Author Topic: StacksBowersPonterio auction  (Read 837 times)

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
StacksBowersPonterio auction
« on: October 01, 2020, 09:26:13 PM »
StacksBowersPonterio auction

The auctions are ready to begin in a few days (October 5-9, 2020).  They are being held in Kowloon without the benefit of a major coin show to attract coin dealers, investors or collectors into the Hong Kong SAR from afar.  Lot viewing by appointment only at the Stacks Bowers offices in the Mira Tower (or earlier in their California offices).  I do not know if the social distancing rules will permit bidding from the auction floor for certain of the auction events.  Still, bidding is permitted by internet, proxy, telephone, email, mail and fax.

The catalogs show an amazing array of Chinese and foreign coins, currency, etc.

I have already bid on a few of the items (and have already been outbid on several).  When I am at home, I have trouble staying awake to watch and bid online during the event due to the significant time difference.  Normally, I plan to stay up for the event and find myself nodding off in my chair in front of the computer.

What do you think?  Are there items in the auction which catch your eye?  Will you bid on them?  Will you stay awake to watch the event on your computer?

Does your approach change if you live in the PRC, Hong Kong, USA or Europe?

Mark Bonke

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: StacksBowersPonterio auction
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 07:33:33 AM »
Could you post a link to the auction so we can view the items?

Google to NGC and read article by Mark Salzberg.....

Offline bonke

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 09:18:47 AM »
Pandamonium

Just visit StacksBowers.com and look at the list of upcoming auctions.  The Hong Kong auctions are broken into multiple sessions with different types of material in each session.

Purchasing from afar is difficult.  Consider the high bullion prices, the 20% buyer's commission and the duty for US buyers (for certain items being shipped to the USA) when determining an appropriate bid.  Then, consider the difficulty in determining condition for graded and ungraded items when viewing such items on your computer or other smart device.  Remember, a 69 grade is not the same from coin to coin or from grading service to grading service.

Still, you do not have to bid to look.  Check out the site.  See what is being offered.  And, if you can stay awake, see if there is active bidding during the session for a particular item.  Then, share your observations and wisdom with us after the events are completed.

Mark Bonke

Offline bonke

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »
Consistent to my prior conduct, I fell asleep early and missed Sessions A & B of the Stacks Bowers Ponterio auction in Kowloon.  I hope a few of you watched the bidding to see whether the market in Kowloon is as strong as we have been led to believe. 

I was watching the pre-auction bidding on the 1910 Pei Yang $3 note.  This morning, I look forward to searching the auction results to determine the selling price.  Without doubt, I am envious of the successful bidder.

Mark Bonke

Online KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 02:37:28 PM »
I don't expect to win anything, the supply in mainland is so limited that they will buy up at stronger prices than what is possible in the US.  Even in the US the supply is very limited, I am back to buying 1/4, 1/10 and 1/20 because hard to find 1 and 1/2 anymore. 

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 09:19:43 PM »
Pandamonium

Just visit StacksBowers.com and look at the list of upcoming auctions.  The Hong Kong auctions are broken into multiple sessions with different types of material in each session.

Purchasing from afar is difficult.  Consider the high bullion prices, the 20% buyer's commission and the duty for US buyers (for certain items being shipped to the USA) when determining an appropriate bid.  Then, consider the difficulty in determining condition for graded and ungraded items when viewing such items on your computer or other smart device.  Remember, a 69 grade is not the same from coin to coin or from grading service to grading service.

Still, you do not have to bid to look.  Check out the site.  See what is being offered.  And, if you can stay awake, see if there is active bidding during the session for a particular item.  Then, share your observations and wisdom with us after the events are completed.

Mark Bonke

Auction house wants 20%?    Ebay wants 10%.   Paypal wants 3 1/2%??    I round it up to 15% for ebay sales.   

This should be a interesting auction and hopefully my computer will work as i have been offline since Sat since inventory is so low.....

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 08:48:13 AM »
https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-O5F0W/china-dollar-year-22-1933-pcgs-ms-66-gold-shield

Imagine being the seller who expected to sell your coin for the $6,000-$9,000 auction estimate, and you watch it be bid up to more than $70,000  :thumbup1:

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »
The eye appeal comment makes no sense to me, I think it has worst eye appeal, looks like it badly needs conservation and doesn't even come close to looking like a 66.  Vintage stuff is red hot.  Collectors have money to spend and they are spending it.  There was very little modern stuff on sale, I didn't win a single item. 

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 10:28:51 AM »
The eye appeal comment makes no sense to me, I think it has worst eye appeal, looks like it badly needs conservation and doesn't even come close to looking like a 66. 

On certain coins, when you rotate the coin at slightly different angles there can be a magnificent array of colors.  Yet, that doesn't show up in photos, no matter how many shots you take.  Perhaps it was that?  Being top pop doesn't hurt either.  All it takes it two people with deep pockets to start a bidding war.

Offline pandaccumulator

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 11:34:51 AM »
This was a very competitive auction, I won 2 out of 10 lots, the lowest percentage in five years. Quite limited supply on MCC. Gold pandas and cultures are coming back, unicorns are still "out of favor".

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 01:43:17 PM »
I thought the unicorn prices were very strong. 

1995 bimetal was $1500 earlier in the year
1996 1/4 I sold out at $575 earlier in the year
1996 1/2 I sold at $1100 earlier in the year

Only the Berlin and Singapore 5oz gold medals struggled.  I would guess that poor support from sponsor is the issue here or collectors view them as value traps or mintage traps. 

Offline pandaccumulator

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 01:58:25 PM »
I thought the unicorn prices were very strong. 

1995 bimetal was $1500 earlier in the year
1996 1/4 I sold out at $575 earlier in the year
1996 1/2 I sold at $1100 earlier in the year

Only the Berlin and Singapore 5oz gold medals struggled.  I would guess that poor support from sponsor is the issue here or collectors view them as value traps or mintage traps. 

The 95 5 oz gold unicorn was sold for $42,000 and 96 1/4 oz pt sold for $2640. those were the new lows in years for the two key coins.

Offline ChineseCoinQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AKA “PandaQuest”

Offline china-silvercoin

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 09:32:20 AM »
Hey there,
does anyone know why this coin was so valuable?

Peter A. says 600 USD?

Thx

Offline bonke

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 10:45:45 AM »
This 2001 rectangular silver 5oz snake is hard to find in a 69.  Only the 2011 rabbit is more difficult (at this time).

Mark Bonke

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 03:54:26 AM »
Hey there,
does anyone know why this coin was so valuable?

Peter A. says 600 USD?

Thx
:001_unsure:
1888 max.mintage and it
looks like many varieties?
snake with small 50 ( 50 far from snake head )
snake with large 50 ( 50 near snake head )
https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5779/Modern-Chinese-Varieties-2001-Silver-50Y-Snake/

snake with small 50 ( 50 near snake head )
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=16642.msg90128#msg90128

btw.
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=8062.msg46919

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 05:43:35 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 06:49:00 AM »
1888 max.mintage and it
https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5779/Modern-Chinese-Varieties-2001-Silver-50Y-Snake/

btw.

Are there similar varieties for the 2000 Dragon rectangle?

Offline china-silvercoin

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 07:38:54 AM »
1888 max.mintage and it

btw.

Many thx wg

So this was a rare variety, I was not  aware of.
Still a lot to learn!

Keep going.

And the Vintage coin section was red red hot, omg, saw one coin with 100 estimate That went for 9200!

Offline china-silvercoin

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 07:56:57 AM »
This 2001 rectangular silver 5oz snake is hard to find in a 69.  Only the 2011 rabbit is more difficult (at this time).

Mark Bonke

Thx Mark

I knew the 2011 rabbit is hard to find. Btw my feeling is, that this coin was hoarded directly from the mint?!

2001 snake was always available, supply changed just recently?

Offline bonke

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 11:15:11 AM »
Remember to watch for filed rims with the early years of this series.  Very frequent with the dragons and somewhat frequent with the snakes.  I do not remember for subsequent years.  I always guessed mint employees filed the high rims before packaging.  Still, this is speculation and I do not know this to be true or know anyone to ask.

Mark Bonke