Author Topic: Panda Pricepedia 20 Index  (Read 21931 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Panda Pricepedia 20 Index
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:25:56 AM »

http://www.pandacollector.com/pricepedia-index.html

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline digbird

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Panda Pricepedia 20 Index
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »
Wow...what a rocket ride. Scares me a bit when I see charts with such steep inclinations. Good work on your part though Peter for tracking all the sales and latest prices. cheers

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
Wow...what a rocket ride. Scares me a bit when I see charts with such steep inclinations. Good work on your part though Peter for tracking all the sales and latest prices. cheers

Please keep in mind that this is a measurement of rare coin prices. None of the coins in it appear for sale very often and when they do they are, of late, usually the subjects of intense interest. This particular index is meant to partly address the question of whether rare Pandas can be good investments.

I plan to put together a second index for coins under 4 or 5,000 populations. I may even do a third one for common date Pandas. I expect the last one to pretty much track the prices of gold and silver (although maybe it will have some surprises, too). Anyway, the steep slope doesn't scare me at all. It's more a case of someone finally noticing how undervalued these coins have been for years. It will be interesting to track the index in the future.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline BChung

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
do you think you can even break it down to silver vs gold panda? or even for Platinum and Palladiums too....

It would be even better if you can break it down by year of the Panda's issue. (Maybe I am asking too much :001_tongue:)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »
I'll publish the components of the Index first in Panda Pricepedia and later on the Pandacollector.com website. Then you can see how the different metals compare. The biggest obstacle in constructing this list was that half the coins that would qualify by population haven't sold publicly often enough to make a continuous chart from. Each coin is really a special situation although the basket does give a general description of one end of the market.

I think the Index for 5,000 and under populations will lend itself better to comparing gold vs silver vs platinum Pandas.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline MrOrganic

• WORLDCOLLECTIBLES310
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:21:28 PM »
I'll publish the components of the Index first in Panda Pricepedia and later on the Pandacollector.com website. Then you can see how the different metals compare. The biggest obstacle in constructing this list was that half the coins that would qualify by population haven't sold publicly often enough to make a continuous chart from. Each coin is really a special situation although the basket does give a general description of one end of the market.

I think the Index for 5,000 and under populations will lend itself better to comparing gold vs silver vs platinum Pandas.

Very impressive peter! Keep up the great work. Be sure to stop by the play del rey show the 15/16th an say hi.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
EMERGING MARKET GROUP  
195 south BEVERLY Dr. BEVERLY HILLS

Long Beach Expo
..Table #838

DECEMBER: Macau/H.K.

JANUARY: N.Y.

AUGUST: Hong Kong

GO TO my Ebay Click: http://stores.ebay.com/worldcollectibles310

EMERGING MARKET GROUP

PCGS,NGC & PMG Auth. Dealer
美国收藏家 – 收藏中国现代金银

EMGWORLDEWIDE@GMAIL.COM
WECHAT: LAMBORGHINICA

Offline Silver_Surfer_99

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »
Thank you Peter very much! I've shared this chart and info with my contacts.  Nothing like driving your own market... :biggrin:

Offline MrOrganic

• WORLDCOLLECTIBLES310
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
Please keep in mind that this is a measurement of rare coin prices. None of the coins in it appear for sale very often and when they do they are, of late, usually the subjects of intense interest. This particular index is meant to partly address the question of whether rare Pandas can be good investments.

I plan to put together a second index for coins under 4 or 5,000 populations. I may even do a third one for common date Pandas. I expect the last one to pretty much track the prices of gold and silver (although maybe it will have some surprises, too). Anyway, the steep slope doesn't scare me at all. It's more a case of someone finally noticing how undervalued these coins have been for years. It will be interesting to track the index in the future.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Agreed, people finally understanding there true value!
EMERGING MARKET GROUP  
195 south BEVERLY Dr. BEVERLY HILLS

Long Beach Expo
..Table #838

DECEMBER: Macau/H.K.

JANUARY: N.Y.

AUGUST: Hong Kong

GO TO my Ebay Click: http://stores.ebay.com/worldcollectibles310

EMERGING MARKET GROUP

PCGS,NGC & PMG Auth. Dealer
美国收藏家 – 收藏中国现代金银

EMGWORLDEWIDE@GMAIL.COM
WECHAT: LAMBORGHINICA

blsachs

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 10:56:50 PM »
I think the best way to track panda performance vs. silver and gold is to create a SILVER PANDA INDEX and a GOLD PANDA INDEX. 

SILVER PANDA INDEX
All one ounce Brilliant Uncirculated Pandas from 1989 to present (all varieties)

GOLD PANDA INDEX
Here I would recommend the most commonly collected denominations (1 oz., 1/2 oz., 1/10 oz.) and again record prices for just BU coins from 1982 to present.

I would leave out proof coins as proofs are usually a "collectors" choice and not a "bullion buyers" choice.  Thus if you want to compare bullion silver and gold to "bullion" pandas then I believe staying with the BU pandas is the best way to do that.  I think these two indices would be the best way to gauge a straight up silver and gold index to a "silver panda index" and "gold panda index". 

Just my opinion and something I would love to see.  For the most part, I think they would track relatively closely, but if it shows something surprising, which it might, that would be the interesting part.

BTW, Thanks for all your work Peter.

Offline allen04

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »
Nice work. Wish I had bought more two years ago.

That is what Chinese and US government accomplished. Bad stock market, too much money printed. Many people going back to silver and gold. Big inflation in China also help the craziness of the panda.

Offline 123panda

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
I think the Silver Proof 1 oz Pandas from 1983 to 1996 would be a natural.  I am not sure how far back your data goes.
I believe most of us here are collectors and not just bullion buyers.  
In the beginning that is all there was, there was never bullion coins in Silver anyway, but always rare coins. Very Limited mintages.
We paid a premium then and would like to see how it would compare to the Bullion Market, I would suspect it will hold up in any down turn better than any bullion coins would.
But then again we collectors love the Panda's anyway.  Up or Down we collect them.

Of course there are Bullion Silver Panda's now and have been since 1989, the BU's.  Which have done very nicely lately.
But then so has bullion.  

Thanks Peter for your hard work.
123panda

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:13:26 PM »

I think the best way to track panda performance vs. silver and gold is to create a SILVER PANDA INDEX and a GOLD PANDA INDEX. 

SILVER PANDA INDEX
All one ounce Brilliant Uncirculated Pandas from 1989 to present (all varieties)

GOLD PANDA INDEX
Here I would recommend the most commonly collected denominations (1 oz., 1/2 oz., 1/10 oz.) and again record prices for just BU coins from 1982 to present.

I like this idea very much and it is on my to do list. It may take some time before I can get to it, though. I have some extra personal motivation to create these indexes, too. Last week, for the first time, I went back over the coins that have been recommended in the Panda Pricepedia. I compared their prices when they were first featured and their prices now. I did the same for gold and silver during this time period using Kitco's historical data. It's been a good 10 months for everybody: silver is up by 36%/yr, gold by 43%/yr, and the Pricepedia recommendations by 157%/yr. That was a relief as I considered my real test to be to beat bullion, not paper money. The one thing I still need to complete the picture is the indexes you describe. Hopefully the time to construct them will be available soon. The second edition of my book and the monthly Pricepedia have priority, though.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »
GOLD PANDA INDEX

Don't leave out the proofs!
Proofs are important. If you don't include them then perhaps a Proof Panda index so you can see the dispairity between owning MS vs owning PF coins.

Offline cloudtoground

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 02:31:57 AM »
I'm interested in the silver pandas (non bullion) with mintages of 40,000 or less.  I think most of the rarer silver pandas are between 10-40K and that's what a lot of us collect.  The 40K to 200K could be another category.  Myself I don't care as much about the pandas that have a mintage of over 200k although others might be interested.  The pandas that are being produced today that have mintages over 1 million probably won't appreciate too much anytime in the future and are almost like bullion to me.
I wouldn't mind seeing something like that for the lunars, especially the dragons.  However I think the chart will be coming down in 2012-2013 given the quick run up.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »
What are the underlying coins in the index Peter?