Author Topic: Transporting an MCC Collection  (Read 903 times)

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Transporting an MCC Collection
« on: August 07, 2020, 09:50:07 PM »
I have relocated from CA to TX. When I first moved here, I left my MCC collection in CA with a family member. Now that I'm more established in TX, I would like to bring my collection (about 150 total coins, most slabbed, 50-75 fairly valuable coins) with me.

What are my options? How would you do it?

I can think of . . .
USPS Express mail
USPS registered mail
Drive them in a car
Round trip flight and bring them aboard
Pay for a special shipping service?
Have a trusted coin dealer ship them to me?

Offline pandaccumulator

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Transporting an MCC Collection
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 11:00:13 PM »
150 coins sounds a lot, if they are significant in value, I would travel by flight and pick them up myself.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 11:16:04 PM »
And carry them on the flight, right? In what would you recommend I carry them, a briefcase? Should I expect them to be scrutinized by TSA? I have never carried more than a handful of coins on a plane before.

(Thank you for your input, by the way)

150 coins sounds a lot, if they are significant in value, I would travel by flight and pick them up myself.

Offline pandaccumulator

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:37:38 PM »
Yes, I would carry them in a carry-on briefcase by flight. You will pass TSA inspection. Just watch your bag more closely at security check point.

Offline Clark Smith

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • See our coins at www.coinvault.com
    • Clark Smith
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 12:19:58 AM »
Just take them on a plane with you.    They will inspect around the coins (as they come up black on the x-ray), or sometimes they take out the coins and run the bag again.

Put them in a plastic bag so you don't have loose coins that might "go missing" when they open your bag.   They won't open the plastic bags if they can see what is inside and feel the contents.

It seems scary the first time, but I have done it a million times with no issues.

There are no laws concerning coins.    They might give you a few questions if you have a pile of cash.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 07:20:38 AM »
Go to the airport and hire a private plane to transport you and your coins......    Extra cost but worth it...

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 08:40:51 AM »
Are these all small coins or medals?

If they are, the encapsulated coins will easily fit within four double row boxes, these boxes will easily fit within a small suitcase and this suitcase will easily fit under the seat in front of you on the plane.  Just do not sit in a bulkhead seat if you wish to keep your suitcase within eye sight during the flights.

If they are not, it is difficult to carry many encapsulated 5oz, 12oz or kilo coins or medals with you on the airplane.  They may be better suited for shipment by registered mail.

My experiences with TSA employees have always been positive when they are curious about the contents of my carry-on luggage. 

Personally, I would not fly and I would not mail my coins.  I would use this as an excuse to drive back to California and return with my coins to Texas.  A roadtrip.  I would enjoy seeing all of the motorhomes on the highways as people are escaping from the cities into rural America.  Still, with this option, you do have to be a little careful with your one bag of precious possessions.

Best Wishes on your new adventure in the most liberal part of Texas (Round Rock?)!!!

Mark Bonke

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
My suggestion is go with Clark's flying advice first. I have taken some interesting coins through security without problems, too. TSA just looks. Even outbound international flights that is all they do. Second choice is Mark's driving plan.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide
Home of the 2020 Valentine Panda
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 05:57:33 PM »
Due to concerns of possible risk of contracting the CCP Virus, I would NOT fly. Driving may be a hassle, but it is the safest method for both your health (MOST important) and your coins.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 06:55:40 PM »
There's a lot to think about, but at least I have decided what option not to pursue for now (USPS). I want the coins in my possession, whether in flight or on the road. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 01:10:51 AM »
USPS registered mail is fine going into TX.  I ship packages there all the time without a single delay.  Shipping to NY, NJ and CA are more troublesome.

I planning a trip to Austin this month, will drive down.  Buying coins and real estate in the area. 

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 07:46:44 AM »
Perhaps we will cross paths then. PM me.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 03:44:31 PM »
There's a lot to think about, but at least I have decided what option not to pursue for now (USPS). I want the coins in my possession, whether in flight or on the road. Thanks for the input, everyone.
If you are to drive, it would be advisable to have someone with you to help watch your stuff. You never want to leave your stuff unattended at any point. There are stories of coin dealers followed after coin shows. This might not be applicable to you. But, caution is advised. Whatever you decide, I wish you a safe trip.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »
Thank you for the reminder!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 05:16:34 PM »
Good for you leaving CA and moving to TX.    It has been reported on Steve Bannon War Room and America's Voice that CA is going to open up their prisons and release over 10,000 convicts due to covid excuse.     Some reporters say all prisons will be opened....

OR and WA are also going down the same path.    Insanity.     TX has laws that are enforced and a backbone.    Your family/coins will be safe there....

About 8 yrs ago i sent a message to a coin dealer in Bend OR.    I told him America is dying but he had no clue what i was talking about.     He understands now.....