests!

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

That will be great. When do you expect your new book to be available for order? Thanks.

Offline cloudtoground

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »
Rare coins are always the better investment over the long haul but  I would say common would be greater than 40K so an index of 5-40K would be great for a lot of us.  And everyone has to keep in mind that any type of investment will take a 50% hit every now and then.  Every great stock that has done a 20-50 fold has been cut in half at sometime.  So there shouldn't be any surprise if in the chart above goes below 300 or at least gets cut in half at sometime in the future.  You really can't say anything about any 4 year period as an "investment" because that's really only a short term trend.  An investment is something that last decades or a lifetime.  But thanks very much for coming up with such an index.  This could be a benchmark someday to compare returns for Asian coins verses US coins or verses US stock averages. 

I plan to put together a second index for coins under 4 or 5,000 populations. I may even do a third one for common date Pandas. I expect the last one to pretty much track the prices of gold and silver (although maybe it will have some surprises, too). Anyway, the steep slope doesn't scare me at all. It's more a case of someone finally noticing how undervalued these coins have been for years. It will be interesting to track the index in the future.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline cloudtoground

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
I guess this is the list of rarest Pandas.  Is there anway to find out the mintage of each of the 20 coins listed in column format?  For those of us who aren't as knowledgeable in Panda mintage this info would be quite interesting.  I'd love to see a list of rarest lunars.  Does Peter's book on Pandas cover lunars?  Thanks.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
1990 HK is a set, so there are 21 pandas not 20.
: D

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 01:42:18 AM »
Any updates?  By looking at the list,  my guesstimate is we already passed 50% line.  Maybe somewhere 60-70%???

Offline Jay

• Rare Panda Coins Inc
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 01:43:38 AM »
I would also love to see an update to the Panda Pricepedia Index chart.

Jay

Offline jrcannon

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:27 AM »

http://www.pandacollector.com/pricepedia-index.html

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Wow- so this would indicate then that Pandas are a good investment, above and beyond regular bullion? Is that correct?
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." -Haggai 2:8

Offline Jay

• Rare Panda Coins Inc
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »
Indeed.  This chart is Jan 2011, but pandas are much higher now.  In fact as gold dropped $200 in April, Pandas mostly went UP in response to China demand. 

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 03:44:03 AM »
Yes and no.

The Panda Pricepedia 20 Index does not reflect all pandas, it is just an index of some (20 or 21) of the rarer and more expensive Pandas and has not been uodated in a long time. If it were updated it has likely experienced a decline, as those expensive coins popularity has slowed, and prices in many cases even fallen.

However, the more common Pandas which are NOT on the index, have seen a nice run up in price lately and which yes have outgained bullion by quite a large margin during that time.  The PPI will not reflect this.

Simply put, the higher priced rarer pandas in the Pricepedia 20 Index have not kept up with the more common lower priced pandas lately.

is there going to be an update on the Pricepedia Index, or is it being purposefully temporarily vacationed
so as to be PC ? Why has it not been updated in such a long time? Are not the numbers there- monthly, in the Monthly Pricepedia?
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:56 AM »

is there going to be an update on the Pricepedia Index, or is it being purposefully temporarily vacationed
so as to be PC ? Why has it not been updated in such a long time? Are not the numbers there- monthly, in the Monthly Pricepedia?

The Index has been on the back burner while the "Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide" was rewritten. It will be updated soon. Yes, the numbers for each coin are in the China Pricepedia, too. They just haven't been tallied in the Pricepedia Index.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »
9/21 of those coins are non-fiat (medals). I would think that less than 9/21 of the Pandas sold were non-fiat.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 09:25:37 AM »

http://www.pandacollector.com/pricepedia-index.html

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Will there be any update on this original index?  The only one that seems to be mentioned now is the China Pricepedia MCM index, which was started more recently and has different coins?