Author Topic: Gold/Silver Banknotes Popular?  (Read 254 times)

Offline collectingcoins

• Trade Count: (0)
Gold/Silver Banknotes Popular?
« on: August 11, 2019, 08:16:26 AM »
Does anyone know if these gold and silver notes are popular collectible pieces, either by ‘westerners’ or in China?  They do look beautiful. I’m amazed at how they make notes from pure silver and gold and it looks like paper.  Any info is much appreciated.

Offline FengHuang

• New
Re: Gold/Silver Banknotes Popular?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »
Hello! I think these are largely unknown in the west. I only first heard about them while I was living in China and thought they were beautiful and was able to get a number of them. As far as their popularity in China? I can't quite say, but often they will come with COAs that share their mintage/printing numbers and most seem to be around 50,000 to 250,00. There seems to be a lot of private printing, but by far the most popular (and best quality) is by the China Goal Coin Incorporation. Shanghai, Nanjing, and Shenyang mints have put out products from time to time but those seems to be a bit more sporadic, unlike the China Goal Coin Incorporation which puts out the New Years 福 notes every year (starting in 2015).

These New Years 福 notes are usually paired with the 8gram silver New Years 福 coins. And I can tell you that those coins are extremely popular, particularly among newer Chinese coin collectors because of their lower price. The first release of that coin (also 2015) has appreciated so incredibly much in value.

Anyway, I have no idea about the gold notes since I don't collect gold, but all in all they are actually really beautiful notes, which is why I starting buying them. There are some sellers on eBay who sell some of them, but it's obviously more difficult to get them elsewhere besides China.

Offline FengHuang

• New
Re: Gold/Silver Banknotes Popular?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
meant to upload these pictures as well