Author Topic: An update on China's collectible coin market  (Read 1827 times)

Online KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: An update on China's collectible coin market
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
There are two schools of thought.  Those that bought near the peak in 2011-2012 are glad to be up and are selling.  Those that have been buying during the last few years are adding to their positions as prices rise.  Personally I started buying for my own account when gold broke $1450, added more when it broke $1600, added more when it broke $1700 and adding more now that it is above $1900, will add even more once it breaks $2000.  Today I locked 28oz of gold pandas, I will sell 20oz of eagles to offset some of the purchase, but will add 8oz extra oz for the day, yesterday added 7oz, each breakout will continue to add.  I think this cycle has legs as stimulus spending will be trillions of dollars more than people think. 

Platinum I have avoided for almost 5 years, but now I am getting interested in the metal because palladium has done so well and I think platinum has some catching up to do. 

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
Excellent points of view Arif. 

Here’s a third school of thought, there are others like me who’ve been buying gold and silver bullion for 20 years and are tired of managing, maintenance and storage of this bulk and at my age, I see an excellent opportunity to unload and take very nice profits. My hands are as strong as anyone here, I won’t be selling because I need money, I’m selling (or will be) for the reasons mentioned above.   

The thing that’s hardest for me to part with is my gold panda collection but eventually they will go as well as it’s not something I would want my wife to have to deal with selling if something were to happen to me. Fortunately she does have the email contact of two highly regarded board members if this would happen. 

Collections are awesome, taking years/decades to build but at some point, there becomes a time to liquidate. A few years ago, on this forum I mentioned that I was in the process of selling my entire collection of CGC graded books, that was years ago and I’m still selling, the point is that while collecting high value items is rewarding, storing & selling large quantities can be burdensome … especially with a fulltime job and family. I’d be lying if I told you that I don’t think about significant books I’ve sold out of this CGC collection but honestly, I never saw them much as they spent their entire life in bank boxes.

In the end, I will sell every collectible and bullion I own except a few of my favorite gold pandas. Sure, I may think about these things on occasion but will have no remorse in selling. It’s been a hellava ride.  :thumbup:

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2020, 05:58:02 PM »
I once owned over a dozen maybe 2 or 3 dozen 100 oz silver bars including older Englehard w/ boxes years ago.      Sold them all.     Too big, heavy and ran out of cash.     
Due to the astronomical amounts of $ trillions of USD and $ trillions in derivatives (Warren Buffet calls weapons of financial destruction) i like the small size.    1 oz or less silver bullion is enough unless it is Chinese then any size is good.     Also favor small graded gold like 1/20 pandas but only have a few.     
Where to store bulky PM?    For me, never in a bank vault.    One fellow had it in his RV camper floor - full of silver.    Another had it in his outdoor patio hidden in the wood frame floor and posts.    Another big collector put it in his yard in a small grain silo on his farm.     All could be discovered w/ a metal detector......

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 05:22:30 PM »
Thanks guys for the information.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline ShareTheNews

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2020, 05:53:34 AM »

Here’s a third school of thought, there are others like me who’ve been buying gold and silver bullion for 20 years and are tired of managing, maintenance and storage of this bulk and at my age, I see an excellent opportunity to unload and take very nice profits. My hands are as strong as anyone here, I won’t be selling because I need money, I’m selling (or will be) for the reasons mentioned above.   

The thing that’s hardest for me to part with is my gold panda collection but eventually they will go as well as it’s not something I would want my wife to have to deal with selling if something were to happen to me. Fortunately she does have the email contact of two highly regarded board members if this would happen. 

Collections are awesome, taking years/decades to build but at some point, there becomes a time to liquidate. A few years ago, on this forum I mentioned that I was in the process of selling my entire collection of CGC graded books, that was years ago and I’m still selling, the point is that while collecting high value items is rewarding, storing & selling large quantities can be burdensome … especially with a fulltime job and family. I’d be lying if I told you that I don’t think about significant books I’ve sold out of this CGC collection but honestly, I never saw them much as they spent their entire life in bank boxes.

In the end, I will sell every collectible and bullion I own except a few of my favorite gold pandas. Sure, I may think about these things on occasion but will have no remorse in selling. It’s been a hellava ride.  :thumbup:

One of my favorite reads in a long time!  Thanks for the great insights into your thoughts.  I couldn’t agree more with your thought process. I’m sure this is something many of us wrestle with. I do.  When to sell.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2020, 03:06:50 PM »
hh

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »

EXACTLY!!!  Great advice because your kids or grandkids most likely couldn't give a damn about your great collection and the time and effort you expoended over many years. They will sell it off cheaply as soon as you croak! As you are doing, sell so YOU and your wife can enjoy the fruits of your labor!!!!

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2020, 05:43:57 PM »
Selling now sounds to me like getting off at the mezzanine of the Statue of Liberty instead of taking the elevator to the top. Good luck in any case to a great collector.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide
Home of the 2020 Valentine Panda
www.pandacollector.com

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 05:53:51 PM »
One of my favorite reads in a long time!  Thanks for the great insights into your thoughts.  I couldn’t agree more with your thought process. I’m sure this is something many of us wrestle with. I do.  When to sell.
Thank you STN ! Yea so that’s what we always struggle with, when is the right time to sell. Well I’ve said it right here on this forum many times, rarely have I ever sold anything (coins, stocks, etc) that I was not able to buy back cheaper at some point in the future if I wanted to. Picking the top or bottom of anything is tough so we just need to make sure that the move fits our goal!   

EXACTLY!!!  Great advice because your kids or grandkids most likely couldn't give a damn about your great collection and the time and effort you expoended over many years. They will sell it off cheaply as soon as you croak! As you are doing, sell so YOU and your wife can enjoy the fruits of your labor!!!!
Thanks Pandaguy ! haha ! man I always love the way you just straight shoot everything! But you are right and it’s the reason that I want to eventually start selling soon. My wife loves the gold, silver and coins but she would be clueless on the difference between a 1995 and a 1985 Gold Panda so I’d rather ease that burden now and bank the cash. Aside from the bullion and coins, I still have so many damn other collectibles (vintage toys, CGC books) that if I don’t start selling now, my wife and son will be left with a big headache plus as you stated, they’ll probably sell off cheaply as soon as I croak!  :lol:   

Selling now sounds to me like getting off at the mezzanine of the Statue of Liberty instead of taking the elevator to the top. Good luck in any case to a great collector.
Thanks Peter! Well at my price point, I’m already at the mezzanine deck but do plan to ride up a little higher! I would have already started selling some stuff but the truth is, I don’t have the time right now as business travel has me temporarily bogged down. The plus side is that I’ve been getting to enjoy the Rockies (Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico) more often. 

One thing I won’t be selling is my signed Panda books !!! You already know that I have many copies of your books and I’ve even given one to my manager (he loves it) who’s the biggest gold bug I’ve ever met, he’s been buying bullion even longer than I have (35 years) and he also has a few gold pandas. I gave the Panda Book to him before he boarded his flight so he had awesome entertainment for hours. I gave another copy to a guy that I’ve bought and sold with who owns a Jewelry store. The first time I met this guy (several years ago) was when someone sent me a picture from his store with several 1/10 Gold Pandas set in rings. I made a beeline to his store to prevent him from doing this with his remaining pandas wherein I got to know him well and eventually he gave me a tour of his vault which was absolutely “jaw dropping”. You would never image the coins/jewelry that people have brought in and sold to him at melt, I was completely astonished!!!

On a side note, I recently made a pretty cool barter with my gold-bug manager, he traded me a 100g Pamp Suisse bar for a complete Erte Courvoisier Collection (with boxes & COA) in pristine condition. If my memory serves me right, I don’t ever remember trading for gold but it was awesome !             

Offline tkcoin

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2020, 10:01:26 PM »
Another update based on the records for the 2020 Hosane (Shanghai) auction finished a week ago.
There are only about 30 and mostly low value modern China coins in the auction, compare to about 900 old silver coins. The cash coins did not do well either. The paper money/notes did extremely bad, half of the paper notes had no bidder above the starting price. The old silver coins did very well and the results will push the price to higher level.

The 2020 Hosane auction results show this round of surge is very focused on old silver coins. This is very different from the 2010-2011 surge that covered all sectors with modern coins being the hottest.

I don’t know how long this surge can last but right now it is still in the middle of the surge. Old silver coins have a much bigger collector base and popularity base in China. China’s advanced online trading platforms also help the surge by making transaction easy and attracting new and younger buyers. The narrowly focused surge also helps to avoid dilution in attention and capital.

The ultimate winners are the grading companies like PCGS and NGC. In China, PCGS dominates the old coins and NGC dominates modern coins. PCGS graded old coins enjoy huge price margin. Collectors all hate PCGS for its strict standard and slow service but they keep sending their old coins to PCGS. 

2020 is a trying year for China with first coronavirus and then some flood. The 1st Qt. had 6.8% contraction but 2nd Qt. rebounded with 3.2% growth. The consensus for 2020 is about 2-3 % growth in GDP.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
Another update based on the records for the 2020 Hosane (Shanghai) auction finished a week ago.
There are only about 30 and mostly low value modern China coins in the auction, compare to about 900 old silver coins. The cash coins did not do well either. The paper money/notes did extremely bad, half of the paper notes had no bidder above the starting price. The old silver coins did very well and the results will push the price to higher level.

The 2020 Hosane auction results show this round of surge is very focused on old silver coins. This is very different from the 2010-2011 surge that covered all sectors with modern coins being the hottest.

I don’t know how long this surge can last but right now it is still in the middle of the surge. Old silver coins have a much bigger collector base and popularity base in China. China’s advanced online trading platforms also help the surge by making transaction easy and attracting new and younger buyers. The narrowly focused surge also helps to avoid dilution in attention and capital.

The ultimate winners are the grading companies like PCGS and NGC. In China, PCGS dominates the old coins and NGC dominates modern coins. PCGS graded old coins enjoy huge price margin. Collectors all hate PCGS for its strict standard and slow service but they keep sending their old coins to PCGS. 

2020 is a trying year for China with first coronavirus and then some flood. The 1st Qt. had 6.8% contraction but 2nd Qt. rebounded with 3.2% growth. The consensus for 2020 is about 2-3 % growth in GDP.

Great stuff. Love it !!!  N31 N31